What's the best way to get insurance for a 17 year old?

My son is getting his older brothers car for his 17th birthday. My dilemma is do we register the car in his name for now, with me as a named driver until he passes his test, or would it be cheaper to have my eldest son register the car in my name for now and have my 17yr old son as named driver? Or wouldn't it make much difference? There is no point him being a named driver on my car as a drive an automatic.

Asked on 26 April 2023 by Nigel Williams

Answered by David Ross
The cheaper option would be to have your son as a named driver, but this would mean you would have to be the main driver of the car, as if your son is allowed to drive the car for most or all of the time it would be breaching the terms of the insurance.

It would be more expensive to have your son as the policy holder, but having you as a named driver may help reduce the premium, and would help in the long run by building up his experience and hopefully no-claims bonus.
Similar questions
My niece has just had her 17th birthday. My sister (her mum) tried to get her insurer, RAC, to put my niece on her policy while she's learning to drive. They've been extremely unhelpful, refusing to even...
I'm trying to get insurance cover for my son who has just passed his test. We had already lined up a car, knowing its past history. Although it was 16 years old, its only covered 45,000 miles. It has just...
I am the owner and registered keeper of a Peugeot 107 that I have not used for over a year as I now have a new car. The Peugeot is in the garage, untaxed, uninsured, has no valid MoT and is SORN by the...

Value my car

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer