Car damaged by rugby ball. - motorprop
Played rugby yesterday. By the side of the pitch between the 22 and 10 metre lines, behind some mesh barriers, was parked a gleaming late reg 5 series BMW M ...

Last minute of the game , our fly half gets the ball from a line out and hoofs it into touch, a huge hanging kick... the ball flies through the air and lands , with a huge thud, on the car's front NS wing, leaving a ball-sized dent. Ref blows for full time. Ouch... Nobody came running

Subject header given a less vague title, and one that doesn't upset the swear filter

Edited by Webmaster on 20/09/2009 at 22:04

Car damaged by rugby ball. - bathtub tom
What's your fly half drive? ;>)

Edited by Webmaster on 20/09/2009 at 22:05

Car damaged by rugby ball. - LikedDrivingOnce
I'll bet its an Audi (no love lost there!) :-)

Edited by Webmaster on 20/09/2009 at 22:05

We were playing away and parked in the main car park which was a good 100 metres from the pitch. Lucky the ball didn't land on a wing mirror or the middle of the roof ? we speculated afters on who was the silly person who parks a fancy motor so close to a rugby pitch - snip, sexist remark removed

Edited by Webmaster on 20/09/2009 at 22:06

Car damaged by rugby ball. - Lud
Thing that amazes me is that an object as light and elastic as a rugby ball, however hard kicked, can make a dent in a car. They don't hurt you when they hit you on the head under identical or worse circumstances. Is one harder than a car? Shome mishtake shurely.

Way I see it it's entirely the car's fault, and its maker should be sued within an inch of its life. If it's still alive that is.
Car damaged by rugby ball. - AlastairW
Doesn't the 5 series have aluminium front wings? I would imagine they are easier to dent than steel.
It may be light ( not sure about elastic ? ) , but when it's dropping from 40 metres up on the point it doesn't half carry some momentum... if it fell onto your head you'd know about it - or maybe not ?
Car damaged by rugby ball. - Altea Ego
Thing that amazes me is that an object as light and elastic as a rugby
ball however hard kicked can make a dent in a car. They don't hurt you
when they hit you on the head under identical or worse circumstances.

Don't hurt you? Clearly lud you have never been

a: hit in the gentleman's area whilst in the wall defending a free kick in football
or
b: Hit in the face by a rugby ball when charging down the kick by the said fly half.

and in my day they were leather, and when wet, very heavy.

Car damaged by rugby ball. - Brian Tryzers
>...who parks a fancy motor so close to a rugby pitch...

Some people do the same at cricket grounds - although more often small Rovers, Hondas, Peugeots and Nissans - so they can sit in them to watch the game. I'm sure even Lud wouldn't fancy being hit by a cricket ball, but even so I've seen remarkably little damage done.
Car damaged by rugby ball. - Lud
Hit in the face by a rugby ball

On the forehead, at short range, ball kicked hard by someone or other. Leather of course, but not wet I think. Knocked me over, but I wasn't hurt or badly stunned.

Of course its shape means a rugby ball can hit you (or your tinfoil-winged BMW) end-on with all its momentum, or a bit sideways and go spinning off without carrying much punch. Didn't notice what happened in my case.

I don't think a (road) performance car's wing should yield to a rugby ball. Call me old-fashioned if you like AE, but cars were made of actual tin when I were a nipper.

Car damaged by rugby ball. - helicopter
I would have thought that the club would have some sort of insurance to cover such damages.

It brought back memories of school and club rugby.

I well remember being hit in the face by a wet muddy leather rugby ball when I played at school in the 60's , it stung a bit but we were hard lads in our school 'oop north ' in those days , farmers and miners sons .

You used to get 'shoed' ( kicked ) out of scrums for lying on the ball preventing release or involved in nefarious acts like eye gouging and doing a bit of a twisting of the dangly bits of the opposition players in the scrums.

I had one mate who got his three front teeth knocked out when he was elbowed in the face at a line out resulting in the finest scrap I have ever seen on a rugby field .....
Car damaged by rugby ball. - drbe
>> You used to get 'shoed' ( kicked ) out of scrums

>>

Darn Sarf a 'shoeing' was not so much being kicked, it was running your studs across your opponents ribs and back. Well, he shouldn't have been there should he?

Of course, if this happened to oneself, being nancy boy Southerners, Mummy's chauffeur was on hand to whisk one back to the Hall, where nanny and nursey would tend to our every need.