I have one as a hire car - P E
Picked this up on Friday afternoon in Las Vegas when it had 93 miles on the clock. Now, at 790 miles, done on all sorts of different roads I'd like to offer my opinions on this vehicle.

In short, much better than I had expected. The interior is very nicely finished and seems to be made of 'nice to the touch' fabrics and plastics. One point of note is I found the boot to be quite small and the windscreen seems very close to the occupants.

It does about 350 miles to 14 US gallons of petrol, this costs about US $43. Its the 3.7 litre engine with an automatic gearbox. No idea what spec it is.

Make your own minds up about the look.

As a footnote, saw a few of the cars taking part in the 'Fireball Run' from Florida to California. Got a few snaps of the vehicles including a Bentley, an Aston Martin and a Bat Mobile. There was a GT40 and a Ferrari but they had roared off by the time my camera had turned itself on.

Will post a link once I have them loaded up.

Patrick

{header tweek - DD}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/10/2007 at 11:27

have a cherokee as a hire car - Bill Payer
I always try to get a Jeep Grand Cherokee when in the US. Despite the 4x4 badge on the tailgate, the hire ones are generally only 2 WD.
It's perfect for US cruising, not least because most other people are also driving SUV's or trucks.

I find the quality of them varies, and a couple have had a lot of wind noise at 50ish MPH.

I have to say that I think your MPG figures are a bit out - I just looked on the Jeep site and they only claim 15MPG city and 20MPG highway. I'm a *very* gentle driver and I got 18MPG on our last trip to the US, and I was really trying as I didn't want to buy more fuel before I took it back.

Best one I ever had was a 'proper' 4WD one in Canada - it had done 20000kms (rare to get one in the US that's done more than a few K miles) and it was a bit battered, but it drove amazingly silently on concrete roads at 100KM/H (62.5MPH) which is the fairly well adhered to limit there.
have a cherokee as a hire car - jc2
A Cherokee is a suprisingly small car-don't confuse it with a Grand Cherokee.
have a cherokee as a hire car - Bill Payer
I just looked this up and the smaller Cherokee (as sold here) is called Jeep Liberty in the US.

Edited by Bill Payer on 08/10/2007 at 10:47

I have one as a hire car - Shaz {p}
If I've worked this out correctly - thats 30 mpg (converted to uk Gallons) whic is pretty amazing for a 3.7 V6
I have one as a hire car - P E
Yes, it is a Jeep Liberty.