Claim investigation + it's insurance renewal time - are we there yet
Although I've been driving for over 20 years, I'm a numpty when it comes to insurance claims - never had one until now, so I'd be indebted to anyone who could advise on some questions I've got here.

The situation is this - last year I reversed out of a car park space and bumped another car parked to the rear of me. Although not expecting any damage based on the relative lightness of the bump, nonetheless, I was relieved to see that none was apparent to either vehicle. The owner of the other vehicle had been walking towards his car at the time and, when I commented that all seemed well, he disagreed, saying that hidden damage to a car like his "would cost hundreds". So I took some pics with my phone (with his permission, although he was very aggressive, so much so, I felt threatened) and we exchanged details. I phoned my insurance company, gave them the incident details to advise them that there might be a claim from the other owner. They sent me a claim form which I didn't use as there was no damage to my car related to this incident. Sure enough, the other driver made his claim against my insurance - I don't know what the details or amounts are. It wouldn't surprise me if he'd said he was sat in the vehicle at the time & claimed whiplash.

Subsequently, my insurance asked me for an account of the incident, which I gave them in writing. They then asked for the pictures I'd taken so I sent those via email. Now, months later, I've had a letter from a firm of insurance investigators who want to interview me as soon as possible. This worries me because it seems like my insurance company is disputing the claim - the guy knows where I live and his aggression has already scared me. He also seemed quite streetwise and I wonder what sort of repercussion could come my way should his claim not be accepted. By the same token, if there IS something dodgy, then I'd be against it being accepted - aside from not supporting fraud or dodginess, I don't want to fork out the excess. Has anyone else had a similar experience - what did you do, what was the outcome? What do these investigators do exactly (and why do I have to make free time for them during the working day.....scrap that, it might mean I save paying the excess although that's still a loss of some holiday time)?

Secondly, (apologies that this is so long) - my insurance quote has just come in for the renewal. The premium shot up from 380 to 700 but the broker has found an alternative at 440 with same low excess and NCD (protected). So I take it I'm free to shop around even though this claim hasn't been settled yet?

Finally, what's the general view on getting fully comp, protected NCB, etc at premuims of 400 a year when your old banger is only worth about twice that? If something happened to my car, surely even the lightest repair would result in a write off.....although I suppose the best I could hope for is a low category so I could buy it off them. It's a 1.6 jap saloon with just under 90K mileage - actually cheaper to buy than the more economical smaller old bangers but not as popular and therefore more likely to be scrapped?

Thanks for wading through all that! :)
Claim investigation + it's insurance renewal time - rtj70
If this claim will not affect protected no claims then shopping around is fine but do declare it. It will be dealt with by the old policy anyway.

If fully comprehensive is not much more than TPFT then go for fully comp. Yes they may write off the car etc but you'll get the money quicker from your insurance company and they will claim off the third party. Sometimes fully comp can be cheaper anyway.
SQ

Thanks rtj, that's reassured me. Judging from the recent renewal quotes, the protected no claims is intact. I'll start shopping with details of the claim included.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/03/2009 at 18:40

Claim investigation + it's insurance renewal time - Rhubarb
Who are these 'insurance investigators' working for? I bet it's not your company but someone working for the third party 'trying it on'. I'd speak to your insurance company and send them the letter and ask them to deal with it. I would not speak to them unless you're certain they're on your side, you'd probably be going against the terms of your policy if you did anyway. If they contact you again, ask them to send all correspondence to your insurance company who are handling the claim That's what you pay your insurance company for.

Edited by Rhubarb on 13/03/2009 at 17:10

I intend to call my insurance co to check on them - although their letter does say they are acting on behalf of ..name of my ins co... - because I too wondered why this long silence on the claim then up pops this letter with a certain urgency about their request to meet with me. It's probably perfectly above board but I hope my ins co can be a bit more explanatory about what's going on.
Claim investigation + it's insurance renewal time - woodster
I'd be equally cautious about speaking to an 'investigator'. I had one contact me and spoke in such a manner as to presume I would just naturally comply with the need to provide an account. I was under no obligation whatsoever and simply told said investigator where to go!
You know, the more I think about this, it IS an imposition of them! One, they insist on urgency, telling me to make sure I have contact/make contact within 24 hours of the letter. Two, I have to make myself available to their assessor. And three, I have to prove who I am by passport and utility bill.

All to "expedite your claim". It's not actually MY claim, it's the other driver's. But I'm getting that that's insurance speak for A claim that's on my insurance.

If this is genuinely an enquiry into the other driver's possibly dodgy claim, would it be to my detriment (ie, paying excess) if I was not willing to be interviewed?
Claim investigation + it's insurance renewal time - adverse camber
Ring your insurers and find out what is going on.

It may be that the other driver is now claiming that a family of 6 have been maimed by you running into their car at high speed.

Claim investigation + it's insurance renewal time - nortones2
Its as well you had the presence of mind to take photographs. Not many think to have a camera with them!
Claim investigation + it's insurance renewal time - jbif
.. Not many think to have a camera with them! >.

Though nowadays many people carry a mobile phone with some capacity to take photos/videos.
... although their letter does say they are acting on behalf of ..name of my ins co... >>

Assuming they are appointed by your Insurance Company, the intention could be to gather evidence
1. either to challenge the claim from the 3rd party
2. or to check that you were properly insured, i.e. they knew all the material facts when you filled in your proposal form [they could ask for evidence to satisfy every detail that you filled in, eg. birth date, annual mileage, date you passed your test, etc.]

If they do pay the third party's claim, you do NOT have to pay any Excess towards that.

Claim investigation + it's insurance renewal time - rtj70
Not many think to have a camera with them!

But for evidence I think it needs to be film. And I've carried a disposable in the car for years (it gets replaced periodically).

When I did have an accident and asked the police officer it worth taking photos, he directed me what photos to take! So it's worth it.

I'd say even the best camera phones may not be good enough and as I say digital so can be assumed to be edited.... wonder what happens when there are no film cameras?
Claim investigation + it's insurance renewal time - Fullchat
Once you have established that the 'Investigators' are working for your insurance company which I think highly likely given the circumstances then co-operate with them. 'Investigators' working on behalf of the third party would have nothing to gain by getting your truthful account. Sounds like the claim has been so highly inflated as to make them suspicious and do a full investigation.
Yes stories of 6 occupants, all with whiplash, confined to a life of pain and benefits and a written off car spring to mind.
As for reprisals I would fear not, even the most brain dead scammer would find it hard to blame you for co-operating with an insurer led investigation of their making.
Claim investigation + it's insurance renewal time - nortones2
I carry a disposable film camera plus digital. One might work adequately:) The only time I needed a camera, I happened to have a polaroid (1980) which was useful. Another technology outmoded I fear.