May have been caught speed in Trafford - worried - Rattle
I think I may have gone through a speed camera at 35mph in a 30. My speedo was on about 35 so I am guessing I may have been doing 33 but I may have been going a little faster. There is this road Chester Road heading towards the Manchester United stadium, it is 40mph most the way but then becomes 30mph I have onlyu just noticed this and there is a speed camera there.

I am now worried I might have 3 points on my licence which will be annoying as I never knowingly exceed the limit.

This happened a week ago, I think I will be ok as the speed camera is near the junction I pulled out of, so I doubt I could have got upto even 30mph where the camera is. Anyway I just wanted to know if a speed aweareness course would be an option if I did get a ticket?

Edited by Pugugly on 09/11/2008 at 16:53

May have been caught speed in trafford - worried - Bromptonaut
"My speedo was on about 35 so I am guessing I may have been doing 33 but I may have been going a little faster."

"I think I will be ok as the speed camera is near the junction I pulled out of, so I doubt I could have got upto even 30mph where the camera is"

Bet you're too young to remember Billy Bunter??
May have been caught speed in trafford - worried - Rattle
Yep.

My mind is playing tricks on me as it was a week ago, I don't see how I could have missed the speed camera so I am thinking I did see it but forgot I supposer I will just have to wait and see what happens. I don't remember any flash and didn't think anything of it, its only when I have been down the same road today I realised.

If I do get points I may just give up driving for a while as if I get 6 points I am banned.
May have been caught speed in trafford - worried - Lud
You seem to be worrying unduly about not seeing a camera flash on passing a camera at a speed at or below the speed limit Rattle. If you are that sensitive and conscientious, I am afraid driving may prove something of a trial to you.
May have been caught speed in trafford - worried - Bill Payer
then it becomes 30mph I have onlyu just noticed this

That's a bit worrying, to be honest, especially for someone just starting driving, and hopefully being more careful than someone who has been driving for many years.

Look at all the warning signs and say them back to yourself. Few people do though.
Well I knew the road as 40mph and it is most cases, I just missed the 30 sign at the time unless it is my memory taking tricks on me. I suspect that the car in front would have been doing 30 which means I would have been I just can't remember.

There is just so many millions of road signs everywhere, the roadf in question is a big wide open dual carraige way (I am sure a lot of people here know it due to Manchester United) I do need to be more careful with road signs though.
May have been caught speed in trafford - worried - Old Navy
When learning to drive HGV my instructors would ask "what was the last road sign". 20p to the coffee fund if you didnt know or got it wrong, and he kept count! I still miss one now and again especially the devious ones, but missing a speed limit sign can be expensive.
Lesson learnt. I am not going to worry about this too much, but if I do get points then I suppose I might just give up, it will be expensive though as I won't get the deposit back on the insurance and I would have to sell my car. I just don't want to risk loosing my licence and I could never enjoy driving knowing an extra 3 points and I am banned.

Taken some chill pills (legal!) but they haven't helped much yet, ever since I have started driving it has made me paranoid and its starting to make me ill :(.
May have been caught speed in trafford - worried - Pugugly
Chances are that you would have heard by now. The sausage factory is very adroit at churning out NIPs now. Is it your new car ? Have you had the V5 for it ?
Got the V5 on thursday I think but it was sent of a couple of weeks ago so the DVLA will have my details so I am sure that wouldn't cause a delay.

I always keep a safe gap so providing the car in front of me was sticking to the limit I would have been. I have learnt a very very big lesson from this - never assume you know the speed limits always double check.

This is hazzard though as I am always driving down new roads due to the nature of my work, I do need to invest in one of them sat navs which tell you the speed limits and use that as a backup.

PS I wonder if it is possible to overdose on herbal chill pills? (the off the shelf kind you get from Boots).
May have been caught speed in trafford - worried - Bill Payer
I just missed the 30 sign

Signs - there have to be 2 - one on each side of the road at the start of the limit.

The speed cameras are often placed just inside 30's to catch people who don't slow down but a quick check which works if there are suitable roads around, is to look down side roads and see if they are signed 30 - if not, then the road you're on is 30.

Edited by Bill Payer on 09/11/2008 at 17:15

Yep and I have done that myself when I am not sure, in fact I always do as there are a lot of 20 zones near me and the only of telling half the time is if it is a 20 sign on the side roads you know its 30.

Feeling angry and annoyed with myself for doing something so stupid.
May have been caught speed in trafford - worried - Alby Back
Rattle, from reading your other posts I gather that you are quite young ? Please forgive the patronising nature of my next comment but please also believe it is made sincerely. Whatever the outcome of this particular incident, please learn to take life a little less seriously. This ain't gonna kill you. Oh, and please.....bin the the pills.
I am 26 so not that young considering how fast each years go when you get to 26. I know some people drive round with no insurance etc and it never bothers them one bit. My parents are very strict about MOTs, insurance etc, and have actually being careless when they could not afford an MOT and even though my dad needed it for work.

I think this sort of where I get it from, everything has to be perfect including my driving which the other day was terrible
Don't worry.
Thanks I will try not :)
May have been caught speed in trafford - worried - bazza
ACPO guidelines 10% +2, so as long as you were under a true 35mph, no need to worry. And you probably were, as most speedos over-read.
Cheers Baz
May have been caught speed in trafford - worried - Robin Reliant
Don't worry.

Nothing is guaranteed to make you worry more than when someone says that. Is it what you say to your clients when they ask, "What's the chances I'll go down for this?"

Edited by Robin Reliant on 09/11/2008 at 18:19

considering how fast each years go when you get to 26.

Heh heh... just you wait till they start passing in about ten minutes Rattle...

I agree with others here that you seem to be worrying quite a lot about not much, although of course you may be enjoying it in a way too. There's a bit of latitude over the odd mile an hour over and cameras aren't always working. Unless you are a very keen and unobservant press-on driver you won't show up on the authorities' radar. If you try to do the right thing and not violate the speed regulations too grossly and too often in front of everyone, you should be all right.
I used to worry about a lot about business when i first started out, I used to worry about the possibilities of loosing customers data etc. Three years down the line I have stopped worrying but then I just find new things to worry about. I am hoping this will happen with driving.

Even if I get caught I hope I can go on one them courses, it is £152 here but its better than having 3 out of 6 points.

If I don't get caught and thus decide to continue driving I will buy a sat nav as this would never have happened as it would have warned me about the camera/limit.
May have been caught speed in trafford - worried - TimOrridge
Try not to worry, a few years back I went past a truvelo type camera doing what was a indicated 55mph in a 40 zone. Was worrying everytime i heard the letter box go but nothing ever came off it. Im suprised in nearly 10 years of driving that i havent been done for speeding. Chances are that the camera probably hasnt got any film in it
May have been caught speed in trafford - worried - oilrag
"I am hoping this will happen with driving"

It should do Rattle. Best in general in these situations not to let anxiety stop you doing things, anxiety tends to reduce with constant exposure to the stressor- as you have found with the computers.. Also to try to relax and `live within the day you are in` - rather than worrying about `tomorrow`.

As for herbal pills for anxiety - a progressive muscle relaxation tape (or CD) would be my choice in your situation (as you describe it).

regarding cameras in our town. Police only had one and moved it from one camera housing to another every so often;)

I used to have a radar detector and could locate its presence - very amusing at the time.

Regards

Edited by oilrag on 09/11/2008 at 18:38

Thanks I will have to try that, watching TG at 8 so that won't exactly take my mind of it :p:.

I am sure I would have seen a flash so I am hoping nothing has happened and assuming I don't get a ticket and just give up driving for a while I will get a sat nav where I can tune to beep every time I go over the speed limit (obviously I would still check signs and not rely on it, it will be an aid rather than a computer).
For heaven's sake Rattle, get one with a soothing signal, not some startling beep or loud klaxon that may cause you to bound with alarm in your seat. We need you to be calm. Some of us drive about you know.

May I suggest a warm, husky, seductive but maternal feminine American contralto voice asking gently and roguishly:

'Who's edging towards the lower fringes of being a naughty boy then?'

:o}
May have been caught speed in trafford - worried - Alby Back
Ooooh.... Lud you tease you......
That sort of post belongs after the Watershed really or behind the Cycleshed.
May have been caught speed in trafford - worried - nortones2
Lud's on form. Positive from this is that Rattle is concerned. Maybe a half day with Advanced driver course. Can be useful to learn to do a running commentary. I try to, if my mind has wandered, as it does...
Our headmaster could have been recorded for posterity and Sat Nav.

"you Donkey" - bellowed from the stage in assembly - that would be fine for "recalculating" for example.

Head of dept was a big guy, but had to use crutches do to childhood polio. The stage was about 5 feet high (on which the Teachers stood in assembly) He used to make eye contact with the small first years who had to stand just under the stage - while messing about with his crutch right at the edge of the stage. Sort of worrying them on purpose.
One day however he put it over the edge and landed in a heap - head first at their feet. Impressive really. First how quickly the kids rushed back and secondly how the Master made not a sound except a `crump`. A hard school.

Edited by oilrag on 09/11/2008 at 20:36

May have been caught speed in trafford - worried - smokie
"while messing about with his crutch right at the edge of the stage"

Any lasting effect oilrag?
Smokie,
There was some comment from our (5th form) that the first years should have at least tried to break his fall. He seemed a tyrant though and behaved like some teachers did in those days - just giving kids a hard time, for nothing.
He was back a few days later and never again tried to frighten the first form with his `nearly going over` trick.

No speed traps or radar locally, in those days. The Head had a Ford Consul and pedalling a mile to school we had frost on our eyebrows on arrival.

One of our mates joined the Police and was issued with an LE Velocette - if we saw him, we used to form up in formation behind with him on our much faster bikes.. ;)
May have been caught speed in trafford - worried - Happy Blue!
I know the area the OP is talking about. Unlikely to get a ticket. Most people slow down only a little and I have never seen the camera flash (and it is a Gatso).
May have been caught speed in trafford - worried - 1400ted
''One of our mates joined the Police and was issued with an LE Velocette''
I agree with last post, I use this road every day and have never seen these cameras flash so I shouldn't be too worried.
I was issued with a brand new Velocette LE by the Manchester City Police in 1966. Like all the force's 'Noddy' bikes, it was black. I still have this bike, in retirement, and still in Police trim with a dummy radio and handset.
She still runs well and I take her to several shows in the area in the season, sometimes trailered behind my black '52 Jowett.
Ted
The Noddy bikes were grey in London 1400ted.

Is your Jowett a Javelin, that flawed paragon of fifties British automotive design, or one of those excellent flat twin sort of vans with windows like these modern Roomsters and such that were the long-term base of the company's business?

Got a lift in one once and one of its valves stuck. They didn't run well on one cylinder. But the owner cheerfully and in very short order fixed it by the roadside. Were the valve stems actually exposed in that side-valve unit? I seem to remember that they were. Fortunately it was daylight and not raining.... Lifts in Bradfords were not exciting from the speed point of view but their owners were often good-natured, and tended to boast about the economy and practicality of their puttering steeds...

Edited by Lud on 10/11/2008 at 23:02

Hi Lud,...and they were dark red in Lancashire and grey in Cheshire.
My car is a Javelin, I've owned her for 36 yrs. I've owned several in the meantime, some for spares and some to save from the breakers. I've also owned a couple of Bradfords and 1937 8hp saloons.
The Javelin always creates a lot of intetrest....even when parked next to something more exotic. Many folk now have never heard of the make.
There is a very good owners club and spares are in good supply.
Regards Ted
Major topic creep, but with the greatest respect to the OP far more interesting !
Not too much of a topic creep, PU , as I am typing this about half a mile from the location of the OP's possible misfortune !
Ted