I want to sell my old car for a new electric vehicle. Is there a scrappage scheme for this?

I have a 12-year-old BMW that is getting expensive to keep on the road. I want to get an electric car. It needs to be one that can handle the bumpy lane I live on (full of potholes). Is there a scrappage scheme I can use for my old car? I occasionally drive 150 miles in one go but mostly do short distances.

Asked on 3 March 2020 by Janine Sparks

The Kia Soul EV, Kia e-Niro or Hyundai Kona Electric all sound like good options. They all have generous ranges, represent good value for money and should be able to handle your bumpy lane fairly well. You could also consider the MG ZS EV - it's an electric car bargain, but its official 163-mile range means you'll probably have to stop to charge on longer journeys. Unfortunately, due to demand, electric cars aren't usually available on scrappage schemes. I'd recommend selling your BMW privately to get the most for it.