04 astra burning up oil under warranty! - jamiev
hi, i got an 04 astra 1.6 petrol burning up /using oil. is this fault covered under the warranty?
vauxhal say it will cost me £85 for diagnostics check!
is this right!
i'm not happy!

thanks

jamie

04 astra burning up oil under warranty! - aahbarnes
How much oil is it using? Is it smoking? How many miles has the car covered? Has it been serviced properly?
04 astra burning up oil under warranty! - jamiev
not sure how much, not smoking, don't know the number of miles has been serviced properly!
thanks
04 astra burning up oil under warranty! - SjB {P}
So at the moment, you don't have a fault.
You have observed something, that's all.

Suggest you let the car stand awhile (so all oil returns to the sump that is going to) on level ground, fill the oil slowly so the dipstick is exactly on Max, and record the mileage. Check the oil periodically to the same regime (standing awhile in the same location) and record the mileage when it reaches Min. Look up what Max to Min equates to in your handbook and then calculate the litres per thousand miles figure.

If not even close to 2 litres per thousand miles (1 litre per 500 miles) I suggest you are in for a tough time with Vx.
How much oil (litres/thousand miles) ?

Cars vary - some I have owned have burned oil and some haven't - but in all cases where cars have burned oil it has been when new and not bedded-in or when not bedded-in, period.

As a case in point, see my recent post at www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=44070&...e

Finally, most cars I have owned have haf a statement in the handbook covering oil consumption, including what is termed by the manufacturer to be "acceptable". Often this is as high (in consumption terms) as 1 litre per 500 miles. We may not agree, but it makes life difficult to get anywhere with a calim until this tolerance is shown to be breached.
haf=had
calim=claim
04 astra burning up oil under warranty! - Hamsafar
A man at work has the same engine and the same age IIRC, and he's always whining about the amount of oil used from new, he has had to keep a log of oil top-ups, after about 18months of dealing with Vauxhall dealer he is still whining and measuing the oil used.
04 astra burning up oil under warranty! - Victorbox
By comparison my new shape 1.6 Zafira has used ½ litre of oil in the first 12,000 miles including the running in period.