tax disc (or lack of) on european import - homer
A company is importing my new car for me. The car will be in the country in the next day or two but the certificate of conformity has been sent by mail and is unlikely to be here before Friday.

If it is sent off to the DVLA with my insurance certificate on Friday they won't get it until Monday. When the DVLA send my V5 and tax disc (hopefully Tuesday) the tax will be from 01/11 so can I get away with picking it up on Saturday and should I be worried about cameras that can read my registration and are linked to the DVLA to check for tax?

To me this seems like a crazy process where you have to insure your car for a period that you can't drive it (the time taken by the DVLA). I'm not trying to avoid paying tax but I feel I could get penalised if I pick it up on Saturday.

Has anyone else been in this situation and where do I stand legally? What is likely to happen to me if I get pulled over - I know there are a few members of the police who contribute to this forum so I'd appreciate your opinions.

Thanks
tax disc (or lack of) on european import - The Watcher
You have to register and tax it within 14 days of arrival in the country and you need the CoC to do this.

As the 14 day limit wont take you to the beginning of the next month ie December, you have to tax it from the start of the current month ie Novemeber.

There's no way around this Im afraid. The DVLA have a two day turn around on imports and if that coincides with a weekend, its how it is.
tax disc (or lack of) on european import - Dwight Van Driver
If Plod stops you for Excise offence you will have bits and pieces to explain your position. Assuming it is PC Attila and he report you it is not an offence covered by FPN (except fail to display - has any body been done for this?) He will submit DVLA Form CLE2/6 to Swansea which outlines where and when you were stopped and brief explanation. DVLA then check their records by which time you will have been given a Licence so NFA.

I presume the people with the VRM reading equipment will go through a similar exercise.

Not adviseable to use on a road even for the shortest duration in November and then take out Licence from 1.12. Big trouble.

DVD