Loaded Insurance Premiums - nick62
I've just been getting quotes for SWMBO's insurance renewal and I'm a named driver on the policy.

I've been unfortunate to be involved in two "no fault" accidents since 2007 and all costs/excesses/uninsured losses have been recovered for both these prangs. Now I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but although my "no claims bonus" has not been affected by these incidents, my wife's premiums are less expensive if I do not declare these accidents, (and so my own insurance will be likewise, but probably even more expensive).

Is it possible in any way, shape or form to recover these "extra" premiums that our friendly insurance companies choose to hand-out to us mortals, who are unfortunate enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time (at least until the mandatory "last five years" history has been served)?

If it is possible to recover these costs, how do you go about knowing what they are going to be, (without a glass ball), and how do you get them back?
Loaded Insurance Premiums - jbif
If it is possible to recover these costs, >>

Yes
how do you go about knowing what they are going to be, (without a glass ball),>>

No need for a glass ball, see
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=77...2
and how do you get them back? >>

See same link as above.

Edited by jbif on 15/08/2009 at 22:48

Loaded Insurance Premiums - cuthbert
I would say there is one thing where insurance is concerned is to be upfront with any information that they ask tell them everything they need to work out the correct premium.!
If you give them a reason to reject a claim at a later date they will !!

I cannot quite work out how two no fault claims would affect your insurance even if you have protected NCD .! Is this with the same insurance company who handled your claims .

It is usual to have to put down any claims you have made but if the costs have been recovered by your insurance provider it should not affect your renewal
Loaded Insurance Premiums - martint123
This has been brought up recently on here.
It would appear to insurers that statistically if you have had a number of no fault accidents that you are doing something to make them more likely to happen and they bump up the premium for the perceived extra risk. Otherwise why have you had more accidents than others? i.e. areas where you park, iffy road junctions where you live - they can think up any number of reasons!

Loaded Insurance Premiums - jbif
I cannot quite work out how two no fault claims would affect your insurance even if you have protected NCD .! >>

This is a common mistake/misunderstanding.

The best explanation that I have found on this forum are posts by Mark(RLBS) and Ex-Moderator [one and the same person], eg.:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=69...5

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=31...9

and other similar posts/threads.

Loaded Insurance Premiums - nick62
The most galling thing about the first "no fault" claim back in April 2007, was that my own insurance company were happy enough to pay me out, but did not seem too bothered about getting their cost back from any of the third parties involved, (multi-vehicle accident on the motorway), even though I was adamant that I was not to blame for the crash. That was until about 12 months after the accident, when one of the third parties eventually admitted liability............my insurance company then delayed my "pay-out" from the other parties insurance, as they jumped on my solicitors case to get their costs back and it took another six months before I got a cheque, (as their sudden intervention delayed the court case). In other words, if I had not persued the case to prove I was not at fault, the insurance company would have just sat on their hands, been out-of-pocket to the tune of about £10,000 and put my premium up even more than they do normally. I really believe they do not give a toss, unless someone else does the legwork!

Edited by nick62 on 15/08/2009 at 23:30

Loaded Insurance Premiums - TheOilBurner
A colleague of mine related the story of someone he knew who was frequently getting people driving into the back of them. (At least 1-2 times a year).

He first thought that they must be very unlucky. That is until one day they gave him a lift. It soon become apparent what was happening - said driver had an unfortunate habit of stopping (at some pace) at give way lines and then looking to see if there was someone to give way to.. They were doing this at fast flowing roundabouts with good visibility onto the island... If you do that enough times it's inevitable that someone will assume you're not stopping (nothing to stop for...) and not be looking too closely at what the car in front is actually doing...

I'm not implying this is what the OP is doing, just saying that the insurance companies can't tell me and you from bad drivers like this, so if your profile statistically matches them (even through bad luck) then there is good reason why the premium gets loaded - fair or not.
Loaded Insurance Premiums - cuthbert
I suggest you ask to speak to the underwriting department at the insurance company involved and ask the reasons for the premium loading .
The problem is quite often on the proposal form the wording have you ever had a motor insurance declined or special terms imposed if you have you will need to declare it

Different Insurance companies have different underwriting conditions a company will dictate the premium according to its opinion of the presumed risk

Edited by cuthbert on 16/08/2009 at 00:37