CANbus help wanted - WorkshopTech
We have a VAG stereo from an Octavia II that a customer wants to us to fit into a Fabia II. It will physically fit, but I think the Octavia is CANbus 2.0 and the Fabia uses CANbus 1.6. I dont know what the implications of this are and we dont want to start the job and waste time, or worse still do damage. Does anyone have sufficient genuine knowledge to comment on whether this will work or not (Im not interested in speculation).
I had a search of the internet and looked on the skoda forum but couldnt find anything useful.
CANbus help wanted - Bagpuss
As far as I know the stereo will actually function in the Fabia despite the different CANBus standards.

However, in order to make use of the additional features such as steering wheel buttons and speedo signal (for automatic volume compensation and navigation if it has one) you'll have to fit a CANBus 1.6 to 2.0 Converter. These cost around 130 Euros.
CANbus help wanted - cheddar

Have a look at and/or talk to Autoleads, they may be able to advise:

www.autoleads.co.uk/index.html

I have spoken to them and used their products in the past, a good service.

CANbus help wanted - WorkshopTech
OK, thanks for the input. 130Euro is out of the question because the customer only paid £200 for the stereo. It has no extra features (sterring wheel control etc) so I think we will go ahead and fit it and see how we get on. Obviously we check the key connections (power, gnd and speakers). That's all we need really.