03 3.0 Washers suddenly not powerful - Happy Blue!
I had the engine bay cleaned last week. Not power washed or steam cleaned, but degreased and relatively gently rinsed. No degreaser went into the washer bottle or onto the nozzles.

Since then the washers (which have two nozzles to produce a wide fan spray) now produce two jets which are not that powerful. One seems to produce water immediately whilst the other takes a little longer, then produces a soapy jet which clears to water within a second or two. Also the water has a funny vinegary smell.

Any ideas how I can get it back to normal? Will they fail the MoT as they are?

I have ran washer bottle dry and put clear water through but with no improvement.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 05/07/2009 at 19:54

Strange thing happened to my washers - Number_Cruncher
>>Will they fail the MoT as they are?

No - as long as water is hitting the wiped area of the screen, you're OK.

Edited by Number_Cruncher on 05/07/2009 at 18:31

Strange thing happened to my washers - David Horn
Any chance you could have someone else run the washers while you poke around the engine bay and look for a leak?
Strange thing happened to my washers - 1400ted

Check the pipes where they enter the jets on the underside of the bonnet, follow the pipes as far as you can, they will enter a 't' joint where the pipe goes off to the pump they may have been slightly dislodged by someone with a cloth. Get a pal to operate the washers with the bonnet up and see if any water is cdoming out underneath from this union or the jets.
As long as sufficient water is hitting the screen, the MOT will be OK....it's all in the opinion of the tester, though.

Ted
Strange thing happened to my washers - Happy Blue!
Hmmmm I watched the cleaning process. All done by liquid - no hands touched the engine bay. I have looked around the engine bay - no washer fluid is reaching the ground other than via the jets (I think).
Strange thing happened to my washers - Aretas
If your engine has an under-tray it may not be immediately obvious if your washers are leaking as a small quantity the water may be retained there.
Strange thing happened to my washers - Happy Blue!
Problem fixed. Mechanic had a good look and diagnosed a layer of crud and jellified algae next to the washer pump. Cleaned it out and now as good as new.