Nicked for protecting yourself and your car? - tack
So, you are sitting in the drivers seat of your cherished Golf MkV1. Ignition is off, drivers door open. You are about to make a phone call on your mobile. Your car keys are on the seat between your legs. You are in a country village location, not a scroaty area.

You are vaguely aware that a large 4x4 has pulled up behind you and you are blocked in (you are faced inwards towards a brick wall) Suddenly, a man reaches in to the car and attempts to snatch your keys. In doing so, he inadvertently pushes them under your groin and touches your privates with his hand as he scrabbles for your keys.

He gets them, but you have hold of his wrist with both hands and you are jerked out of the car as he tries to make off with them. You struggle violently with him and twist your shoulder badly.

You are 54, have Parkinsons and a heart condition, man boobs and a belly. You are being violently pushed backwards and know that if you go to ground, you are done for.

The guy is younger and stockier than you, extremely violent. As a LAST RESORT to protect yourself and your valuable property, you crack him one, once, to the cheek to try to stop him assaulting you and making off with your keys.

He lets go of you and you get back into the car, you attempt to start the car to get away, but he yanks the door open and attempts to snatch your keys out of the ignition. In fact, (unbeknown to you at that moment) the key fob breaks in half and he has the top half, the remainder is in the ignition still. You think he has the whole key, and you still struggle with him. Again, he is violent and abusive.

Police are called and on arrival, the man still has half your key fob in his hand. His car still blocking you in. Trembling violently after having your shoulder wrenched, and from increased Parkinsons tremor due to extreme stress, you tell police exactly what took place and allege attempted theft and assault . The man is known to police. He also alleges assault and wants to go to hospital as he feels dizzy and sick. An ambulance is called for him after he is arrested.

Incredibly, you are arrested for assault, despite the fact that the other guy still had your half a car key when they arrived on the scene, with the other half in the ignition. This is at 5.30pm. You are taken to the police station. You have chest pains and shoulder pain and paramedics are called. You have an ECG done in the custody area, but marked as fit for detention. You are refused a phone call, despite not meeting criteria for being held incommunicado. You try to explain the facts to the custody officer because the arresting officer failed to give the full circumstances. However, you are told to shut up. You are held until 2am! It is only when you make an impassioned plea to the night duty custody officer and inspector that it is decided that you are, indeed a victim, not a miscreant.

This took place despite the fact that you were a cop for 30yrs, are an upstanding citizen still serving the public through work as a Trading Standards officer investigating rogue traders, car clockers and counterfeiters, identified yourself to police as such, showed identification etc.

Without using blood or bile in your pen, how do YOU think you would feel? How angry would you be? Would it be the last thing on your mind at night and the first thing on your mind in the morning as your gut contracts in a cold and bitter fury at your treatment? Would you wake up laughing maniacally as you wrestle with the idea it could possibly happen?

Answers on a postcard!
Nicked for protecting yourself and your car? - FP
I am absolutely speechless.
Nicked for protecting yourself and your car? - Lud
tack, did this happen to you or someone you know? It's almost beyond belief.

Is there any back story?
Yes, it happened to me. Watch this space! I am utterly, utterly beside myself with anger. I don't have sufficient words to explain how I feel at the moment. It is the only thing I can think of at the moment, and even the last gasp West Ham goals which earned a draw against arsenal tonight cannot bring me back from the bile and blood thought pit I am submerged in.

{minor edit as innocent word got caught by the swear filter}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/10/2009 at 21:10

Nicked for protecting yourself and your car? - retgwte
you were using minimum force to try and affect a citizens arrest

a punch was reasonable minimum force in the circumstances to try and affect a citizens arrest

no jury in the country will convict you if this is what you were doing

Nicked for protecting yourself and your car? - Waino
These days, it all seems to be stacked against the law-abiding citizen - but this is the worst I've ever heard.

I wish you a swift recovery from your trauma.
Nicked for protecting yourself and your car? - harib
You don't seem to have much luck with the police, which is ironic, seeing as you're an ex officer.

What happened to you sounds disgusting. I think minimum local paper involvement, but maybe the tabloids would be interested if it went down as you said it did. Plus obviously lodge a formal complaint. Hope you're not in any serious pain.
Nicked for protecting yourself and your car? - Cheeky
A disgrace and an outrage. AND as you state, you were a policeman for 30yrs to boot. I really wonder what the hell has happened to this country. If it is any consolation, a family living (in a nice area) were broken into. The burglar fell while trying to access the upper floor and fell through the conservatory roof. He tried to sue, and guess what -- was nearly successful.

Tack -- I really hope you have a satisfactory conclusion to this. I agree, a local paper would be a plan to get your story out. Good luck....
Nicked for protecting yourself and your car? - gordonbennet
Tack, i have the utmost sympathy with you.

I am not in the least surprised, in similar circumstances i would probably be being held for something very serious now.

The reason we have this lunacy is political and this is not the forum for the discussion.
A complete change is needed before we descend into the pit.

You may know current serving officer's, they may well tell you if it's worth your time making a formal complaint....in my cynical mind i imagine not.

I hope you mend well old chap, a truly dreadful and unjust experience par for the course in our new era.
Nicked for protecting yourself and your car? - Rattle
Sadly this story is all too common :( My cousin got arrested for knicking a car despite the fact he had a Tesco uniform on. Whie he was being locked up in the car the police radioed in the description and they said over the radio it was not him.

The only reason they arrested him was he was a 16 year old lad near to a scene of a car crime. Once they realised they didn't even apologise. The problem with the police is they seem to be too heavy handed at times.

I think you do need to complain because nothing will be done about the few rough and arrogant coppers who give the good ones a bad name otherwise. Your experience is shameful.

Did you even get an apology?
Believe me, it is going further! I have a whole long list of people who are going to hear from me and a lawyer.

In fact, having expatiated to like minded people via this very valuable forum I feel a whole lot better. I know that people who contribute here would be appalled.

Bearing in mind that legal proceedings may follow, would it be an idea to lock?

I just needed to vent to stop myself bursting in a shower of pink fluffy dice

{Whilst I understand your anger, there's no need to take it out on the swear filter}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/10/2009 at 21:11

Nicked for protecting yourself and your car? - MissScatty
If you want maximum publicity, which I think you should seek, then put a video on YouTube.

It won't take long before someone will sit up and pay attention.
Nicked for protecting yourself and your car? - retgwte
I was mugged at an airshow this summer, 2 thugs wanted my camera, wallet etc, and I was walking along with a heavily pregnant wife

I didn't really know there were only 2 of them when it started

They threatened to kill me

I did what you're not supposed to do and fought back, I was wearing heavy boots and was able to get some good kicks in as well as a few punches, although they were also landing some good punches

Some hilarious comments from them "you're not allowed to kick that's not a fair fight" hey it was 2 onto 1 and they were the thieving toe rags!

I was in the middle of a big crowd of thousands and precisely zero folk stepped in to help

It took place in front of CCTV cameras, and one of them was easily identifiable

The cops afterwards were sympathetic, I have no idea how they would have reacted if the muggers has complained against me

As it is they disappeared and the cops were unable to track them down

Massively unimpressed with the whole thing, I'm amazed with so many cameras around and such an easily identified culprit that they couldn't get em

I'm getting too old for stuff like this though

Any attempt to prosecute me would be met with strong self defence, and minimum force to try and make a citizens arrest arguments together with complaints etc, although in this country nowadays I wouldnt be surprised

Nicked for protecting yourself and your car? - Old Navy
I despair at what the politicians have done to this country, formal complaint, if no joy formal complaint to the IPCC. As much publicity as you can muster. Then stay squeeky clean. Hope you soon recover from the traumatic experience. EDIT - Sue the chief constable?

Edited by Old Navy on 25/10/2009 at 19:28

Nicked for protecting yourself and your car? - mark
Tack sorry to hear this

Its incredible you were put in this position, it can only be incompetence and lack of ability on the part of the plod that you were unlucky to meet in these circumstances.

IPCC for sure and involve all the PCs who put you in this position.

Complaining against their wrong doing is the only way otherwise you will end up (at best) having some fresh from the exam Inspector giving you an insincere apology in the hope you will go away and forget.

As always

Mark

Edited by mark on 25/10/2009 at 19:36

Nicked for protecting yourself and your car? - Hamsafar
Welcome to the New World Order. It will get much worse.
I have just noticed in my original post that I wrote "he touched my privates" and "he jerked me out of the car" Honestly, it wasn't the reason I was arrested!

Ahhhhh, sense of humour back. All is right with the world!
Nicked for protecting yourself and your car? - Altea Ego
So what prompted the whole thing? Men in 4x4's dont usually try and steal keys from drivers in Mk1 golfs in a non scroaty areas.
Nicked for protecting yourself and your car? - Old Navy
So what prompted the whole thing? Men in 4x4's dont usually try and steal keys
from drivers in Mk1 golfs in a non scroaty areas.

Tack said the guy in the 4x4 was "known to the police", he just saw an opportunity.

I keep a big maglite torch in my door pocket for opportunists. :-)
Nah that dont figure. There was one of him, he blocked tack in with his 4x4. How was he going to have the car away?

Nicked for protecting yourself and your car? - Alby Back
Sorry to hear your tale Tack. You should be proud of yourself. I sincerely hope all those who caused you this distress come to deeply regret it.
Nicked for protecting yourself and your car? - Robin Reliant
Well done tack, take it all the way and the best of luck to you. I hope the scrote gets a long sentence.

And it was a great result for the Hammers too, maybe this'll turn our season round ;-)
still not won since the start of the season.............
maybe the little fluffy arry the ammer in the back of tacks car enraged him? or bubbles playing loudly on the CD?
Nicked for protecting yourself and your car? - bell boy
Hope everything comes out to your satisfaction tack.
Nicked for protecting yourself and your car? - Manatee
>>how do YOU think you would feel?

Angry wouldn't begin to describe it. Unfortunately that only hurts the victim, i.e. you.

I hope you can get a decent outcome and the pond life his just deserts.
Nicked for protecting yourself and your car? - Bill Payer
It's an odd story.

Who called the Police, and why did the guy in the 4x4 hang around until they arrived?
Nicked for protecting yourself and your car? - Dave_TD
Men in 4x4's dont usually try and steal keys from drivers in Mk1 golfs in a non scroaty areas.

Mark V1 Golf

as in Mk6 I think, i.e. 2009 model.
Nicked for protecting yourself and your car? - stunorthants26
Hope you get a satisfactory result. Unfortunatly, I suspect you wont. Sorry to hear this has happened, it undermines ones feelings on human decency - the worst part of it is even if they manage to make any charges stick on these guys, they will most likely get a hug and a voucher for Argos.
Nicked for protecting yourself and your car? - bhoy wonder
Tack

Absolutely incredible and you have my upmost sympathy.

That?s the way of this country now. Protect the low life and hammer the law abiding citizen sitting in his car.
Nicked for protecting yourself and your car? - pda
So sorry to read this Tack, it does indeed make you angry. I had something vaguely similar happen to me when I was in the lorry in May and it did certainly have some bearing on my decision to finally stop lorry driving.
Angry is good!

Pat