If I give my car to a garage to sell, can someone legally drive it even though it's in my name and isn't taxed?

If I give my car to a garage to sell, can a garage employee legally drive it? Is the driver covered under the garage's insurance policy without displaying trade plates? Also, the vehicle is not taxed and is still in the name of the previous owner.

Asked on 5 October 2018 by Lisa Horn

The only way 'trade plates' can be used by a trader is for driving a car himself or demonstrating a car (in which case the potential buyer can drive the car) as long as the trader's insurance covers this.