98 1.1 - Loud engine and rattling/ticking noise - fin84
Hi there.
The first thing i would appreciate help with is that more often than not when i am cornering/going around roundabouts etc my saxo makes a sort of rattling/ticking noise. I must admit i dont really know that much about cars. Could anyone please give me some ideas as to what this might be and how i would get it fixed (cost etc)
Secondly, i have only really noticed it today but the car sounds louder than it should, or used to be. I wound the window down to hear it properly and it sounds like the car is really struggling. it seems at its loudest when i am pulling away, but even when its standing still it doesnt sound right.
I hope i've explained this well enough and i would be most grateful for anyhelp you could give me.
Cheers!

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 04/01/2008 at 17:56

R reg 1.1 - double whammy! - normd2
I'd take it to two or three of those 'free 10 point check' places (ie Kwik Fit, National etc etc) and ask them each to have a look. Don't commit to anything until you've got some idea of what's happening from each of their opinions. I'm assuming you don't already know a 'tame' mechanic.
R reg 1.1 - double whammy! - HLyon
An exhaust could explain both of these faults. If it's badly corroded it would be loud, especially under throttle and might no longer be secure, which could explain the noise on cornering.

Might be worth having a quick look underneath to see if anything looks obviously wrong. i.e. if you give it a shake does it rattle or hit the underside of the car.
R reg 1.1 - double whammy! - mfarrow
If the former is a speed-related ticking, and only when cornering as you say, then I would hedge my bets towards an outer CV joint problem. Finger in air I'd say budget for £70 each side (if both are faulty).

Don't know about the second fault sorry.

-------------
Mike Farrow

Edited by mfarrow on 04/01/2008 at 17:43

R reg 1.1 - double whammy! - fin84
thanks guys. I'll take everyones advice here. I think the dodgy exhaust makes sense because it had to be re attatched a while ago because my cousin said it had come away from the back box (or omething like that) so maybe it wasnt done properly and its causing the rattling because its still loose. I'll go and gt it looked at. Thanks again for all your help