Complaining about dealer - best way to do it? - joegina
What's the best way to complain about a lack of service from a franchised dealer? I recently bought a nearly new car from a main dealer. They could only produce one key on the day of handover and promised to send me a spare as soon as they had found it. They have not done so and have failed to return calls etc. I have contacted the manager and he's as guilty (not calling back etc etc). I find this extraordinary in this day and age. I am pleased with the car, but wish I'd bought it somewhere else. These people have a commission out of me and now they're not interested. It is now 24 days. Who should I be complaining to?
Complaining about dealer - best way to do it? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Letter to the Dealer Principal (Recorded Delivery) copied to Toyota UK, Local Trading Standards, Watchdog maybe. Say that if you don't get the key within ?? days you will obtain one elsewhere and give them the bill and if they don't produce the key, or pay up for the one you get, go thru the Small Claims Court.
Complaining about dealer - best way to do it? - joegina
Thanks for the reply. Who is the Dealer Principal or how do I find this?
Complaining about dealer - best way to do it? - Optimist
You can just address your letter to the Dealer Principal at the dealership or phone the switchboard and ask for his name.

If you actually go into the dealership they may feel they want to help you rather than have you hanging round looking like a dissatisfied customer when they're trying to sell other people cars.

Assuming you now have the V5, ask the previous owner if they handed over two keys when they sold. Then you'll know whether to hassle for one that should be somewhere in the garage or for a brand new one.

Edited by Optimist on 10/06/2008 at 23:46

Complaining about dealer - best way to do it? - Pugugly
Go in !

Ask to see the Manager ("Principle" - what is that all about ? :-)
Complaining about dealer - best way to do it? - boxsterboy
Ask to see the Manager ("Principle" - what is that all about ? :-)

I bet he'll be "in a meeting".
Complaining about dealer - best way to do it? - grumpyscot
snipquote!
I bet he'll be "in a meeting".

So go there armed with a flask and sandwiches, showing that you're prepared to site there all day until you get some action. And every time a new customer comes in to the showrom, make a point of relating your story - but make sure you stick to the truth and do NOT elaborate with any fiction.

Been there, done it, got the T-Shirt - and got the action I wanted within an hour! Just be determined to win and don't leave until you get the action you want.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/06/2008 at 10:41

Dealer PricipAl is US Speak for The Man in Charge SFAIK
Complaining about dealer - best way to do it? - Brit_in_Germany
If the dealer is a limited company, the records are at companies house

www.companieshouse.gov.uk
Complaining about dealer - best way to do it? - L'escargot
Whatever you do, remain calm and don't let it raise your blood pressure. You're short of a key, that's all. In the general scheme of things it's something very minor.
Complaining about dealer - best way to do it? - niceguyeddy
If they cannot find the origianal spare they will need to order the key blank from Toyota and then get you in to programme the new spare key to match the ECU on your Toyota.

Recently we had to wait 8 weeks for a spare key from the Toyota dealer as they had supply problems in Europe ... not sure if still the case though.
Complaining about dealer - best way to do it? - oldnotbold
"You're short of a key, that's all. In the general scheme of things it's something very minor."

Until you really, really need the second key, and then your new car is just a lump of immovable metal. The OP has bought a new car - the least they can do is a) return his calls and b) supply what they agreed to deliver.
Complaining about dealer - best way to do it? - Snakey
Dealer Principal! What a pompous name for head salesman!
Complaining about dealer - best way to do it? - steve
call them and tell them you have lost the key; please can they either get you the spare or another car :)
Complaining about dealer - best way to do it? - zm
Dealer Principal! What a pompous name for head salesman!

Don't display your ignorance! The DP is not a head salesman (that would be the Sales Manager), he is the guy in overall charge of the entire dealership - probably a 75k a year job in a large Toyota outlet - and has usually climbed the ranks from the service dept rather than sales.
Complaining about dealer - best way to do it? - ForumNeedsModerating
Don't display your ignorance! The DP is not a head salesman (that would be the Sales Manager), he is the guy in overall charge of the entire dealership

But it is so laughably pompous though. You don't get head honchos in other businesses called 'Company Principal' or 'Managing Principal' 'Factory Principal' do you? they're called something like 'chief exec. officer', 'managing director' or 'chairman' - which are bad enough, but at least simply descriptive.

I think the high fallutin' titles are an attempt to differentiate & distance themselves from the common or garden 'car dealer' with all their 'baggage' & slightly grubby image & make themselves appear more than simply high street hawkers & shop managers.

Complaining about dealer - best way to do it? - Bill Payer
But it is so laughably pompous though.

I don't see that at all - it's just an industry specific way of saying General Manager. No idea where it comes from, but it's perfectly descriptive to me.
Complaining about dealer - best way to do it? - ForumNeedsModerating
I don't see that at all - it's just an industry specific way of saying General Manager.

Eh? what's 'industry specific' about 'dealer' or 'principal' - both could refer to any boss in any business - people 'deal' or trade any & all goods/services - so why not just say 'general manager' No, it's all just 'industry specific' BS to me. Some get off on it though.
You get a "School Pricipal"! This nomenclature is all part of modern management - Mission Statements, Risk Assessments and similar dross. Don't tell me about it - I work for the NHS where a think a lot of this carp was invented!
Complaining about dealer - best way to do it? - Bill Payer
This nomenclature is all part of modern management

It's not a modern thing (depends what your view of modern is, I suppose!), but the term DP has been around for as long as I can remember - certainly 30yrs or so.

There must be some reason why DP is used, although some dealerships I've dealt with have had General Managers. Perhaps someone will be kind enough to enlighten us?
Until you really really need the second key and then your new car is just
a lump of immovable metal.

Well, I certainly wouldn't have waited 24 days without finding a solution. Within a couple of days I'd have had another key cut using the available key as a pattern, and I'd have ordered a genuine key from their spares department. The car's documentation would almost certainly have included the key number. It's all very well standing on your dignity and telling the dealer that they've got to find the other key or else, but if you can solve the problem on your own then you might just as well do so. It's not as if it would cost a fortune. Then, if the dealer did happen to find the missing key you would have even more keys, and in my opinion you can't have too many. I bought a third key purely so that when I take the car in for servicing it won't matter if they lose the key. For the expenditure of a few pounds I had peace of mind.
Complaining about dealer - best way to do it? - smallfish
Maybe they just need an incentive - You could park it somewhere that would really inconvenience the dealer - maybe blocking the entrance - leave in gear and lock it up.

Then go into the office, apologetically tell them you've lost your only key but it shouldn't be a problem because there's a spare one somewhere on the premises that they should be able to find...
Complaining about dealer - best way to do it? - madf
I take my checklist when I collect a new to me car. Not all there: I don't take nor do I handover final money...

Funny how some salesmen always forget what they offered you to get a sale.
Complaining about dealer - best way to do it? - Avant
"Within a couple of days I'd have had another key cut using the available key as a pattern"

Ah, happy days when one could just go to a locksmith. Nowadays most of them, unless you get a really basic model, are all computerised and part of a plipper. Even if a newly-cut key fitted the door lock, it would probably set off the alarm.

But I agree, that doesn't excuse the dealer's incompetence. There is no excuse whatsoever for failure to return calls, even if getting a new key takes time.

Let Toyota UK know - they are one of the better importers for customer service, and have the considerable advantage of not having their headquarters in Milton Keynes, which for some reason seems to be the kiss of death for customer relations.

Edited by Avant on 12/06/2008 at 00:46

"Within a couple of days I'd have had another key cut using the available key
as a pattern"
Ah happy days when one could just go to a locksmith. Nowadays most of them
unless you get a really basic model are all computerised and part of a plipper.
Even if a newly-cut key fitted the door lock it would probably set off the
alarm.

OK, fair enough. However, when I ordered a new Ford key a couple of years ago it was in the parts department ready for collection the next day. I accept that the Toyota dealer hasn't been very courteous in not returning phone calls etc, but for the OP to wait 24 days and still not having got another key is ridiculous. I suspect the OP is more concerned at having a go at the dealer than actually getting another key. I believe in solving problems by the easiest and quickest way, especially if it will only cost me a few pounds to do so. I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face just to get "justice" and thereby satisfy my ego.