I don't know if I've been caught... - verytallgirl
Hi everyone, I lurk here a lot but don't usually post, but here goes...

A couple of weeks ago I was driving down the M4 to Cardiff. I went with the flow of traffic, at seventy, past some roadwords with one of those average speed cameras. At the end of the roadworks there was a national speed limit sign, which surprised me because there hadn't been any signs telling me to slow to fifty, which is normally the case. But I am concerned that I have been done. No problem, I'll take the rap...

The problem is, is that I'm driving my mum's car, which is registered and insured in her name, with me as second driver. No problem, we all cry, the letter will go to her flat! Well yes it will, but she is abroad for three months, hence the reason I have her car. No problem, just get the keys and check her flat! Well yes, but the friend she's left the keys with has gone AWOL and I cannot get in touch with her, despite repeated attempts.

I've also just been burgled and they got my car keys, so I now cannot drive home as the car is awaiting new locks. *sigh*. It never rains but it pours, eh?

So this is a very long way of asking - is there any way I can check if a fine has been issued without admitting guilt? Can I pop to the nearest police station and ask them to check, or am I just asking for a whole world of trouble? I can just see this spiralling out of control, and I end up getting arrested/ cauding serious trouble for my mum.

Thanks in advance for any advice...
I don't know if I've been caught... - stunorthants26
If you mean the stretch that actually goes past Cardiff itself, then I know exactly what you mean.
Its been a few years since I last drove on that road, but i recall it has quite tight turns and goes into two lanes from memory. I do recall there was a low speed limit although I dont remember cameras.

Cross your fingers is all I can say.
It was on the M4 itself, about halfway between Reading and Cardiff. There are plenty of roadworks being set-up/continuing/taken down, and they normally have big signs saying 50 MPH, which I do always slow down for. It's just that there weren't any of these signs, and I think they were setting them up so the limit wasn't in force, but I am so worried...
I don't know if I've been caught... - Armitage Shanks {p}
If the signage was incorrectly displayed or not displayed at all, there was no limit "In Force" other than that which would normally apply on the road.
I don't know if I've been caught... - Bill Payer
I doubt there's much you can do - even if you knew which Scamera partnership or Police force to contact I'm sure they'd cite the data protection act and refuse to speak to you.

If you have been caught they I guess your Mum will eventually get a summons for failing to identify the driver. I imagine she'd then have to go to court and explain why.

It does beg the question; What are you supposed to do if you're going away for an extended period? There have been stories about people's cars being crushed because they couldn't be contacted. And suppose the car had been seen doig something 'dodgy' - how would the Police resolve that?
I don't know if I've been caught... - GroovyMucker
I think the problem is your mother's at the moment. She will probably be sent the appropriate Notice. When she doesn't reply, a summons will be issued. That will probably be after her return, at which point she will no doubt get in touch with the court/CPS and explain the situation.

And then you can get your lovely points.
I don't know if I've been caught... - henry k
If you have been caught do remember ensure the insurance company is told.
This is the crux of the problem - can you even IMAGINE the reaction of my mum? She's due to go to Singapore at one point, and they'll probably deport her to face trial!

I'm dead on such an epic scale if I've been done. And I can't really argue the 'there were no signs!' case, if I've ignored the letter for a month or more.

GaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHAHAHhhhhAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAA!
I don't know if I've been caught... - Armitage Shanks {p}
If, as I read it, your mother is already abroad there is no way she is going to be deported for not responding to a NIP delivered to an empty house IMHO. She will be back before they could get their act together. Does another person (neighbour?) have a spare key to her house/flat. Even if they do you probably can't sign the NIP as you aren't the registered keeper but at least the NIP would give you some contact details. Calm down dear! It is only a NIP!
What AS says, of course.

If I were you, though, I wouldn't risk causing confusion at the Ticket Office by telling them the whys and wherefores. Unless you were to write a covering letter to them, explaining the siituation, and hoping you got the clerk that is prepared to read your letter.
I don't know if I've been caught... - Westpig
AS is correct, this needs to be kept in perspective........the worst case scenario is 3 points and £60.

If you were unlucky, your mother will be written to asking who was the driver..and this should arrive within 14 days of the offence.........when she doesn't reply, they'll write again and eventually send a recorded delivery, which of course won't be answered either.

By the time all that has gone on it will be near the time your mother gets back anyway, in which case all she'd need to do is write and explain the delay, at which point you'd be offered the conditional offer of the £60 fine and 3 points....as long as your speed wasn't too high.

There's 6 months to prosecute for speeding, if it goes beyond that and/or it's on the 'too difficult pile' and no one has taken it personally in the office i.e. they don't think anyone is taking the micky, then there's an outside chance it won't get dealt with anyway.

Chances are there was no camera there if you didn't see any signs to start with
"... they'll ... eventually send a recorded delivery" - not round here (NE) they won't. I would think it will vary with Authority.

"There's 6 months to prosecute for speeding ..." - from the date "they" learn who the driver is, I think. CMIIW.
I don't know if I've been caught... - Lud
As westpig says, keep your fingers crossed. No limit signs means the system wasn't complete. You are probably freaking unnecessarily, verytallgirl.

What an excellent handle. I do hope you are a girl and very tall.
I was being slightly gratuitous, I guess *grins*, but it's just so much hassle finding out, all because I'm in Cardiff and mum's in Farnham and her friend will not answer her phone. Did you know (you guys probably did but I didn't) that there isn't once central ticketing agency and that the M4 is covered by no less than five police forces?

Plus we all know what mum's are like; I'll never hear the end of it, ever. It'll make the top three of stories trotted out to total strangers in supermarket queues for YEARS. You've got to laugh, really...
And I am indeed a girl of well-above average height, yes...which makes driving an old mini rather an interesting experience...
I don't know if I've been caught... - Lud
Not unusual though. I have a very tall man friend of some 45 years' standing who has always loved small cars, had two Minis, a Fiat Abarth 595 and a plastic mid-Mini-Cooper engined bullet thing whose name I forget, there were only half a dozen of them and his could do over 120, but the handling wasn't everyone's cup of tea...
This mini has been custom-fitted out (not by us, we bought it that way) and as a result has a pair of luuuuuuvvverly leather seats...that are much bigger than usual mini seats and reduce the teeny amount of space still further.

Even with all of that though - the heater that won't turn off, the awful headlights and the truly bizarre automatic gearbox - I can totally see why people love them. I'd never driven one before three weeks ago, and though it is like driving a roller skate, it is hiliarious fun.

Am currently investigating extension seat runners