Will my car fail its MoT because the third brake light doesn't work?

Is the high level braking light part of the MoT test? I have read somewhere that if it is fitted it must work. Mine has stopped working and I cannot find out why. If I remove it completely as long as the other brake lights are working will I get away with this?

Asked on 23 September 2019 by paul rushton

If it's fitted and connected it must work. If you disconnect it, it will pass its MoT. The rules state that the benefit of doubt must be given to the presenter (you) so, if it doesn't work at all, the tester has to prove that it's connected.