09 2.0 Keeping New Alloy Wheels Clean - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
My new car will have a protective paint sealant (I know , probably snake oil) but the garage refused to apply the sealant to the wheels with vague caveats about the heat from the brakes. Anyone successfully protected their wheels? I'm thinking of just applying a decent polish like Autoglym as a way of fending of the black grot.
09 2.0 Keeping New Alloy Wheels Clean - captain chaos
I use Autoglym alloy wheel seal after cleaning, as with all their products I find it works a treat.
09 2.0 Keeping New Alloy Wheels Clean - Brentus
I use auto glym extra gloss protection works a treat
09 2.0 Keeping New Alloy Wheels Clean - BobbyG
Would third the autoglym recommendation!

I remember when I got an alloy on my Fabia vrs replaced under warranty, the dealer (Henry's in Glasgow) was quite willing for me to take the wheel home for a couple of days to apply layers of polish and finish off with Extra Gloss, before taking it back to them to get fitted to the car!

And yes, it meant brake dust sat on the surface and could get blasted away with jet hose.
09 2.0 Keeping New Alloy Wheels Clean - CGNorwich
As long as you wash the wheels regularly you won't have a problem. No need for expensive products

Edited by CGNorwich on 21/07/2009 at 11:35

09 2.0 Keeping New Alloy Wheels Clean - ForumNeedsModerating
Seconded. Although if I've been lazy (well, very..) & let a bit of muck build up I may use an alloy wheel cleaner - but quickly on & off of course. Butter is good for persistent tar spots - the rest usually succumbs to initial grit-off clean then rub with cloth. My wheels still look pristine afer 6 years - the nice enamelly shine still in evidence.
09 2.0 Keeping New Alloy Wheels Clean - 832ark
I use Rimwax, its a slightly harder wax designed just for wheels - fantastic stuff!
09 2.0 Keeping New Alloy Wheels Clean - J1mbo
I use Powerboys sealent and apply three coats and last about 3 months. Never use alloy" cleaner", just normal shampoo and a MF also ezbrush is handy to clean the inside.

.*********

EGP lasts about 3-4months and is best applied thinly with two coats after you have used the SRP.
09 2.0 Keeping New Alloy Wheels Clean - L'escargot
The only cleaning my wheels get is with the Turtle Wax Zip Wax Car Wash with which I wash the car. I've never given the wheels any special treatment and my current car's alloys are still OK after 6 years.