Protected no claims really is a waste of time - retgwte
More than 10 years without a claim

Except last December an idiot crashed into me

Who admitted liability at the roadside, but has subsequently refused to answer questions from my insurance company

I have fully comp, plus legal protection, plus protected no claims

Bog standard family car

How much do you think the premium has gone up?

"Unfortunately, we will not be able to cover you for the coming year."

What the pink fluffy dice?

From a major insurance company?

What exactly was the point of protected no claims if they are refusing to renew cover if you have one accident?

Really wish I could name and shame

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/09/2008 at 11:16

Protected no claims really is a waste of time - b308
Case for the insurance ombudsman?
would take too long to be of practical use

Protected no claims really is a waste of time - skorpio
although you can't name & shame, maybe you can describe their logo, or at least an anagram of their name.

I'd quite like to avoid them when I renew.
Protected no claims really is a waste of time - Armitage Shanks {p}
regtwe - did your insurer pay your claim? They are quite within their rights to decline to offer you cover on renewal, in the same way that you are not obliged to re-insure with them if you don't want to.That said, I do think their approach is pretty shoddy!
Protected no claims really is a waste of time - Dynamic Dave
although you can't name & shame maybe you can describe their logo or at least

an anagram of their name.

Hadn't better, or I'll be getting my scissors out.

DD.
Protected no claims really is a waste of time - motorprop
Hadn't better, or I'll be getting my scissors out.

Why this Stalinist censorship, what is HJ afraid of ? it's member's own stories.

HJ himself does worse naming in the newspaper column . Ridiculous

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/09/2008 at 13:50

Why this Stalinist censorship what is HJ afraid of ? it's member's own stories.

Whether you like it or not, it's forum policy.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=27804
Protected no claims really is a waste of time - adverse camber
You need to follow up because you now have to declare that you have been declined insurance. Which will have a significant impact on your future insurance for a long time.
AC - a fine legal point you raise! He has been declined renwal which isn't quite the same thing as a declined application, or is it? He didn't apply for cover. If I apply for car insurance, to a specific insurer, and they decline to offer cover on the basis of my age (something which they might well do) am I required to declare that to another an insurer when I apply to them? Not arguing with you - just being the Devils Advocate!
Protected no claims really is a waste of time - movilogo
Insurer can decline anyone (eg. Diamond/Sheila's Wheels dislike men etc.)

However, when you take insurance, you need to answer this "Have you ever been refused insurance?"

On a practical note, this is not a problem as being refused means applicant considered extreme risk and so insurers are not willing to insure him.

If they don't like you, I'm sure there are plenty of other insurers who want to do business with you.

Protected no claims really is a waste of time - ifithelps
Perhaps you could use the legal protection to make a claim against the company that issued it. :)

Seriously,

You would have thought the ins co would be keen to take the OP's money to claw back a little of what they paid out.

What is it that suddenly makes the OP uninsurable in the eyes of the existing company?

Surely they cannot decline to renew everyone who makes a claim?
Protected no claims really is a waste of time - adverse camber
AS,

I don't know for certain (Mark(RBLS) -> NoFMTR would probably answer that if still around).

I've been refused insurance for certain cars by insurers due to being too young or the cars being too high an insurance group, but I don't think that that is quite the same. As I see it there is a difference between refusing to insure a person at all (as I understand the OP) and refusing to insure a specific vehicle for an individual (which is more the company setting out their risk profile). When asked the question I've always replied 'well xxx wouldnt quote me on a 911'

AC
Protected no claims really is a waste of time - barney100
Perhaps Sheila's wheels should be done under the sex discrimination act! Imagine the furore if we had a firm that covered blokes only...the ladies would be tying themselves to railings and going on hunger strike. Seriously though if the company decline you they surely can't remove your no claims bonus so it may be you get a better deal elsewhere! Insurance companies can be very difficult to deal with and fend you off with all sorts of methods. Took us a year to get a travel claim settled once and had to resort to the ombudsman. Apparently it costs the insurance firm a lot of money to deal with the ombudsman and in many cases it is cheaper to pay you out, the mere threat of the big O is sometimes enough if you are in the right as we were.
Protected no claims really is a waste of time - L'escargot
Perhaps Sheila's wheels should be done under the sex discrimination act!

What would be the point unless you actually wanted Sheila's Wheels to insure you? And when you'd "done" them you'd be persona non grata to them anyway.

Edited by L'escargot on 10/09/2008 at 10:52

Protected no claims really is a waste of time - CGNorwich
I think you will find Sheila's wheels are happy to give quotations to men as well as women. It just that their markeitng is aimed at women
Protected no claims really is a waste of time - Andrew-T
>The mere threat of the big O is sometimes enough if you are in the right <

Not strictly to do with cars, but there may be truth in this. 18 months ago our brick boundary wall (25 yds of it) blew down in a January gale. The insurance assessor had a quick look and announced that nothing would be paid as the failure was due to invasive vegetation on the neighbours' side. As ownership was undefined the neighbour claimed and was told that the cause was inadequate maintenance on our side; and as our insurer would pay nothing, neither would theirs.

To cut a long story short, after some months' correspondence and repeated threats of the ombudsman, they agreed to pay 25%; and because of the preamble, the neighbours' insurers agreed likewise. So we recovered half the cost, or about 6 grand. In view of the age of the wall, I thought that was about fair.

So keep trying - it may pay off.

Edited by Andrew-T on 10/09/2008 at 12:11

Protected no claims really is a waste of time - FotheringtonThomas
Can't you get any further details from them? Some people can be quite chatty on the 'phone if you ask them nicely.
Protected no claims really is a waste of time - colino
In my experience, yes the extra money that you pay out for "protection" is a complete waste, especially when being fed to an inappropriate source. (Why did I think it a good idea to have my modern cars covered by someone dressed to command 19th century ships?) All insurance claims seem to be a one-sided struggle - unless your dealing with a generous and free-spending pachyderm.
Protected no claims really is a waste of time - PR {P}
In my experience protected NCB is worth it. I had a fault claim after going off the road in a blizzard. My NCB was protected and when I took out my next policy it had gone up but only by a few pounds. The insurance companies work out your premium then apply the discount. SO if you have a claim then the price will increase due to the higher risk you now pose. The discount will then be taken off, and here is where you will save. Its stopping you from getting hit with a "double wammy".
Protected no claims really is a waste of time - Optimist
OP didn't come back and say whether or not his insurance company paid out but presumably they did.

In that case I don't see why they didn't pursue the company whose punter initially admitted liability. What's the legal expenses charge for?

We all know insurance companies cherry pick as far as possible and that they would rather not take risks - that's how they make their profit.

But turning down the re-application here seems completely over the top. And I would like to know if the OP got any NCD from the company he went to. Protected bonus schemes are designed to tie you to your present company, aren't they?

I agree it should go to the Ombudsman. Can't see how there's a resolution otherwise.

Protected no claims really is a waste of time - Altea Ego
So OP has been told he will not be re-insured, and has to tell any new company he has been refused insurance, but with a protected no-claims can he also say "but I have 60% NCB"

how is that going to work? is protected NCB transferable?

Protected no claims really is a waste of time - PR {P}
Yes it is transferrable. You declare any claims as usual, say 1 in the last year. Then you declare full NCB (or whatever). Your previous insurer will confirm to your new insurer that you do indeed have the full NCB
Protected no claims really is a waste of time - Brit_in_Germany
There may be other reasons for the company declining to renew other than perceived risk, for example failure to notify them of a possible claim within the set time limit etc. (though not, of course, believing that that is the situation here).
Protected no claims really is a waste of time - Bill Payer
This is a very odd story - did "discussions" over the claim get heated, or anything like that? Perhaps the ins co is dubious about the circumstances??
Protected no claims really is a waste of time - Andrew-T
A well-known internet insurance company with a 5-letter name will not take new customers who have claimed in the last (I think 4) years. What happens to a customer who claims? is their cover withdrawn for another 4 years?

Thanks all, in answer to your various questions

Re "did your insurer pay your claim? " yes, the car was being repaired within a week, I had a loan car from the garage, took an age to fix during which time I was driving a much smaller car but nothing I would blame the insurance company for

Re "That said, I do think their approach is pretty shoddy!" agreed

Re "You need to follow up because you now have to declare that you have been declined insurance. Which will have a significant impact on your future insurance for a long time. " Yep, see below

Re "In my experience, yes the extra money that you pay out for "protection" is a complete waste" I am very dubious about protection now

Re "In that case I don't see why they didn't pursue the company whose punter initially admitted liability." they have been very bad at sorting out this aspect of the claim, their claims processing is subcontracted to another company, and in my view this should be a simple claim, even the other parties insurance should cave as their driver has refused to talk (according to my insurance company), also my company has been terrible at keeping me informed

Re "What's the legal expenses charge for?" exactly, I had to make a formal complaint to get them to appoint a solicitor and start attempted legal recovery of my excess (and more importantly my NCB), I was suspicious that they were rejecting me for having the nerve to complain on this matter

Re "But turning down the re-application here seems completely over the top." yep, although their admin on other matters has been terrible, e.g. after address change they kept sending stuff to old address etc

Re "failure to notify them of a possible claim within the set time limit etc." nope was on the phone to them as soon as it happened as my car was in bits and pieces

Re "This is a very odd story - did "discussions" over the claim get heated" nope, in fact mostly business like emails

So currently the one claim isn't resolved, more than 6 months after the accident, it is neither a fault or a no fault claim, it shows as in progress

After chasing them today....

They blamed poor admin and immediately issued a renewal quote of only circa 200 quid, which is the cheapest insurance quote I have ever had, which for a group 8 car only 2 years old isn't bad

However I am left with a bitter taste at their ongoing poor admin etc

Also my ex-directory numbers are being bombarded by other insurance companies offering me quotes, a cynic would think my insurance company has sold my number to various competitors to try and get rid of me, as these numbers are very tightly restricted in terms of circulation

And their poor service

And the fact I have this claim outstanding which I am pretty confident any other leading insurer would have cleared and had showing as no fault to me by now

But the question remains what would I have done if they had continued to refuse cover? Is the credit crunch so bad that insurance companies are wiping whole sections of their demographics off cover?

Very strange

Thanks for the comprehensive update! Re the last pagagraph - most companies claim to be losing money, overall, on their car insurance business. On this basis I guess they WILL wipe out whole sections of their customer base, starting with those whose accident payouts have exceeded their premium payments ie you, dare I guess?
yes but averaged over a twenty odd year driving career the insurance industry has, as you would expect, made a very tidy profit from me

if they improved their claim handling processes they would become a whole lot more profitable as more customers would stay with them, and they would recover money from other parties more efficiently

so i dont think rational business decisions are much in evidence

just poor admin (as they admit) and poor management

oh yea and the tradditional way of offloading customers is to charge over the odds for the premium, not a total refusal to cover

total refusal to cover i would only expect where fraud or similar is suspected

maybe the world is changing

what exactly does "protected non claims" entitle you to at renewal? would you have a case of breach of contract if they indeed refused to renew?

They may have made a profit from you over 20 years but has that profit been accumulated with one insurer? SFAIK No claim bonus is protected as ??% but this is applied to a premium which can be arbitarily raised at their whim, year by year, to result in a premium which you won't accept. I do find a refusal to renew a bit strange though.
Protected no claims really is a waste of time - Mapmaker
>>of only circa 200 quid, which is the cheapest insurance quote I have ever had, which
>>for a group 8 car only 2 years old isn't bad

>>However I am left with a bitter taste at their ongoing poor admin etc

I always find that cheapness takes away a bitter taste (except when it comes to beer, when the bitter taste comes from cheapness, but that's another matter...) You seem to have had your car repaired, which has cost you nothing, you've had a hire car, and you've got dirt cheap insurance for next year. Can't see why you'd be complaining! I cannot buy TPO insurance for that on a car for which I was offered £300 trade in the other day...

>>Also my ex-directory numbers are being bombarded by other insurance companies
>>offering me quotes

Errr, have you been looking at confused.com or another similar website for quotes? I should think you filled in something with your telephone number and ticked a box saying your motor insurance is due for renewal in September.
Protected no claims really is a waste of time - disbeliever
Name then you idiot. They can not sue you for libel
He isn't an idiot - he is abiding by forum rules which forbid naming and shaming as HJ could be sued for permittting such posts.
Protected no claims really is a waste of time - ForumNeedsModerating
A salutory lesson indeed. Perhaps it's worth remembering the 'cheap' quotes have to get their cheapness from somewhere. The underwriters' fees are fairly constant - in fact there are many less of them, than brokers of course.
When you get a cheaper quote from brokers using the same underwriting company, you can be sure the 'cheapness' comes from a slick & efficient broking operation or the opposite.

As insurance only matters in the breach, as it were, I think it's more important to satisfy yourself as much as you can that the brokers (the people you actually speak to) run a good operation - from the customers' point of view.
A salutory lesson indeed. Perhaps it's worth remembering the 'cheap' quotes have to get their cheapness from somewhere.

SNIPQUOTE!

trouble is Woodbines, you only find out whether an insurer is any good when it comes to the 'crunch', as it were. By then its too late.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/09/2008 at 20:01

He isn't an idiot - he is abiding by forum rules which forbid naming and
shaming as HJ could be sued for permittting such posts.

so can someone explain how HJ can name and shame garages, councils and police services in his newspaper column then?

Naming and shaming - Armitage Shanks {p}
The site has 1000 posts a week say, all of which have to be checked by volunteer unpaid moderators. To keep it simple the site rules say:-

You may not identify (or post anything that allows others to identify) someone or an organisation you are accusing of dishonesty or a dishonest act. An accusation of a dishonest act would be "I paid for two but they only did one", "This company is a rip-off" and other similar comments.

You may know that what you say is absolutely true but the moderators and Honestjohn do not, and don?t have the time to find out. If what you say is not true, then this represents a serious issue for the website. It is not a risk that we will take.

HJ's Colum is 2 pages once a week and there is doubtless a team of lawyers to check what is said and decide what is lega and acceptablel.
Protected no claims really is a waste of time - jbif
in reply to retgwte:
"Unfortunately, we will not be able to cover you for the coming year."

>>After chasing them today....They blamed poor admin and immediately issued a renewal quote of only circa 200 quid, which is the cheapest insurance quote I have ever had, which for a group 8 car only 2 years old isn't bad

So problem solved. Question is, why id you not ask to speak to a senior manager to ask for an explanation when the first missive arrived? [AFAIK, refusing to renew your insurance is not done lightly, and they would have had to give you a reason due to the implications of the refusal. But this is all conjecture as you have not been refused insurance after all.] As it is, some clerk made an error and you have now got the cheapest ever quote.
Also my ex-directory numbers are being bombarded by other insurance companies

Explanation as per Mapmaker's post. I get the feeling that blame is being put at door of the Insurance Co. in question without much evidence, except for their one admitted error.
Is the credit crunch so bad that insurance companies are wiping whole sections of their demographics off cover?

No evidence for that belief.

in reply to Armitage:
The couple of people who have questioned "naming and shaming" would appear not to have read the link provided by DynamicDave. In addition, one takes to using abusive terms like "idiot". Another one seems to ignore forum rules and quotes replies in full. I think from that we can safely deduce that they are best left alone for DD to deal with.

Edited by jbif on 10/09/2008 at 19:58

Protected no claims really is a waste of time - ifithelps
>>
so can someone explain how HJ can name and shame garages councils and police services
in his newspaper column then?

Right of reply is the most important.

The OP could post his story with the name of the insurance company in it, provided it's an accurate reflection of the facts of the case.

The insurance company can then reply of its own accord, or be approached for a reply, and the reader makes up his mind.

Put bluntly, those running the forum would be unwise to assume all such posts from members would be fair and accurate.

They don't have the resources to check every story and chase up the other side, hence the 'no names' rule.
Besides what's already been said,

What HJ writes in his newspaper column are his words - what you write in the Backroom forum are YOUR words. Ultimately YOU are responsible for what YOU write in this forum, as is what HJ writes in his newspaper column.

See the last paragraph titled 'Personal Liability' in the sticky "Welcome to The Backroom. Please Read"

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=33414

Or look at it another way, not only are myself and the other moderators saving ourselves a whole heap of trouble when we edit a post, we are also saving YOU from a whole heap of trouble because ultimately YOU would be liable for the full cost of any legal action and any damages incurred.

DD.

ps, and now back to motoring please.
Protected no claims really is a waste of time - CGNorwich
Also my ex-directory numbers are being bombarded by other insurance companies offering me quotes

Leaving aside the issue of how these companies got your number in the first place I would suggest you register your number with the Telephone Preference Service - Highly effective in eliminating unwanted marketing calls.
i get the impresson its not a one off mistake by a clerk, rather its poorly implemented rules in their computer system, i get the impression i am not the only customer they have refused to renew in this way

er i was being bombarded by phone calls without having ever given this number out

although this evening i have started to look at a few other insurance web sites

dunno id rather pay a few quid extra for good service, as commerical union used to propmote "we dont make a drama out of a crisis", doesnt seem to be a modern equivalent i know norwich union who bought commercial union dont promise that

still a shame i cannot tell you all who this poor insurance company is, but many of the consumer review web sites are telling similar stories

Protected no claims really is a waste of time - Neiltoo
Regarding time to get back costs from the other driver / insurance;
Experience on two no fault claims in the last five years.

Direct Line took about six months to finalise this when I hit a police car. (really, and her fault not mine. Her sergeant said at the scene "at least you know we will pay out")

Saga took about the same when a van hit SWMBO

Seems that six months is not unusual.

We did keep on at them at regular intervals.
Protected no claims really is a waste of time - nick62
I had an accident in April 2007, (yes 2007). There were four vehicles involved.

My insurance company initially took the view that I was, at least, partially at fault, but paid out for my total loss, less my excess.

I got a solicitor on my case and eventually one party admitted responsibility.

When the case was just about to come to court, (May 2008, some 13 months after the accident), my insurance company suddenly sat-up and wanted to recover their costs through my solicitor! The case has now been adjourned until October because of this, and this alone.

Meanwhile I've had to re-insure twice in this time with an AT FAULT claim showing on my insurance record, (it cannot show as "not at fault" until the court case is compete).

The insurance companies attitude appears to me to be "what goes around comes around", until they get a clear-cut opportunity to get their money back. I really believe they cannot be bothered to take the time and effort to resolve blame when it isn't blindingly obvious!
Protected no claims really is a waste of time - Pendlebury
>>Whether you like it or not, it's forum policy.<<

I for one would be grateful if the censorers and HJ could review this.
It does seem to be a bit ridiculous having a discussion forum where you can't really discuss stuff. I appreciate that some people have issues with certain companies and others are ok with them. But how can you help people avoid bad garages/insurance companies etc if you can't tell them who they are - it defeats the object of us all trying to help each other out.

Back to the OP though - I have always thought protected NCB is a waste of money - all the insurance company does is inflate your basic premium but keep your NCB the same - still increasing your premium overall & making more money out of you.
But how can you help people avoid bad garages/insurance companies etc if you can't tell them who they are

In reply to Pendlebury:
Doesn't the link in the first post by DD tell you how?

My insurance company initially took the view that I was, at least, partially at fault, but paid out for my total loss, less my excess. I got a solicitor on my case and eventually one party admitted responsibility.

In reply to nick:
Your insurance company's interest is only to maximise profit. It will take the least cost option wherever possible.
I.M.O. That is why when you feel that you have a "no-fault" claim, it is far quicker to claim direct from the 3rd party [either DIY if you have the time and competence, or use a commercial specialist firm such as Helphire to do it for you].

Protected no claims really is a waste of time - nick62
I.M.O. That is why when you feel that you have a "no-fault" claim it is
far quicker to claim direct from the 3rd party [either DIY if you have the
time and competence or use a commercial specialist firm such as Helphire to do it
for you].

When you are stuck in lane 3 of the M5, with your motor wrecked against the Armco, it's a bit tricky trying to get one of the other three parties involved to get their insurance company to come and recover your vehicle! Apart from that, point taken, but only for relatively minor incidents.
with your motor wrecked against the Armco,.. to get one of the other three parties involved to get their insurance company to come and recover your vehicle!

Is it a condition of your Insurance that you have to use them to recover your vehicle? None of my policies have ever had that condition, and allows freedom to use any Independent provider of that service.

Apart from that, point taken, but only for relatively minor incidents.

I.M.O. - it is wise to do so for all 3rd-party-fault incidents, and especially so for "non-minor" ones.

Nothing to stop people who have bad experiences to post comments which do not name and shame and invite interested BR Members to contact them for 1 to 1 exchange details of the problem and for specifics to be stated, privately.
Protected no claims really is a waste of time - L'escargot
......... I have always thought protected NCB is a waste
of money - all the insurance company does is inflate your basic premium but keep
your NCB the same - still increasing your premium overall & making more money out
of you.

My long-standing insurer (CIS that was) doesn't increase the premium. I've had a protected NCD since I first qualified for one, and I have no intention of ever removing it from my policy.

Edited by L'escargot on 11/09/2008 at 13:58

update:

they have just refused to pay the solicitors who were looking at reclaiming the excess

what is the point of legal expenses cover if you cannot actually claim on it?

so NCB and legal expenses cover

both dodgy

this place should be shut down and stopped from operating

You are getting some serious obstruction/incompetence here. What a bunch of losers! try this link, as a next step. www.financevictims.co.uk/complain/how-to-complain....m