Today is 57-day - so what? - Oz
Spent a lot of time helping my employer to get the '57' cars finally ready for the big customer onslaught this morning. Is there any actual advantage gained by the new reg. system compared with the old? - we now have 2 blips during the year instead of one, and a massive distorting factor in the car idustry and market.

Oz (as was)
Today is 57-day - so what? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Two smaller blips instead of one big one. I think some dealers bring it on themselves by opening at midnight and trying to make the whole thing a bit of an occasion. If I wanted to collect a car at one minute past midnight I'd send my chauffeur down to do it for me and I wouldn't pay him overtime!
Today is 57-day - so what? - L'escargot
Is there any actual advantage gained by the
new reg. system compared with the old?

The numbering system was designed for the purpose of creating unique registration numbers, not for any effect it might have on car manufacturing or sales.

I think you'll find the new system will accomodate more registration numbers than any of the previous systems. The present September identifier series can go up to at least 99 which will cater for another 42 years. After that, who knows?
--
L\'escargot.
Today is 57-day - so what? - ForumNeedsModerating
Never liked vanity plates much, but I must say seeing the new '57' plate gave me an irraitional desire to hunt down a 'HZ57 VAR' VRM on a new car. Probably somewhere in Hampshire as we speak, being given the beans..
Today is 57-day - so what? - Pugugly {P}
Woodbines you must telepathic.
Woodbines you must telepathic.

I knew you'd say that Pugugly...
Today is 57-day - so what? - J Bonington Jagworth
"Never liked vanity plates much"

Me neither, and now that the DVLA is in on the act, they're rather losing their cachet. IMHO, it's a sad reflection on human aspirations that having a newer number plate than your neighbour is considered a worthwhile expense. Thankfully, as with personalised plates, the increasing affordability of it all is reducing the exclusivity.

"When everybody's somebody, nobody's anybody" (G&S)
Today is 57-day - so what? - MichaelR
I dont know why we dont follow.. every other country in the world and have no age identifier on the number plates. I don't see the need for them.
Eire does!
Today is 57-day - so what? - bell boy
i see more and more cars and trucks with no number plates these days so maybe its time to do away with them anyway?
Today is 57-day - so what? - Bill Payer
I reckon if we dropped these now, then new car sales would take a very significant hit.

I'm not at all sure what 'very significant' would be in reality, but even say a 15% fall would devastate the car sales trade.
Today is 57-day - so what? - L'escargot
........ age identifier on the number plates. I don't see the need for them.

It helps to maximise the quantity of unique registration numbers possible within the limits of the system. With the present system there can be more than 90 plates which differ only by the two digit number.
--
L\'escargot.
Today is 57-day - so what? - cheddar
Other than 55 I dont like the 5# plates, 53, 57 etc, and would rather have 03, 07 etc. So if buying a car now I would have had it registered before the beginning of Sep and probably negotiated a discount on the basis of helping a salesman's August figures.
Today is 57-day - so what? - Brian Tryzers
PU sin-binned (or should that be prim-binned? }:---) ) my last attempt at a 57 plate, so perhaps he'll let me have CU57 ARD instead. I think I'd have to go to Wales for it, though.
Today is 57-day - so what? - Pugugly {P}
Custard's OK...you'd need it on a yellow car though.
..so perhaps he'll let me have CU57 ARD instead. I think I'd have to go to Wales for it..

I would only drive that VRM in literate areas mind (!)
Today is 57-day - so what? - henry k
..so perhaps he'll let me have CU57 ARD instead.

Or DRAT SUC depending on your view? :-)
Today is 57-day - so what? - tyro
Other than 55 I dont like the 5# plates 53 57 etc and would rather
have 03 07 etc.

I know what you mean, Cheddar

Maybe it is just me, but when I see 54, 55, 56,57 etc, I see cars with roughly the same number - whereas 04, 05, 06 etc stand out as representing distinctive years.

Back in March, if I saw an 07 car, I'd notice it and think "there's a new car" - but if I drove past a 57 car today, unless I was alert, it probably wouldn't register.
Today is 57-day - so what? - cheddar
I agree Tyro, I would genuinely rather have an 03 rather than 53, 04 rather than 54 etc but for 55 which somehow looks neat.
Today is 57-day - so what? - commerdriver
Saw one in the office car park this morning I agree that a lot of the wow factor has definitely gone from new registrations. Have to say though there is still something really nice about having a brand new car
Today is 57-day - so what? - daveyjp
Also saw my first one this morning, but I didn't notice the reg until after I'd double checked the car as it was an unusual sighting too - a Mazda CX7.
Today is 57-day - so what? - Brian Tryzers
>Maybe it is just me, but when I see 54, 55, 56,57 etc, I see cars with roughly the same number - whereas 04, 05, 06 etc stand out as representing distinctive years.

This works another way, of course: it means that my 52 plate looks passingly similar to a 54 or 56 - especially since it's a model that's still being made - and I don't mind that at all. }:---)

And since PU has been generous enough to grant me CU57 ARD this autumn, it occurred to me on the train home last night that next spring I could also have RO08 ARB. I think StevieD may be of the right vintage to nod appreciatively at that - and probably hum the tune too.
Today is 57-day - so what? - dxp55
AS

Any time you want a new car I will happily pick it up for you for free at one minute past midnight - nothing mundane though

Dave