Fifth Gear 35MPH head on crash test ?is that 70MPH - PBB
Hi

I saw an interesting (well, terrifying) article on Fifth Gear on Dave this morning. They crashed a 10-year-old Espace head-on into a new Espace ? each vehicle doing 35MPH

Worryingly, the damage to the 10-year-old one was concluded as ?would probably not be survivable by the driver?.

The new one survived extremely well.

2 cars hitting each other head-on, each doing 35MPH ? is that the equivalent of a 70MPH impact into a stationary object? They did not say this on the show (unless I missed it)

Thanks,
Fifth Gear 35MPH head on crash test ?is that 70MPH - Rattle
I am sure they mentioned on the show that it is the same as 70mph on a sationary object. When you think about you have twice as much energy to absorb.

Edit I am not sure how fair the test was because the 10 year old Espace (at the time) was that 80's plastic one and early MPVs were probably never as safe as proper cars. I would rather have a crash in a Cavilier than a Space Crusier for example.

Edited by Rattle on 09/05/2009 at 21:12

Fifth Gear 35MPH head on crash test ?is that 70MPH - Number_Cruncher
>>is that the equivalent of a 70MPH impact into a stationary object?

I used to think so, unquestioningly, it's the commonly held view, but now, I don't think it's true.

Yes, there's twice the energy, but, there is also twice the crumple zone in which to dissipate the energy.

Consider it another way. Imagine watching a high speed movie of 2 cars crashing - but, the 2 cars are exact mirror images of each other, and perfectly aligned with each other. The common impact surface will not move - therefore it would have made no difference had the impact being into a solid concrete block.

Phrased another way, impact tests into a solid concrete block are actually a good approximation to simulating crashing into a mirror image of yourself coming the other way.

Edited by Number_Cruncher on 09/05/2009 at 21:23

Fifth Gear 35MPH head on crash test ?is that 70MPH - Lygonos
Guys, come on...

Energy = 1/2 x Mass x (velocity squared).

Doubling the speed quadruples the energy.

35mph into 35mph is NOT the same as 70mph into zero.

I think 5th gear did a test perhaps 5 yrs ago with a variety of cars at 70 into a concrete block - all would have proved fatal whether a big saloon or a Smart car.

Here ya go:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q91UIYquAW8

Edited by Lygonos on 09/05/2009 at 21:44

>>Doubling the speed quadruples the energy.

But, the point I'm making is that the speed isn't actually being doubled. The speed of either car relative to the impact is still 35. The other car merely provides the same reaction as a huge block of concrete.

Fifth Gear 35MPH head on crash test ?is that 70MPH - Stuartli
If two cars are travelling at 35mph towards each other, the (combined) approach speed for both is 70mph.

Same if one car is doing 30mph and the other 40mph.

Fifth Gear 35MPH head on crash test ?is that 70MPH - Lud
NC has it right. It's like driving at 35mph not into a concrete block, but into another car which is a lot squashier than a concrete block. The cars' inertia, roughly equal, is cancelled out.

In practice much would depent on any skew, the way the cars bounced, what the drivers' heads hit and so on.

I can't say I would choose to do it in stunt-man mode but I would put the chances of survival, even non-injury, quite high for the drivers.

Edited by Lud on 09/05/2009 at 21:49

>>not into a concrete block, but into another car which is a lot squashier than a concrete block

No, I think that's taking it too far Lud.

Instead of something difficult and messy like a car, consider 2 snooker balls (A and B) going at the same speed, heading directly towards each other. After the impact, both balls recoil at (almost) the same speed, and the impact would have looked exactly the same if instead of hitting another snooker ball, ball A had hit a perfectly rigid surface.
Fifth Gear 35MPH head on crash test ?is that 70MPH - bathtub tom
Thank you Lygonos.

I was taught E=1/2M x c(squared)

Nowadays it seems to be E=M x C(squared)
Fifth Gear 35MPH head on crash test ?is that 70MPH - Lou_O
Thank you Lygonos.
I was taught E=1/2M x c(squared)
Nowadays it seems to be E=M x C(squared)

Crikey!

You want to keep those c squareds away, that's a LOT of energy.

E=m * c^2 is the amount of energy that could be released 100% of an object's mass was converted to energy.

E=1/2 m * c^2 is a new one to me, but I think you're probably thinking of the equation for Kinetic Energy, (given by another poster above):

KE = 1/2 m * v^2

They may not look much different but given that c usually stands as constant for the speed of light, you can see why it's not so applicable to vehicle energy, as fast as an Espace is, it can't quite manage 300,000 m/sec :)

>>..as fast as an Espace is, it can't quite manage 300,000 m/sec :)>>

Unless The Stig's driving it?

Fifth Gear 35MPH head on crash test ?is that 70MPH - Lygonos
If light has been downgraded to 300km/sec it would explain the rubbish connection I've got today ;-)
Fifth Gear 35MPH head on crash test ?is that 70MPH - Lou_O
If light has been downgraded to 300km/sec it would explain the rubbish connection I've got today ;-)

hehe, if you're going to miss out a character, make it an important one :)

Incidentally, light can been slowed to 61kph, nearly the speed of an Espace, but it's rather hard to do.

www.hno.harvard.edu/gazette/1999/02.18/light.html

Fifth Gear 35MPH head on crash test ?is that 70MPH - pmh2
Incidentally light can been slowed to 61kph nearly the speed of an Espace but it's
rather hard to do.
www.hno.harvard.edu/gazette/1999/02.18/light.html

Good to see that science writers understand the basic facts NOT......... quote from that article

" and temperatures almost a billion times colder that that in interstellar space, are needed"

p
>>Good to see that science writers understand the basic facts NOT......... quote from that article

It sounds right to me.

What's wrong with it?

If light has been downgraded to 300km/sec it would explain the rubbish connection I've got
today ;-)>>

If you are using a modem router, try disconnecting the mains adapter lead for a second or so and then reconnecting the lead.
Fifth Gear 35MPH head on crash test ?is that 70MPH - Bill Payer
Consider it another way. Imagine watching a high speed movie of 2 cars crashing -
but the 2 cars are exact mirror images of each other and perfectly aligned with
each other. The common impact surface will not move - therefore it would have made
no difference had the impact being into a solid concrete block.

So, would it be right to think that, in the 2 x Espace test, the older car suffered more deformation than the newer one, so would have absorbed some of the impact energy of the newer car? Therefore there's a mismatch in the concrete block comparison - the newer car would have suffered less damage than if driven into a concrete block at 35MPH.
>>Therefore there's a mismatch in the concrete block comparison

In reality, there always will be - the mirror image cars don't exist, and no real crash is perfectly aligned.

Yes, with disimilar cars, there will be a non-equal sharing of energy. The stiffer car effectively using the other as crumple zone.

Fifth Gear 35MPH head on crash test ?is that 70MPH - Cliff Pope
>> The stiffer car
effectively using the other as crumple zone.

That's what we smug Volvo drivers like to say - You are my crumple zone!
( Although I thought another recent test showed that not to be true?)

Fifth Gear 35MPH head on crash test ?is that 70MPH - Bill Payer
That's what we smug Volvo drivers like to say - You are my crumple zone!
( Although I thought another recent test showed that not to be true?)

You need some crumple otherwise you're dead - another TV crash with a Smart into a concrete block at 70MPH illustrated that. The Smart remained amazingly intact, but they reckoned the people inside would have died as they stopped so instantly.
Fifth Gear 35MPH head on crash test ?is that 70MPH - Altea Ego
You need some crumple otherwise you're dead - another TV crash with a Smart into
a concrete block at 70MPH illustrated that. The Smart remained amazingly intact but they reckoned
the people inside would have died as they stopped so instantly.

>>

yup. The car can stop suddenly and suffer minimal damage, and nothing in the car will fatally come adrift and hit the driver.

However the driver is traveling at 70mph, and if he stops his internal organs do not. They carry on at 70mph, the heart mashing into ribs, the brain compressing against the front of the skull, al possibly fatally.
Fifth Gear 35MPH head on crash test ?is that 70MPH - Garethj
Worryingly the damage to the 10-year-old one was concluded as ?would probably not be survivable by the driver?.

You never know. Last summer I had a 60-70mph head on crash with another car when it crossed the central reservation of a dual carriageway and hit me. I had a small cut on my hand afterwards even though my car was 10 years old.

However in the crash if you can get rid of the energy over a nice long time (in my case the car bouncing off a kerb, tree and then rolling down the road) any accident is survivable. Depends on what sort of accident you're going to have.

In my opinion, we'd all be better off saving the money off a new 5* NCAP car and blowing the money on a safer driving course....
Fifth Gear 35MPH head on crash test ?is that 70MPH - Farmer Boy
Safer driving courses are the answer. The fifth gear presentstion was a bit misleading implying that any 10 year old car was a death trap. Statistically more people are killed in newer vehicles as there are more of them!
Crop sprayer operators are required to take a test every 3 years. In order to qualify they have to collect a number of points to show that they are focused on the job. Driving tests are taken once a lifetime with no further checks or supervision ever!
SQ

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/05/2009 at 19:55

Fifth Gear 35MPH head on crash test ?is that 70MPH - Altea Ego
Last summer I had a 60-70mph head on crash with another car
when it crossed the central reservation of a dual carriageway and hit me.

In my opinion we'd all be better off saving the money off a new 5*
NCAP car and blowing the money on a safer driving course....

I dont think you doing a safer driving course would have stopped the other car crossing the central reservation and hitting you!
I dont think you doing a safer driving course would have stopped the other car crossing the central reservation and hitting you!

I hope if the other driver had been paying more attention she would have been able to keep her car straight on a dead straight 2 lane road. Perhaps my standards are too high? ;-)
Fifth Gear 35MPH head on crash test ?is that 70MPH - Chris23
I seem to remember that the vehicles in this test were NOT two Espace of different ages but a 10 year old Espace & a new type much smaller Renault.

They have done a series of frightening tests involving old Volvos, diy kitchens in the back of the car etc etc.

The test crash that I would like to see is a new small 5 star v a new large 5 star. I gather the tests that gain 5 stars vary with the size of car. It is also not just about damage but about rates of ac(de)celeration. Mass will win.
Fifth Gear 35MPH head on crash test ?is that 70MPH - Westpig
I can't recall seeing an older large car versus a new small 5 star car. That's the one i'd like to see.

My theory is an older large car ought to do o.k. (ish) versus a new small one...anyone willing/able to 'shoot me down in flames'?

e.g. Volvo 7 series versus Aygo/C1 ...that sort of thing. It would be no point having a 5 star small car if you could buy a 2nd hand larger car with say only 2 or 3 stars in its' class, but each class performed differently, if that makes sense.
Fifth Gear 35MPH head on crash test ?is that 70MPH - daveyjp
Search for S class v smart car video.
Fifth Gear 35MPH head on crash test ?is that 70MPH - tunacat
Westpig,

That was exactly the test conducted by a TV programme (5th gear?) :

They had a head-on (or offset head-on) between a Renault Modus and a Volvo 740.

The Renault fared much better. Not surprisingly, this caused a lot of controversy about the accuracy of the test, and whether the Volvo was rusty, etc etc etc.

Makes you think, though, if for reasons such as space, you are only able to have a small car.

The only genuine head-on crash scene I've come across involved a large Mercedes and a smaller vehicle (can't remember make and model now as it was around 20 years ago) when one swerved to try and avoid a child cyclist on a three-lane road.

The smaller car's driver was killed, but the woman driver of the Mercedes eventually made a full recovery.

Fifth Gear 35MPH head on crash test ?is that 70MPH - Mapmaker
Surely the point is that two cars crashing at 35mph is exactly the same as two cars crashing where one is doing 70mph and one doing 0mph. You have one lot of energy, and two crumple zones

You can change the frame of reference so that your calculations are entirely equivalent.

The only extent to which they are different is, I sense, that the 70mph crash will be gentler, as the stationary car will be shifted backwards, thus providing not just a crumple zone, but also some absorption of energy through friction tyres/road.
Fifth Gear 35MPH head on crash test ?is that 70MPH - FotheringtonThomas
Surely the point is that two cars crashing at 35mph is exactly the same as
two cars crashing where one is doing 70mph and one doing 0mph.

In the second scenario there's a *lot* more energy involved.
Fifth Gear 35MPH head on crash test ?is that 70MPH - maz64
>> Surely the point is that two cars crashing at 35mph is exactly the same
as
>> two cars crashing where one is doing 70mph and one doing 0mph.
In the second scenario there's a *lot* more energy involved.

If the cars are the same mass, then it's twice as much, isn't it?

Case 1: 1/2 m v^2 + 1/2 m v^2 = m v^2
Case 2: 0 + 1/2 m (2v)^2 = 2 m v^2

Although this does surprise me - I also thought that you wouldn't be able to tell whether you were viewing case 1 with a stationary viewpoint or case 2 with a moving (at 35mph) viewpoint.
Fifth Gear 35MPH head on crash test ?is that 70MPH - pmh2
Whilst I support the argument about there being 2x the energy to disipate in the the second (70 + 0) case surely this does not tell the whole story.

In case 1 (2 x 35) the energy will be totally used in causing equal (and opposite) deformation on both vehicles. After the impact (if totally symmetrical) the remains remain in a crumpled heap, at the point of impact, as a first approximation. This will be the same as one vehicle hitting a solid immovable object ie a concrete block.

In case 2 ( 70 +0) much of the energy will be transferred from the moving vehicle into accellerating the the stationary vehicle (backwards), and the impacting vehicle will continue forward - respecting the laws of conservation of momentum, but some energy will have been transferred into the deformation of both vehicles.

Damage to the individual vehicles will be a result of the energy transferred in the process of deformation, ie the difference between the KE before impact and the KE after impact.

Let NC put numbers on it, my brain hurts.

p

Edited by pmh2 on 12/05/2009 at 15:42

I think you've summed the situation up in words much better than I could with the liberal application of numbers pmh!
Fifth Gear 35MPH head on crash test ?is that 70MPH - maz64
At the risk of getting a bit too theoretical, if the cars were on an ice road with negligible friction between tyres and road (which isn't true but please bear with me), would the 2 cases still look different?

EDIT: I mean assuming a stationary viewpoint for 35+35 and a moving viewpoint for 0+70

Edited by Focus {P} on 12/05/2009 at 15:58

My theory is an older large car ought to do o.k. (ish) versus a new small one...anyone willing/able to 'shoot me down in flames'?

Not sure. The safety cell on new cars now is very strong, the strength of the steel used is a lot higher than what older cars were made from. What might happen is the safety cell on the new car will use all of the old car as its crumple zone.

However I stand by my earlier comments:
1. If you're lucky you can walk away from almost anything
2. It's safer not to crash at all. Cheaper too and saves a lot of hassle, I don't know why more people don't go in for it ;-)

One point that's been overlooked, is that a 35mph + 35mph crash is probably more likely than steaming into a stationary vehicle at 70 so it's relevant (if done well)

Edited by Garethj on 12/05/2009 at 14:06