Insurance for students - mscott
My daughter is a named driver on my car insurance policy but only drives during university holidays and even then only once or twice a week. Does anyone know of an insurance company that allows students to insure a car for a few weeks at a time? Thanks.
Insurance for students - deepwith
You can only do it three times a year on NU, for instance, and it cost almost as much as adding student all year. You can also insure by the day with several companies. One advantage of having her as a named driver on your policy all year is that several companies will now give her a no claims discount for the period she is a named driver - well worth having when she has her won transport and much appreciated by my daughter now she is in her first post-university job.
Insurance for students - maclean
Hi - the cheaper/more flexible companies for adding young additional drivers to a parents policy include

CIS
Liverpool Victoria
First Alternative

It is worth asking asking if it is cheaper to add them for the whole year as adding them for a few weeks at time during each vacation would incur further admin charges
Insurance for students - David Horn
It's approximatey £15 a week on Norwich Union to add a named driver, though there's a limit of 30 days per year. I'm 21, so there was also a high excess if I bumped into anything.
Insurance for students - horse
As deepwith says, before she has built up her own no claims, she'll really appreciate the discount that some insurers will offer for taking into account any years as a named driver... You would be doing her a big favour by keeping her always named.
Insurance for students - Dulwich Estate
Despite my previous post saying never Direct Line Insurance again I went and did it again for the Peugeot 306 because they gave me the best price.

They tell me I can have 90 days per year with other named drivers on the policy. We used around 30 days in the summer and two shorter spells (totalling around 10 days) this Christmas holiday for the undergraduate offspring. So it's pretty handy. The call centre staff can't or won't give me a daily rate or admin fee because it seems the system only shows a single price after they input all the details. It always makes me laugh when they ask if the 18 year old with 6 months of full licence has had any accidents or convictions in the last FIVE years.

To the point. Using the prices of my three goes so far and analysing them it seems the admin fee is £9 - £11 a time and the daily cost about £1.20 - £1.30. So a week comes out at about £20 and a day at £12.

Direct Line also say this will build up their no-claims bonus in the future. I'm not sure how a couple of weeks helps though.
I forgot - because it's a worthless heap I only have TP, F &T insurance. Fully comp may be a different story altogether.
Insurance for students - Hairyharry
Can anyone add anything new to this thread 14 months on?
Insurance for students - b308
I've used Swiftcover (online only) and found they were very cheap for my elder daughter (19) and me on a P reg Polo - they came near the top on a Confused.com list - easy to change drivers too - dropped her off and added my younger daughter (17yrs) on for 6 months for £100!
Insurance for students - Mike H
Hi - the cheaper/more flexible companies for adding young additional drivers to a parents policy
include
CIS
Liverpool Victoria
First Alternative

Liverpool Victoria quote cheap prices for students on a parent's policy, but the student isn't allowed to drive five days a week! Puts paid to driving to holiday jobs from home....
Direct Line serves the purpose for us, just as the earlier post said.
Insurance for students - jc2
Went thro' a broker but can't remember the name of the company-they insured my daughter but only when using car when at home but not at university.