Congestion Charge in Manchester - Nsar
Looking at the plans for congestion charging in and around Manchester the idea is that between 7.00 and 9.30am you'll pay £2 to cross inside the M60 orbital and a further £1 to cross inside an inner ring the precise locatin of which isn't defined. You'll pay a further £1 to cross both boundaries on the way out between 4.00pm and 6.30pm.

This sounds like a daily challenge for thousands of morning commuters to put their foot down to beat the clock if they are getting near to the boundary as the clock ticks down to 7.00.

It also sounds like a recipe for a great knot of traffic starting to head out at 18.25 every day.

Does anyone else think this will be counter-productive and dangerous?

Congestion Charge in Manchester - leef
Not sure on this, were still waiting for full details. It will be at least 2012 before they could put anything in place and there looking to secure something like £2 billion.

I'm sure the precise locations will be clearly marked up. I see your point though of drivers at 6:57am putting there foot down to beat the £2 charge. I'll be asking for a pay rise when it comes into effect :) or flexi time....

Lee
Those are the details as they stand and the bid to central government goes in two weeks on Friday so still time to write to your councillors and MP to have your say, although I'm still waiting for a reply from my MP from months ago.

The money from central government is £1.3bn, the rest is loans paid for out of money from the congestion charge itself.

I hope you've got a generous boss.

Congestion Charge in Manchester - Lud
Three quid a day, less for residents.

Luxury!

They don't know they're born, these bluff northerners.

(Please, no one inform me that Manchester is not in Yorkshire. I know perfectly well it's somewhere else entirely. Rutland or somewhere).
Congestion Charge in Manchester - rtj70
Already inside the M60 boundary but often drive out a bit and back in again, e.g. to the big Tesco off the M60 for diesel.

The bit I think will be complex is when do I pay and when does my company? It's not my car.
Congestion Charge in Manchester - TurboD
who wants to go to Manchester anyway?- places of better places to go surely
Lud - it's £5 not £3

TurboD - thanks, we'll be in touch

Lud - it's £5 not £3

So it is. But only if you enter and leave at certain times, not all day long. It is a gentle regime by our hideous metropolitan standards.
Congestion Charge in Manchester - Vin {P}
Lud: "It is a gentle regime..."

Only for now. It'll creep on up.

V
It'll creep on up.

Er, yeah. Tell me about it Vin :o)
Congestion Charge in Manchester - barney100
About 75,000 southerners each alternate Saturday who can't find a decent team to support south of Lancashire perhaps.>> who wants to go to Manchester anyway?- places of better places to go surely
Congestion Charge in Manchester - Altea Ego
The London CC is 8 pounds and runs from 07:00 to 18:00. The cost and extended operating hours are clearly designed to keep cars out all day or maximum revenue all day (depending on your point of view)

By having a morning (07:00 - 09:30) and evening (16:00 - 18:30) Manchester is clearly looking at this in a different way. The follwing springs to mind

They could be trying to make people stagger working hours in a genuine attempt to smooth out the traffic.
They could also being trying to maximise revenue without upsetting the traders in the city who would complain about shops / business being hit by fall in trade.

Either way I feel it would be really problematical. London has one "ring of cameras" cost a fortune to install. Manchester would need twice as many to police the differing zones. Also the time in force are not long enough and everyone will shift working times to avoid them (not a problem of course if the aim is to acheive this - Revenue will plummet of course and wont pay for the cameras). Also the cost is not high enough. It wont pay for the enforcement costs let alone the cost of setting the whole thing up. Those prices wont last for long!
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
They say with new technology the cost of collecting the revenue wil be pence per transaction as opposed to pounds for London - so that's a major public sector IT contract to add on top of major public infrastructure works - it'll absolutely sail through without a glitch.

The size of the charging zone is 100 times bigger than London's!

Congestion Charge in Manchester - Mapmaker
Personally I don't find the London CC expensive. At £4 per week, I just pay it anyway - whether or not I expect to use the car.

Extension into Chelsea, where people do use their cars - as they're less likely to have 9-5 jobs - was a pure money-raising exercise - to generate £4 per week from all residents.