insurance for L driver - rustbucket
I think this has been discussed before but the insurance system seems to have changed regarding insuring a second car for learner drivers using full no claims from the full license holder.
we want to insure another cheap vehicle for our daughter to learn to drive in ,what are the best options?

situation :
Me- drive company car therefore use company insurance -no no claim in my own wright-do not own a car
Wife-has own car own insurance with full no claims
Daughter- 17 years old learner driver no car yet

Would it be best for me to own the cheap car and insure it? or any other suggestions appreciated

Last time we did this for our other daughters my wife owned cheap second car and her other car and insured it using her no claims and put me and learner daughter as namned drivers which worked out the cheapest option, now insurance companys do not want to take wifes no claim into consideration.

--
rustbucket (the original)
insurance for L driver - local yokel
It's now possible with many insurance companies for a named driver (not the policy holder) to earn no claims from their name being on the policy. So one option would be for your daughter to be named on your wife's policy. This will raise your wife's premium by a large amount, and I expect that your daughter (having passed her test) would not be able to use the car for commuting on a daily basis to college/job etc, but would be able to use it for social etc. For your wife to own two cars, but effectively to be using her age and NCD for an inexperienced driver who will in fact use it exclusively (or as good as) is known as fronting, and the ins cos watch out for it.

Option two is to buy a car for your daughter, and have the policy in her name (your wife could not be the main driver on two cars, I suspect). Her NCD will be in her name therefore. This is what we did with my daughter nearly two years ago. First year was about £750, but one year's NCD and her test passed brought the cost down (with a different co.) to £450.