What's the best electric car for towing a caravan?

We have a 2009 Ford Focus, which is used mostly for short trips. We also have a 2008 Freelander 2 mostly used for longer trips and for towing our caravan up to 250 miles at a time. Both are MoT'd and running fine.

Eventually, we'd like to go electric. Can you suggest an EV that will be suitable for towing my caravan?

Asked on 26 July 2021 by J M Butcher

It's still early days for electric tow vehicles, although there are an increasing amount of EVs on the market capable of towing. The new Hyundai Ioniq 5 and Kia EV6, for example, can officially tow up to 1600kg. A plug-in hybrid tow car could be a good stepping stone. A Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV can tow up to 1500kg and travel up to 28 miles under electric power – ideal for short trips during the week and hooking up the caravan at the weekend.