A1 (M) Roadworks J1-J2 - Frankoids
Some new roadworks are in the process of being introduced betwen M25 & The Hatfield Tunnel, which seem to involve coning off of the hard shoulder.

At present rather than the usual warnings of the approaching speed limit at 1 mile, 400 yds, 200 yds etc, there is just a solitary mandatory 40mph sign to introduce the start of the lower limit, so the limit goes from from 70mph to 40mph.

I have spotted the odd SPECS camera on this stretch though some of the posts don't have cameras on the yet.
There are no warning signs about the SPECS cameras.

Spoke to the Highways Agency who said the 40mph is enforcable, but the SPECS cameras according to her records aren't to be turned on till 17th September. There is a sign saying Cameras not in use, but a bit ambigous whether this refers to the CCTV or SPECS cameras. She also said that it seems they are just setting up of the roadworks, but she will put forward my views of the lack of warning on approach, she has received several calls on this matter apparently.

Two questions!

Is a speed limit for roadworks on a motorway legally enforcable if there are no warnings on approach?

Do SPECS cameras have to have signage saying they are present to be legal?

At present people seem to be bowling through at about 50-70mph!! Would be grateful for any views

A1 (M) Roadworks J1-J2 - Westpig
can't help with your questions, but grateful for the warning...thankyou
A1 (M) Roadworks J1-J2 - Altea Ego
Two questions!

Is a speed limit for roadworks on a motorway legally enforcable if there are no warnings on approach?

No, At the start of the limited section is fine.

Do SPECS cameras have to have signage saying they are present to be legal?

No

And thanks for the warning, will be up there this week.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Just an update on these roadworks and accompanying poor signage.

The cones remain in place, but the 40mph mandatory speed limit signs have now been removed, so I presume I wasn't the only one to have complained. Looks like they will be back in place for the "official" start of the roadworks on Friday 15th September as stated on the signs.

Mmmm so athough the 40 signs were put up early, in error presumably if they have now been removed, I take it from previous answers that you could still be prosecuted for driving above the incorrectly signed limit?

A1 (M) Roadworks J1-J2 - Altea Ego
Ah now that could be different. A speed limit has to be legally applied for and granted. Its not unknown for speed limts not to have been approved and hence not enforceable.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Thanks for the feedback.

When I spoke to the Highways Agency they said that the SPECS cameras were not to be turned on till 15th September, which by the blurb on the signs is when the Roadworks start ( The Roadworks start here on such and such a date for X amount of weeks sign ) so thats the date when I presume the speed limit will have been applied for.

Apologies for being a bit anal about this, but I travel down this section every day about 05.00 & 14.00 and didn't want to unnecesarily cause a one man rolling roadblock. Or a very rapid accumalation of penalty points more importantly.

Well now with the removal of the 40 limit signs, till Friday anyway, perhaps it shows that a phonecall or more realistically a number of phonecalls can result in action from our masters of the road!