Immobiliser - insurance co. wants 'certificate' - gfewster

Hi all,

Recently sold my 1997 MkIII Golf GTi to my brother.

He's just got his insurance paperwork through, and as part of this they have asked him to send them a copy of the 'immobiliser fitting certificate'. He declared standard VW factory fit immobiliser, as I always did when it was mine. To my knowledge, that's what it has.

He rang them up thinking it was just a misunderstanding - he explained that it wasn't a fancy aftermarket bit of kit that came with a certificate for insurance purposes - it was just the standard factory fit immobiliser.

They countered that he then needed to get a garage or a dealer to inspect the vehicle and supply a certificate showing that an immobiliser was present.

Issues:

1. All the years I had that car, no insurer (and I used a few) ever asked for anything like that.

2. Would such a 'certificate' even be worth the paper it is written on?

I've told him the legal position is that he needs to inspect the terms of insurance cover and see if it includes anything about having to prove prescence of security features. I feel they're pushing him about a bit, and I'd probably tell them to take a running jump. Any garage or dealer would probably want paying to produce such a 'certificate'.... What next, having to get a certificate to prove that the doors shut??!!

Thoughts?

Immobiliser - insurance co. wants 'certificate' - ohsoslow

A basic spec 1996 MX-5 I owned came with a certificate to verify the existance of the immobiliser. It was fitted as an option by the dealer prior to delivery to its first owner as the details on it were from a company near to the supplying dealer, dated before the first registration date.

Even with this arrangement I had no trouble with insurance companies requiring to see the certificate, even though I always declared it as a dealer fitted rather than factory fitted system. I presume had I made a claim the insurance company would have demanded to see a certificate.

Immobiliser - insurance co. wants 'certificate' - jc2

Don't know about VW but with some manufacturers you'll find one in the back of the driver's manual.

Immobiliser - insurance co. wants 'certificate' - martint123

Looking at the Thatcham site, only the May 1998 onwards immobilisers are certified.

Immobiliser - insurance co. wants 'certificate' - turbo11

Same happened to me years ago when renewing my car insurance with a new insurance company. I was asked for a certificate. I rang up the insurance company and told them it was a factory fit Thatcham approved immobiliser , and they were happy. I don't know why they asked as it was a brand new Mazda.