1997 (R Reg) Lock nightmare in our ford Ka - Jordimr
Hi there. We have an extremely annoying issue with the locks of our Ford Ka, and we thought someone here might be able to help.

These are the "symptoms"

1. Key will not open the driver's door (right).
We put the key inside the lock, move it in any direction, and nothing happens.

2. Using key on passenger's door makes the lock do a complete cycle.
If we try to unlock that door, we can hear the internal lock opening and locking back again. We have realized that if you grab the handle while the lock is half way thorugh its cycling, the door will open. While the door is open the lock keeps cycling endlessly.

3. Every time we get in the car, it makes us look as if we were stealing it.
To enter the car we must get into the passenger door, turn the key, pull the handle half way through the cycle, open the door, get inside, travel to the driver seat, and close the door. Once we close the passenger's door, we can hear it finish the cycle, and go quiet. The whole thing is hugely embarrassing.

4. We can't unlock the driver's door, even from inside the car.
Pulling the internal handle will open the door, but the lock remains applied, if that makes sens; the hanle is still facing inwards, like ford's do when the lock is applied.

We've looked through these forums, and while we can see that Fords are prone to experience issues with their locks, we haven't found anyone with exactly our problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

{year supplied by email}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 05/03/2008 at 21:52

Top Reply

1997 (R Reg) Lock nightmare in our ford Ka - HerrVonStieren

This problem continues up to 2000-models(and prob. later).

Same symptoms: Won't open from the drivers side, lock goes into a infinite cycle. +minus 20 degrees celcius and lower: won't make the car do anything.

But about the locks. I,ve had some success in putting some gun-oil (or equivalent thin grease) into the locks, now I can also unlock my door (left-hand. I'm in Finland) with a few turns. Better than nothing.

The most annoying thing about the faulty locks is, that the same fuse works the rear-window heater and the electronic release of the trunk. And I'm almost at the damn North Pole!

This week, I will make some videos and compile them into a comprehensive DIY-manual to fix the damn lock.

Dunno, if anybody is even reading this post...I did. But I hope my upcoming video will help.

All Replies

Lock nightmare in our ford Ka - Screwloose

You appear to have two connected problems. First; the driver's lock to catch rod seems to have come off. [It should unlock on the key in all cases.]

Secondly; the central locking isn't operating the driver's door motor.

Remove the door trim from the driver's door and visually check the link between lock and catch. Then, very carefuly, check the twist-release plug in the door-shut for corrosion on the bottom two pins - very common
Lock nightmare in our ford Ka - Jordimr
Thank you very much for your answer - it's very much appreciated.

I am not an expert by any stretch of imagination. When you say "check", could you give me a bit more detail on what I should do exactly?

Thank you once again
Lock nightmare in our ford Ka - Screwloose

The most important check is to look at the lock area and watch how the link works and see why it isn't; or compare it's action to the other door.

As to the wiring plug; maybe you'd better leave that to an experienced person, as it can get fiddly if the socket comes out of the post.
1997 (R Reg) Lock nightmare in our ford Ka - Claire86
hiya i was just wondering if you managed to get the doors fixed on your ford ka? i have the exact same problem with mine and i agree it is very embarrassing having to climb in across from the passanger side.
1997 (R Reg) Lock nightmare in our ford Ka - spikeyhead {p}
its a common problem on Ka's,

If you've tried following Screwloose's instructions without avail, then its probably time to get someone else to look at it. Go to a backstreet dealer and ask him to recommend a suitable mechanic to look at it.
1997 (R Reg) Lock nightmare in our ford Ka - HerrVonStieren

This problem continues up to 2000-models(and prob. later).

Same symptoms: Won't open from the drivers side, lock goes into a infinite cycle. +minus 20 degrees celcius and lower: won't make the car do anything.

But about the locks. I,ve had some success in putting some gun-oil (or equivalent thin grease) into the locks, now I can also unlock my door (left-hand. I'm in Finland) with a few turns. Better than nothing.

The most annoying thing about the faulty locks is, that the same fuse works the rear-window heater and the electronic release of the trunk. And I'm almost at the damn North Pole!

This week, I will make some videos and compile them into a comprehensive DIY-manual to fix the damn lock.

Dunno, if anybody is even reading this post...I did. But I hope my upcoming video will help.