What is the car tax on my converted VW Transporter?

I own a 2012 Volkswagen T5 which was converted in 2017 to a pop-top camper with windows etc. My V5C section D5 body type was changed to motor caravan in 2018. What should I be paying for road tax?

Asked on 12 April 2023 by George Walker

Answered by David Ross
If your Volkswagen T5 is now registered as a motorhome, the VED is based mostly on weight. If it is under 3500kg the cost is £200 for engines under 1549cc, and £325 for vehicles over 1549cc - we're assuming your T5 will be paying this rate.

If it is over 3500kg then it is £165 a year.
Similar questions
I'm thinking of buying a van to convert into a motorhome. As a general rule are there any makes and models that you'd recommend or avoid?
I am purchasing a new Volkswagen Transporter van and having it converted into a campervan. The purchase price of the basic van is just over £40k. Does the premium supplement apply to vans or does it only...
I am buying a new DS 4 Cross Tivoli 225. The dealer says the tax will include the £40K premium car tax surcharge because the model was originally listed at over £40k. This particular model is no longer...
Related models
Very refined and car-like to drive with an upmarket cabin, durable and well built, smooth common-rail TDI engine, available as a Shuttle which seats up to nine, ESP stability control as standard.

Value my car

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer