The Car People Dealership - alembicbassman
A few pointers about this dealership worth noting.

Ask to see the V5. It is company policy not to show you the V5. 8< snip

The prices are cheap, but why?

My car has a resprayed bonnet with obvious overspray on the wiper arm and rubber seals under the bonnet.

I eventually got a full refund after getting in touch with the local press.

8< snip

Some wording amended / removed - If the OP wishes to discuss with me the reason why, please email me - dave_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk

ps, who's to say that they did the respray? Maybe it had already been done before they obtained the car.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/06/2008 at 22:22

The Car People Dealership - pd
The other points are difficult to comment on as they have been deleted and it sounds as if the paint is poor which is not, unless the car was cheap, really acceptable.

However as a general point, a re-painted panel is very common in used cars and they are often not done to a great standard as they get a quick "blow over". This is actually more common at franchised dealerships than independents - buyers will put up with stone chips and the odd ding on a well priced car from an independent but will not at a main dealer so many such cars on your local franchised forecourt will have been significantly painted to re-condition them.
The Car People Dealership - alembicbassman
The car was an ex hire car (confirmed by phone with previous keeper)

It was 6 months old with 7k miles.

The whole bonnet had been resprayed, not just chips. It had stripes in direct sunlight, not a good quality respray.

Dealer deliberatley concealed V5. I asked directly if the the car was an ex hire car and was told it was 1 private owner.

They offered a full refund 5 minutes after the local press called them.
The Car People Dealership - Collos25
The prices are cheap, but why?

They are in the business to sell money the cars are just a means of achieving that and they are not cheap.
The Car People Dealership - daveyjp
Like any car supermarket go in with your eyes open. Only time I visited was to see an A2 which was very cheap - brand new, but thousands off list. Brand new actually meant unregistered as the car was 18 months old and not latest spec.

If a 6 month old car with 7,000 miles had only one private owner I'd be asking myself why they got rid (personal circumstances or is the car a lemon?) and avoid the car completely. I'd be more comfortable knowing it was an ex hire car.
The Car People Dealership - tintin01
We had a look at Car People in Manchester the other week. I like the way you can look without pressure, but I didn't think the cars were all that cheap and most were quite grimy actually. I would be interested to hear anyone else's experiences as they are the nearest 'car supermarket' to us and we had them down as being worth another look.
The Car People Dealership - SuperBuyer
I bought an Astra coupe from this lot in May 2003, which was 8 months, 12K on the clock ex Enterprise rent a car. This car was fine, no problems with it.

When I went to get a new car in 2005, I found a fine 307, but having agreed in principle to buy it, I asked to see the service history and log book. The V5 wasn't available, and the service history was non-existent. The salesgirl knew something about the car, but wasn't letting on. My guess was a repossesion.

So 1 good, 1 bad experience. Certainly wouldn't say they were any worse than any other car dealer!
The Car People Dealership - doctorchris
There's a car supermarket here in the North East that I visited when looking for a car for my daughter (it's a fair swap, in the end I got 2 camels for her!).
The stock was in poor shape, especially at the bottom end of the market (not old cars, just cheaper models, eg Fiat Pandas). The salesmen were very vague about their stock and not interested in showing it to me.
I agree with Andy Bairsto that these establishments are there to make money on finance and the cars are secondary to that.
The Car People Dealership - isisalar
There are valid reasons for not showing the V5. When I was in the motor trade ,on one occasion a potential customer asked to see the V5 for a top end BMW we had recently taken in part exchange.The previous owner was then telephoned at home that evening by the potential buyer and interrogated about the cars history etc.He was not a happy bunny when he came in the next morning!
Company policy was changed to avoid a repetition.
The Car People Dealership - Armitage Shanks {p}
I think that if a dealership can't or won't provide a full history for a 'top end' car and answer questions about it, it isn't unreasonable for a potential buyer to get the information any way he/she can. If there is nothing to hide what is the problem?
The Car People Dealership - ifithelps
'if there's nothing to hide, what's the problem?'

Some people p/ex their car partly to avoid any comebacks whatsoever - they've nothing to hide, it's just how they feel.

The dealer will naturally want to look after their customer.

When I sold Renaults in the early 80s we used to show reg docs with a sheet of paper over the name and address.

Question didn't often arise - think people were more trusting even that short time ago.
The Car People Dealership - dessieb123

i am in the process of trying to get my money back on a mini that i purchased around a month ago, i traded my car in which was a belter but just fancied a changed (silly me).

When i took it for a test drive there was 5 miles of diesel left in the tank so the salesman said i can only take it round the block.

I drove it and and found it to be a nice drive, so when i picked up the vehicle there were a few bits a pieces that needed sorting. They did this but missed a couple of touch ups to paintwork, which they did.

A week later i noticed a knocking noise from rear passenger side got in touch and they looked at it, they had it a week changed the bushes and drop link but noise was still there, but when i went to pick the car up the customer service guy told me on the phone all was fine no noise!! i asked him if he would come out just to make sure he said he would. when i got there he just gave me the keys and said him and another cust service guy had been out in it they heard no noise.

Took it home heard the noise and back it went, in the mean time the front grill was half hanging off they fixed it or should i say botched it!!

they took it to mini dealer and they looked at it fitted some bushes to the seat mount, still knocking noise. in the meantime i now have a grinding noise from my brakes, the 12v cigarette light comes out when you plug something in, There has been over spray on passenger side, rear bumper and overspray on the rear light cluster. The grill is now back as it was falling off.

They failed to tell me about the overspray on the light cluster but told me about the respray on passenger side.

the car has been in car peoples service bay than on my drive!!

The car is now sitting in the car people car park waiting for my next thrilling installment, They rung me yesterday and told me they will fix whats wrong with car, but i declined i asked for a refund and as a last resort a replacement vehicle, to which i got the reply of 'if you have a replacement car we will only give you trade value which will be substantially less than what i paid' .

Does anyone think i have a chance to get my money back??

cheers

Edited by Avant on 18/12/2012 at 22:42

The Car People Dealership - Galaxy

'if there's nothing to hide, what's the problem?'

Some people p/ex their car partly to avoid any comebacks whatsoever - they've nothing to hide, it's just how they feel.

Not Always!

When my friend traded-in his Toyota RAV4 the other year he told the Honda main dealer who he was buying his new vehicle from that he would be only to pleased to speak to potential purchasers of his traded-in vehicle!

As it happened, nobody ever contacted him. He reckoned the dealer probably sold the car on.

The Car People Dealership - Avant

The post by Dessieb is also in the Legal section. This thread is locked because once is enough.