Risk: An Alien Concept to Underwriters? - Nsar
It's the time of my annual journey into the Kafkaesque world of insurers. Last year our au pair, who has been off the policy since his return to the Czech Republic in July, had a tyre burst on him on the motorway. The tyre shredded along its length and damaged the bodywork, causing about £1200 of damage so we claimed.
This incident is both a 'driver at fault' accident (huh?) and, I am utterly baffled to find, something that counts against me when I am renewing the policy on the car.

The insurers take into account (no fault) claims when I was the driver of another on another policy, which I can sort of understand. But how is the car, or any of the named drivers on the policy or the public at large, or the man in the moon at any greater risk because a driver who now no longer even lives in the country once had a tyre blow out on him?

Is there any insurer out there who has even the most basic grasp of risk? Or are they all 'make it up as you go along' charlatans?

Yours more in hope than expectation.......
Risk: An Alien Concept to Underwriters? - RichardS
You claimed on your insurance policy and you are thus statistically more likely to claim again hence your premium and NCD are affected. I don't really understand what your problem is here.
Risk: An Alien Concept to Underwriters? - Martin Devon
I do. They are charlatans.
The isssue is that insurers want it both ways. They ask what your personal claims history is and this is obviously pertinent. But they also want the claims history of people who have been previously associated with the vehicle but who are no longer.

The risk of a tyre blow out is evenly distributed across all drivers (with some variation for unusually high mileage drivers, which is not the case here) and is not particular to either me, any of the named drivers of the vehicle, but the impact of this claim was to increase the premium by 25%. I asked why and the answer was the claim happened while a young driver was at the wheel. This is absolutely first class evidence that they have no idea what risk actually is and are simply making this up to fleece us.

Risk: An Alien Concept to Underwriters? - Leif
the impact of this claim was to increase the premium by 25%.

It could have been far far more. Many years ago my insurance more than doubled after I stupidly claimed for damage caused by vandals. It sounds like the extra premium is far less than the cost of the damage to your car, so what is the problem?
The problem is two-fold- that 25% increase is about 33% of the value of the repair and reduces the no-claims period so that by the time I am back to square one I will have forked out the cost of the repair, but of course there is the excess that I paid so I will have paid backabout 125% of the costs of repair.

In other words, the insurers charge me for bearing a risk, but in reality are not taking on any risk.

The other problem is that you have a premium increase being applied to a situation where the driver who was the risk, is no longer associated with the car and which (for any given mileage) is no more or less likely to suffer the same damage, irrespective of whether it is 55 year old country vicar or a twerp in a chavved up Saxo.

Edited by Nsar on 10/10/2009 at 11:36

Risk: An Alien Concept to Underwriters? - Manatee
I will have paid backabout 125% of
the costs of repair.

Not if you don't renew with them.
In other words the insurers charge me for bearing a risk but in reality are
not taking on any risk.

Not so. See above. And putting the premium up doesn't work for large claims to which they are exposed/

>>the driver who was the risk is no longer associated with the car ...
which ... is no more or less likely to suffer the same
damage irrespective ...

But you said yourself it wasn't driver related. The common factor is the policyholder and you claimed. That makes a claim more likely in the next period of insurance, ceteris paribus.

As I said before, I sympathise - it's bad luck and you thought you'd paid for cover already, without paying again.

If you're right of course, there's a profitable niche to be exploited insuring drivers with recent no-fault claims who've had their renewal premiums hiked ;-)
I understand your point, but the motor insurance market doesn't really behave like a true market because all the information is pooled, which it has to be to reduce fraud, but that also means that my ability to shop around is also considerably reduced - it doesn't really matter which insurer is getting the increased premium from a claim made on another insurer's policy and I cannot choose simply not to have insurance so I am forced into this skewed seller/purchaser relationship.

I am the policyholder as the keeper of the car but I have never been the main driver nor will be on the new policy, so when I answer the "have you had any claims in the last four years" I can honestly answer no, but a claim which is regarded as "driver at fault" is registered on a policy in which this driver has no impact and which reduces the no claims period to three years.

Edited by Nsar on 10/10/2009 at 12:04

Risk: An Alien Concept to Underwriters? - Leif
You claimed on your insurance policy and you are thus statistically more likely to claim
again hence your premium and NCD are affected.

And in addition a blow out might indicate a poorly maintained car with worn tyres, which are indicative of increased risk. Of course it might have been well maintained, with good tyres, but we are talking statistics here, meaning averages and variances over large groups of people, with a small number of variables.
>>a blow out might indicate a poorly maintained car with worn tyres<< that is possible amongst a great many other factors, but not something that you could determine from any of the information asked for. Don't forget that the premium has been affected by the existence of a claim, not the nature of it. When I have asked why a blow out is an at fault accident, the answer is they don't care what caused the damage simply that it happened and a claim was made.
Risk: An Alien Concept to Underwriters? - Manatee
I can sympathise, having had my premiums increased by over 50% a few years ago following a no-fault accident with an uninsured driver, but you are being unrealistic.

25% increase following a claim isn't bad. My renewal last month was up from £220 to £268, more than 20%, with no claims and no change in circumstances. I let it pass as I was busy and away from home, but I'll be ready next year.

The fact is that it is impossible for insurers to take all risk factors into account. Recency and frequency of previous claims, other aspects being equal, is going to be predictive of risk and to some extent compensates for the 'invisible' risk factors.

They can ask what they want. You don't have to pay it, go elsewhere. It will still cost you more because you have a recent claim, but you should be able to save something.
Risk: An Alien Concept to Underwriters? - oldnotbold
Seems to me that you have to do your sums carefully before making a claim.

In the case mentioned it was probably just inside the zone where claiming was beneficial, but if the claim had been £800 it would have been marginal. The trouble is you don't know their rules until you claim, so you can't assess where the break-even point lies.
Risk: An Alien Concept to Underwriters? - Bill Payer
This incident is both a 'driver at fault' accident (huh?) and I am utterly baffled
to find something that counts against me when I am renewing the policy on the
car.

I'm not sure it should count agianst you.

I look after 4 cars and do lots of insurance quote inquiries, and, as far as I can remember, they only ever ask about claims and convictions on a per driver basis. I can't visualise how a claim involving someone no longer included on the policy would even come up.
Risk: An Alien Concept to Underwriters? - ifithelps
Use the au pair as the proposer and insure on an any driver basis, or with you as a named driver - you never know what quotes might be forthcoming.

But it seems to me you are trying to apply your no claims bonus to another driver.

As in: ''I am employing an au pair of whom no one has ever heard, but I want you, Mr Insurance Company, to give him/her my full no claims bonus.''

Use the au pair as the proposer<< But I'm the registered keeper.

I don't have a full NCB on this policy as a consequence of this claim, but I do have one one on the policy for my main car where I am the main driver, but that's not a part of any of these conversations.
Bill Payer, a ray of hope....but I have had this conversation with a couple of insurers in the last 24 hours. On both occasions I was just about to buy a policy and the guy said "hang on, this car had a claim last year" and so I explained that the driver in questions was no longer in the country and is not a named driver and both occasions it is "sorry, that claim means the premium has to rise".

Risk: An Alien Concept to Underwriters? - ForumNeedsModerating
From my understanding (& ISTBC..) you want no account taken of the fact that this multi-driver car had a claim on its insurance (albeit with a driver who won't be on current/future policy)?

Surely, from the underwriters' point of view this car is a more risky prospect - it has multiple drivers, one of whom made a claim (indirectly) on the policy. Who's to say, given the history of the car, this won't happen again with the next au pair or 'unknown' driver?

It seems fairer to re-coup the lost NCB/policy premium increase from the driver in charge at the time, rather than expect the insurers to turn a blind eye, no?

What would the situation be if (i.e. the suggestion the policy premium shouldn't be increased or disadvantaged in these situations) all claims of this type were treated in this way?
We'd probably get much higher premiums for everybody - after all, the cost would have to be re-couped somewhere.
OK, let's look at it from another perspective.

The policy on this car has an uplift applied because of a claim that the insurer classifies as "driver at fault" even thought the driver in question will not be on the new policy.

Let's say that driver now goes onto another policy, another car altogether. When the proposer is completing the form he is asked if this driver has had a claim. He has to answer yes and an uplift is applied on that policy as well.

It's double jeopardy - two penalties for one "crime"
At the risk of exposing my lack of understanding....

How about a new car to go with the new au pair?

Would that not equate to a fresh start and put you in the 'nothing to declare' channel?

Wouldn't I have no NCB though?

...Wouldn't I have no NCB though?...

No, you wouldn't, but isn't doing it any other way dangerously close to 'fronting'?
Risk: An Alien Concept to Underwriters? - jbif
This in reply to Nsar's first post (as threaded view will show):

All IMO
Risk: An Alien Concept to Underwriters? >>

Yes if you take in to account the fact that motor insurance industry has generally made little or no profit, indeed a loss, for many years in the recent past.
.. Is there any insurer out there who has even the most basic grasp of risk? Or are they all 'make it up as you go along' charlatans? ... >>

The reality is that they employ average crude methods to assess risk and appropriate premiums. It is generally a "tick-box" approach. If you want insurance "bespoke" tailored to your specific circumstances, you would need to go away from the mainstream players in the market, and try to get an actuary to assess the risk for your personal circumstances. That will probably cost you an arm and a leg and maybe your head too.

To clear up some general principles:
Insurers want to know the history for the Policyholder and proposed named drivers on their policy. So Nsar's claim will have to be declared on any Policy that he takes out, even if it is for his own sole use on a different car, where they usually ask something like "Have you had an accident or claim in X years?".

So Nsar says yes to the claim, and then to get an accurate car insurance quote he probably has to tell them who had the accident, when the accident occurred, what type of accident it was, and whether it was a fault or non-fault claim.

A non-fault claim is simply a claim where the insurer is able to recover all their costs from someone else. If they are not able to recover all their costs, then it is a fault claim even if you didn't cause the claim to happen. An example could be where you return to find your car damaged in a car park where you do not know who did the damage.

In the case of a "fault" claim (i.e. one where the previous insurer had to pay out from their own funds), they will usually apply a heavy loading and you will lose some NCB if you do not have protected NCB.

In the case of a "non-fault" claim (i.e. one where the costs were recovered in full from a 3rd party), they may apply a small loading but you will not any NCB.

To sum up, it is a question of whether the policyholder made a claim, whether the claim was paid by a 3rd party in full, and that will affect the policyholder's premium. So Nsar's premiums for any car he insures for X years in to the future will be affected by the answer "yes" to the question "have you made any claims in X years". He can explain the reasons for the claim, but it remains a claim on his record. As for accidents, Nsar can safely state that he has not had any accidents himself (assuming that remains the case).

As for the named driver who has moved away, if he applies for UK insurance, he will have to declare that he has had an accident in the previous X years. His premium will be based on his accident history, not his claims history if he has not made any claims on any policy as the policyholder.

Thank you jbif for such a comprehensive reply.

I conclude two things from this 1. I'm glad it's not me just being a dunce 2. Time spent on the comparison sites is really not much use. If I had simply bought the lowest quote based on the info I supplied without checking it in detail over the phone I would have been really quite spectacularly uninsured and I wonder how many people see the lowest price and it buy it blind, either through ignorance of the pitfalls or in self-delusion that they have supplied info in good faith to the comparison site and that therefore they cannot be blamed if they get a nasty surprise when they come to make claim.

...Time spent on the comparison sites is really not much use...

I think they can be good for simple proposals - ordinary car, ordinary use, ordinary driver, in fact, nothing out of the ordinary.

Not everyone employs an au pair - although I do get cake more often than I used to. :)
Risk: An Alien Concept to Underwriters? - Mr.Tee43
jbif wrote

"Yes if you take in to account the fact that motor insurance industry has generally made little or no profit, indeed a loss, for many years in the recent past."

One thing that always bothers me about statements like this.

If all the motor insurance companies are making a loss on their business, please explain why there are so many companies ( take a look in your yellow pages) who year after year compete hard for your business.

I do not understand the business model that allows companies to make continuing losses year after year to stay and even expand their business.

Is this an "accounting" loss we are talking about or a genuine loss.

Maybe its a loss after paying out vast wages to the men at the top.
Risk: An Alien Concept to Underwriters? - Bill Payer
To sum up it is a question of whether the policyholder made a claim

It doesn't say that on the insurance company's quote websites, and it's been held in court that as long as you honestly answer all the questions asked then the insurance company can't avoid cover.
Risk: An Alien Concept to Underwriters? - Altea Ego
You might empoy another au pair (you have done it before) might be from eastern europe where driving standards are not so good (you have done it before)....etc etc

You have made a claim, recently. The fact you have made a claim does make you a higher risk

Car insurance companies are not a public service, they exist to make money.
It would seem from a previous comment that they don't make money ! so why do they exist.
I've heard the 'we make a loss on motor business' line before.

Makes no sense to me, year after year the companies advertise hard for this business.

If they were making a loss, they'd have pulled the plug on it years ago.

Risk: An Alien Concept to Underwriters? - Lud
If they were making a loss, they'd have pulled the plug on it years ago.

My very thought. These people don't just make PR claims on behalf of their many large and thriving companies, they lobby the media to get this claim (that they are making a loss and only insure motorists out of the goodness of their hearts) established in the public mind so people will just be pathetically grateful when the premiums go up every year. Or stay the same but only because the NCB has increased.

Wouldn't you like to be the provider of a service, highly negotiable at the point of action, that has to be paid for annually to the tune of hundreds or thousands of pounds, and that a large category of the population is legally obliged to buy?

Has its pitfalls obviously, but basically money for jam.
>>Wouldn't you like to be the provider of a service, highly negotiable at the point of action, that has to be paid for annually to the tune of hundreds or thousands of pounds, and that a large category of the population is legally obliged to buy<<

And you get to share the info about your customers so their ability to negotiate is impaired and you don't have to reveal how you arrive at your prices.

It's a cartel.
It would seem from a previous comment that they don't make money ! so why do they exist. >>

They hope to cross-sell you other more profitable policies, such as buildings and contents.

This is a 2008 article, but the basis of it has not changed materially:
www.iii.co.uk/articles/articledisplay.jsp?section=...9
" ... Thursday's report by independent market analysts at Datamonitor - which forecast a £30 million underwriting profit for the sector in 2009 - was immediately contested by AA Insurance, which said it saw no sign of claim costs slowing. To reach a profit by 2009, the AA said, the industry would have to raise premiums by at least 20 percent over the next two years.
In 2007, according to the AA, for every £100 received in premiums, £112 was paid out in claims.
"Online buying means that buyers are much more likely to shop around for car insurance and buy on price. That is keeping premium rises in check," AA Insurance Chief Executive Andrew Strong said.
"So far this year we have not seen industry premiums rise by anything like the amount that would make the industry profitable. It remains a very volatile and competitive market, and we don't see that changing in the immediate future."
Datamonitor said it expected a profit in 2009, as the increase in rates outpaces claims growth. But even its analysts warned that could turn back to a loss in 2010 as consumers continue to focus on price to differentiate between policies. ... "

A more recent report said:
"Friday, 17 Jul 2009 06:09
Car insurance companies are struggling to make a profit as competition forces down premiums.
A study into the car insurance industry by Defaqto reveals car insurers have not been able to match the rising costs of claims with increased premiums, and have been making a loss for the 13 years up to 2007.
It warns as the recession continues, drivers will look to cut costs ? leaving insurers with the dilemma of either increasing car insurance premiums or losing market share. .. "

Edited by jbif on 10/10/2009 at 19:48

I suggest that people who doubt that there is money being made out of car insurance should google Peter Wood, a multimillionaire whose fortune was made from online car insurance.

He has set up numerous companies, his latest being Esure(Calm down dear).

Loss making ?

I think not.
@ AE what I might do is irrelevant to the premium which is based on circumstances in the ehre and now. If I add a driver then the policy will change, fair enough. It's the adding to a premium for a driver at fault when the driver is not on the new policy that doesn't make sense.

A driver with 9 points and a string of previous fair enough if the premium shoots up. But increasing the premium for a non-existent driver is bonkers, especially when that driver if he went onto another policy would attract another entorely separate premium hike.

So if it's the person that produces the added risk and the person is no longer on the policy, where is the added risk?

Companies exist to make money but there is making money and there is fleecing you.

... So if it's the person that produces the added risk and the person is no longer on the policy, where is the added risk? ... >>

In reply to Nsar:

It seems you failed to understand my previous "comprehensive" post.

The added risk is you, the policyholder, who chose to put the au-pair on your policy - and I can only guess that you did it because it was the cheapest option. If you don't want to risk getting a bad record, the solution is to ask your future named main drivers to get their own policy.

[It is possible to get a policy on a car not owned by you and/or not registered in your name, but it won't probably be found on the comparison sites nor direct from the mainstream market. It will cost you and/or your au-pair dear.]

@ jbif, please tell me what I have failed to understand.

The car is there for the au pair and no other reason. The person who is the main driver now is not the same person who was the main driver (the driver behind the wheel when the tyre blew out).

Again, thanks for taking the time for posting so comprehensively before, but nobody is able to explain how an underwriting decision based on a person can be relevant when the person, for the purposes of this new policy simply doesn't exist.
@ AE what I might do is irrelevant to the premium which is based on
circumstances in the ehre and now.

No its not, you completely fail to realise your future risk is based on what you have done in the past. And you have had a claim. It makes you a higher risk than those who havent.
A tyre burst on a motorway.

Could not this be classed as "An act of God" which is a random event and cannot mean that a person is prone to tyre blowouts and therefore of a higher risk.

The fact is, insurance companies just hate to pay out. They have staff whose job it is to try and weasel out of paying and when they cannot, they just claw back monies paid out from increases premiums in the future.

And straying off topic.

The Moneybox program tonight. Headline

"A former PPI claims manager has confessed to Money Box the guilt he feels at how many people's claims he had to turn down."

Edited by Mr.Tee43 on 10/10/2009 at 21:27

@ AE I understand that the insurers are trying to apply this reasoning, but answer this: what is the risk of you getting a blow out over the next 12 months? What is the risk of me getting a blow out over the next 12 months? How does someone not associated with either your car or mine affect either probability?

If you can answer those questions with some certainty then you are on your way to making a meaningful decision.

Nsar.

Now this is not an attack on you, and I know you described it as is.

But

\\\\\\Supposed I am working for an insurance company. YOu could be lying. it might not have happened the way you described. In fact I have discovered ( but no proof ) 50% of my claims are from liars. A large proportion of my claimants go on to make further claims.

So given all this, what makes you different from all the rest?
But that's just a recipe for chaos, if every premium is based on the assumption that the proposer is simply lying.

Whilst I increasingly regard insurers as barely competent administrators of crude systems that act against the consumer interest, I think that actuaries do have some role to play and it's not completely pin the tail on the donkey.

The control mechanism is that when you come to make a claim, your lies are discovered. Now, you might get away with it forever if you never have to claim, but once you have had insurance refused, you are in deep do-do.

... I think that actuaries do have some role to play and it's not completely pin the tail on the donkey ... >>

in reply to Nsar:

Simple fact is you made a "fault" claim [note - fault is not same as blame] on your policy because the cost could not be recovered from a 3rd party. Statistically, that makes you a higher risk.
Another example of "fault but not blame" claim: a theft is typically classed as a fault claim because although you may have taken all reasonable precautions and are not to be blamed for the theft - the thief is -, the insurance company had no third party to claim the costs from.

I just did a quick search on the actuaries web site, but unfortunately the only document I can find there available for public download is from 1968. So the systems will have changed somewhat, but the basic thinking probably still stands:

Actuaries | Quick search
1 results found Motor insurance statistics
Journal of the Institute of Actuaries Students" Society [JSS] (1968) 18(3): 207-236 Scurfield, H. H. 31 Dec 1968
www.actuaries.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/2...f

It may answer your question "Risk: An Alien Concept to Underwriters?"

I repeat, it was your policy, it was you who claimed, you take the pain for X years on all motor insurance policies you take out even if you do not name any other driver for X years. If you wish to avoid this happening in future, do not ever have any other drivers on your policy. But even so, you will be assessed as higher risk for the X remaining years before your slate is wiped clean.

Not au-pair's policy, not au-pair's claim, au-pair does not take pain until his/her own policy taken out within X years.

Edited by jbif on 10/10/2009 at 23:02

Thanks jbif, I appreciate you taking time to find that paper. I will read it

I think you probably understand that the thread title was tongue in cheek.

I also think that we are grinding to a halt and that we will never agree on the 'logic' of infering risk from circumstances which do not exist.

Maybe an actuary with time on his hands may stumble across this thread and shed some light.

Risk: An Alien Concept to Underwriters? - dieseldogg
Not perhaps relevent to this case, but the article a couple of weeks ago about drivers being peanilized when renewing for"not at fault " claims made.
seems the insurers are saying if you claim you are more likely to reclaim.
at 50 years old i unfortunately suspect that there is more than a grain of truth to this.
n ireland being apparently full of scamsters. but i understand liverpool is as bad.
hire car and hire minibus and an engineered rear ender resulting in 15 not at fault personal injury claims. hmmmmm??????
i therefore have a certain sympathy with the insurers cheers
m
Risk: An Alien Concept to Underwriters? - gordonbennet
Is there something to be said for staying put with a good insurance company once you've found one.

Then you build a mutual trust over the years, this obviously can't apply to impersonal internet/yellow pages etc found cheapest price insurance.

I have got to know the staff at my local office, and made a claim following a too close for comfort lightning strike that took out some of our electrical equipment (home policy with the same), they didn't visit, just allowed me to replace the items and send them the receipts...no crafty upgrade's and i searched out the best prices too..insurance companies can be honourable if their customers are.

I could get cheaper cover no doubt, however cheapest isn't always best and as said above, you only really find out when something goes awry.