How willing to negotiate are used car salesmen? - Webbo1963
I'm looking around for a small automatic. Had a brief look at a couple of cars and a chat with the salesman without making an offer yet. When I've asked if the price is open to negotation I've been told something like "not really\not much - small autos are hard to find so are more expensive". However they're being offered for quite a lot more than what my Parkers book says they should be, and ones been there for over a week.
I need to buy something within the next couple of days - of course I'm going to make a lower offer to start with, just wondering what my chances of success are!
Any opinions anyone ? Cheers
How willing to negotiate are used car salesmen? - L'escargot
If it's not financially advantageous to the selling company to do so, then the price won't be reduced. Try it and see.
How willing to negotiate are used car salesmen? - barney100
You have to go into any new car negotiation knowing the salesman is wanting to extract every last penny from you that he can. He is probably under pressure from his bosses and if a main dealer they will be under pressure from the manufacturer. That leaves you at the bottom of the pile and if they can't get the deal they want from you then the next guy will soon be along. You need to know the deal you are looking for from the outset ..preferably realistic..wejust bought a used Volvo froma main dealers and the original offer from them was bad. Walked away and low and behold a couple of days later they were on the phone in a decent dealing mood.
How willing to negotiate are used car salesmen? - TheOilBurner
Your first mistake is asking if they're willing to negotiate. The answer to that will always be no! :)

I know, I've done the same myself a couple of times - never works.

Try to make out you're serious but your budget doesn't quite reach the asking price (but be non-specific on what it actually is), and then discuss the pros and cons of the car, it's condition etc in a friendly way. Be keen, but not too keen....

A bit of give and take, a couple of polite re-buffs from the salesmen and a phantom trip to supposedly visit the sales manager (which should be taken as an invitation to try again!) and you probably will get to a price you're happy with.

It's a funny game to play, but works when you know the rules!
How willing to negotiate are used car salesmen? - bell boy
the way i read your post is you are buying s/h therefore anyone with a peach of an auto will not dip on the sticker price because they will have paid top dollar for it in their local trade emporium
they have what you want they hopefully will have pdi -ed it and sorted any niggles out prior to you buying it,why not just give them the money or leave the car to the next customer that will buy it without all the hassle (i lurve autos especially when i sneak a look in the car the punter came in and thats auto too or theres walking stick abrasions on the step sill)
How willing to negotiate are used car salesmen? - retgwte
trick ive done is find a few likely cars im after on autotrader, then email the dealers asking for price to trade, its often easier to hagle via email, or phone and talk to them over phone first

once they have you in the showroom all their little tricks come into play

How willing to negotiate are used car salesmen? - doctorchris
I've seen prices of small cars on the secondhand market rise dramatically in recent months.
Within that market, autos are a small proportion and so their prices are holding well.
I feel that the salesmen you have spoken to are being sensible in not discounting heavily.
Buying a new car may even be a better proposition just now.
How willing to negotiate are used car salesmen? - pd
There are so few desirable used cars about at the moment that if it is a desirable spec then the seller will know that they'll be able to sell it for pretty much full price sooner or later or maybe even raise the price next month.

Unless it is overpriced to start with, a horrible colour or odd spec I can't see them being willing to give much.
How willing to negotiate are used car salesmen? - retgwte
other point to note is used autos cost most in london, and progressively less the further away from london you get

some traders make a nice little living buying up autos in scotland and northern england, transporting them south, and selling them closer to london

you can use this dynamic the other way and buy your car while u are on holiday in scotland

How willing to negotiate are used car salesmen? - madf
If the car is a slow seller they will. If it's desirable and they have lots of interest, they will not.

I've always bought cars when most people are selling: time of year is vital: after a plate change is best...
How willing to negotiate are used car salesmen? - Alanovich
Trouble is madf, I'm usually selling at the same time as buying, which negates any benefits you might get by trying to time things right. The only method I use is to try to do a deal on the last day of a month. Sales targets etc. Even then one can never be sure how effective that is as you have no exact like for like deal to comapre it with.
How willing to negotiate are used car salesmen? - davidh
If you want it, be prepared to pay the screen price.

Unless he's asking crazy money, dont underestimate how much it costs in time and money and hassle to walk away and try to find another small auto that ticks all the boxes.

You know how much it is as soon as you clock the screen or see it advertised so budget wise its either in or out.

A rule of mine is (not saying this applies here) that if you can only afford it based on getting something knocked off then IMO you cant afford it.
How willing to negotiate are used car salesmen? - Webbo1963
Thanks for all the comments.
I got £250 off which just brought it into my budget, and I needed something quick, so I'm happy. Dealer's happy because he got a quick sale. Everyone's a winner!
How willing to negotiate are used car salesmen? - heathercar
can I open this thread up again....I am after a car at the low end of the market, and because of this I think that they will laugh inwardly (salesman) if I want to cut them down a bit....do they?
Are reductions only for more expensive cars? I am after a car £2000 tops, and would like something 1500 realistically. I am sure that people buying cheap cars are 2 a penny these days, with the recession and downsizing, so I don't hold out much hope of getting a reduction.
Someone tell me I am wrong!!!
How willing to negotiate are used car salesmen? - bell boy
you will only get a good reduction on a £2000 car if its either overpriced or a sticking dog