99 1.8 oil use/loss - SteveGrove
The car is now undergoing a head gasket repair,but for several months it has been losing or using oil at a rate of 3-4 litres a months,for a relatively low usage.
It used to smoke on start-up,but this clear quickly and I took it to be valve-guide oil seals.
There are no obvious leaks and the exhaust gases are clear when driving along,but for that amount of oil osage one would expect the engine to be plastered or a real smoke screen coming out of the exhaust.
I have difficulty in believing that the initial stages of head gasket failure could lead to such catastrophic oil loss without leaving an obvious trace.
When I changed the oil shortly after purchasing the car a few months ago,I noticed that the old filter was squashed down on one side,as if it had not seated properly.The new one appeared to fit well,but I have not checked it since,but have wondered if there is a pressure release which operates in the filter housing which could vent out oil when running along? Is there a crankcase breather? Is there a crankcase pressure release?
Any suggestions would be welcome. The car has only done 81k. Thanks.