The Donkey trap future - motoring with no motor - oilrag

Elegance is dead really don`t you think? It`s been a steady downhill run since the Art Deco era and now across the world slobbery prevails in dress and attitude.

Shambling figures in tatty jeans, bloated by the puffery of wadding and internal padding. Long gone, the effort or fashion of looking good - except in France, where the odd female of a certain age stands as a beacon of desire and fashion that actually attracts the jaded eye.

Best not mention the blokes, pants hanging off flaccid bottoms and in age, gardening blue jeans and fleece tops - multi piled with 10,000 washing cycles on 60c and twinned with the rotting garbage sack, composting under the apple tree in outer Mongolia.

What chance then for the Motor Car?

Given the entrophy of taste in society and forward sloping window lines, making standing cars look like they are moving downhill, while standing still.( That nausea inducing look of the wedge of cheese, on top of a brick) No return to the elegance of yesteryear then, when battery fails to deliver and the global norm returns to hoof and wheel.

No carriages of laquered wood, pulled by fine horses and tended by sophisticated tastes of a century gone.

Just rough, donkey pulled carts then - rough wood shafts and old lada wheels - incubus snorting and swigging cider while puffing smoke into the empty bottle to meet personal emission laws of 2012.

Post inspired by the new Fiat Doblo - 2010.

oilrag

The Donkey trap future - motoring with no motor - veryoldbear

This sounds a bit like Romania.

The Donkey trap future - motoring with no motor - Herr Sandwichmann

Hello Oilrag,

I don't share your pessimism.

I see a lot of well dressed folk about, particularly the young ones, who take as much time and care as any generation of young people to make sure that they look good. As for me, I can scrub up with the best of them when I need to, but at the weekend you'll no doubt find me with my old jeans and as yet bobble free fleece on.

Think back to the Art Deco era (20s? 30s?) - how many people could afford to purchase motor cars then? Many were living in utter poverty and squalor, not knowing where their next meals were coming from and experiencing exploitation and harsh treatment from uncaring bosses. The idea of owning any vehicle would have been just as fanciful to them as me going for a drive on the moon.

HS

The Donkey trap future - motoring with no motor - Armstrong Sid
Just rough, donkey pulled carts then - rough wood shafts and old lada wheels

If the world does end up going in this direction, you can be pretty certain that the government of the day will come up with a donkey tax to compensate for the loss of revenue caused by the decline in fuel sales

The Donkey trap future - motoring with no motor - dieseldogg
Dare I say I think I like the new 2010 Doblo.
Proper practical it is, a triumph of function & form over fashion, thank heavens.
The Donkey trap future - motoring with no motor - JH

Oilrag,

you've been listening to Ray Davies haven't you? "Stand up comic" :-)

JH

No, but i might look him up ;-)

The Donkey trap future - motoring with no motor - madf

When the oil runs out, we shall all drive rickshaws.

To get any state benefit, you will have to act as coolie...:-)

The Donkey trap future - motoring with no motor - JH

I think Oilrag's concern is that they should be tasteful rickshaws. A bit of master craftsmen about them. Not some old tat knocked out in Granny's Rickshaw Factory.

JH

Actually......

picasaweb.google.com/spamtrap362/Shafted#

Captions please - if the link works.