Is it just me or - rustbucket
Is it just me or I have found a new game these idiots play, when traveling on a motorway or duel carriage way you approach a slip road and you just know the vehicle coming from the slip is going to force you over. So you move over if its safe to do so (to avoid being side swipped)and then are unable to get back to the nearside lane because the vehicle that you moved over for is determined to match your speed at any cost. I hear you say drop back and pull in behind,not so easy when you are on a busy road and the vehicle behind seems to want to join the fun.
--
rustbucket (the original)
Is it just me or - storme
if u know its going to happen,,then just stay in thr right hand lane

--
www.storme.co.uk
Is it just me or - David Horn
Have always wondered what would happen if you just kept going and forced them onto the hard shoulder. I'm very careful joining motorways and do my best not to inconvenience anyone.
Is it just me or - Pugugly {P}
Buy a faster car....or just stay in the outside lane (BMW type joke), seriously I agree with you, particularly bad on a bike as I've found out on the commute to work this week.
Is it just me or - Adam {P}
This is going to sound smug and it's not meant to but doing what I do has always worked in the past. You see a sliproad - anticipate the hazard that a car might emerge from it so move to the middle lane until the hazard has passed be it in front or behind the car that's just joined the motorway.

Is it just me or - Pugugly {P}
Not that easy Adam on a congested dual.My serious advice would be to drop back and allow them to merge in their chavmobiles.
Is it just me or - Adam {P}
In the case of a busy dual carriageway then I too would slow down to let them merge in if I couldn't move over.

But generally speaking, on motorways, with enough anticipation you should avoid any mishaps.
Is it just me or - AlastairW
Why are we all making room for these people to join? On a free flowing motorway or dual carriage way it is surely up to the joiner to make sure there is room for him to do so - I know I always do.
It seems something is lacking in driver training, as many people seem to miss this point and assume it is there right to barge their way in.
Is it just me or - bobda
That's how it should be.

The person joining the motorway increases or decreases their speed to match that of the traffic in the nearest lane to them. When it is safe to do so, they then pull out and join the inside lane without causing anyone to brake or take any kind of evasive action.

This VERY rarely happens, though.

Along with people joining not matching their speed to the motorway speed, people in the inside lane move out to the middle lane as soon as they see a slip road ahead.

Stupid and dangerous if you ask me.
Is it just me or - Dzl
Indeed, traffic joining the motorway must match its speed to traffic on the motorway.

www.highwaycode.gov.uk/23.htm#233

Is it just me or - rustbucket
Indeed, traffic joining the motorway must match its speed to traffic
on the motorway.
www.highwaycode.gov.uk/23.htm#233

Whats suposed to happen and what happens in reality are two different things.The problem is a proportion of drivers think they can barge their way from the slip road and force you into the next lane.If you are considerate and move over for them they then accelarate and effectively undertake you preventing you from pulling back to the first lane.
--
rustbucket (the original)
Is it just me or - Nsar
If you're feeling a bit can't be bothered, hold back a touch and let them in. If you're feeling a bit take on the world, keep your speed and make them adjust theirs. Either way it's your decision, taken on your terms; automatically moving out is just passing the buck to those following.
Is it just me or - Group B
The problem is a proportion of drivers think they can
barge their way from the slip road and force you into
the next lane.If you are considerate and move over for them
they then accelarate and effectively undertake you preventing you from pulling
back to the first lane.

It is courteous to move into the middle lane to allow people onto the motorway, but only if it is safe and convenient for you to do so, without inconveniencing drivers in the middle lane. If not just stay where you are and let the joiner sort it out for themself. I would not automatically move over for a slip road, only if another vehicle is joining and I can see that at their speed they are going to get within a safe distance of me.

The motorways are plagued by inexperienced or inept drivers at one end of the scale, and ignorant, inconsiderate drivers towards the other, topped off with a few wilfully malicious drivers for good measure! A bit of courtesy goes a long way...
Is it just me or - BazzaBear {P}
Why are we all making room for these people to join?
On a free flowing motorway or dual carriage way it is
surely up to the joiner to make sure there is room
for him to do so

Because the lovely feeling of being in the right isn't as good as the lovely feeling of not having an idiots car embedded in your passenger door.

Also, while it may not be your job to make room for someone, it is courteous, and the roads would be a much nicer place if more people thought that was a worthwhile aim.
Is it just me or - SpamCan61 {P}
>>Whats suposed to happen and what happens in reality are two different things.The problem is a proportion of drivers think they can barge their way from the slip road and force you into the next lane.If you are considerate and move over for them they then accelarate and effectively undertake you preventing you from pulling back to the first lane.

Yep; that happens to me on a more or less daily basis somewhere between M27 J1 & M3 J4a. Glad it's not just me, I think in future I'll just stop moving into the middle lane before slip roads :-(.
Is it just me or - Red Baron
I must say, I don't tend to have a problem with this as I play the "anticipation game" where I feed in at whatever is the best speed.

I have, however, had to use the hard shoulder as an escape route when blind/unsighted/obstinate truck drivers were in the process of pulling into lane 1 from lane 2 and for me at 70mph there was nowhere else to go.
Is it just me or - stevied
Bobdabilda, it's not "stupid and dangerous" to move into the middle lane if it's a smoothly carried out manoueuvre that doesn't slow anyone down, or interrupt traffic flow too much. It CAN be stupid and dangerous, but not always. I do it if the motorway is flowing smoothly and to do so will benefit the joiner and is no skin off my nose. Just courtesy. Mind you, wouldn't do it on the M60/62 junction at Worsley, anyone on here who uses that road will know what I mean! 2 junctions very close to each other.... one group of people trying to join, another getting ready to turn off. Carnage...
Is it just me or - Roberson
I've come across this before rustbucket, but its not that common (around here at least) but is just as infuriating.

Probably what?s just as annoying are those on the slip road who have their passenger side wheels fixed on the solid while line which signifies the edge of the carriageway. They just follow it all the way to the end, effectively joining the main road very slowly. They could have joined three times sooner if they'd done it properly, but instead make everyone play guessing games as to whether or not they're actually going to pull out.

More often than not, I just flash people out of slip roads, even if the lane to my right is empty. Perhaps more likely if the gap between me and the 'joining person' is a bit neat, but most people just zip out and thank you for it, meaning you haven?t changed lane or speed.
Is it just me or - LHM
With 'normal' sliproads of decent length I find it relatively easy to anticipate the actions of joining vehicles, easing speed or moving over as appropriate.

What really 'gets my goat' is with the much shorter slips onto non-motorway dual-carriageways form the likes of Little Chefs or very minor roads.

A significant percentage of motorists will just keep on a-coming down the slip, which is simply not long enough to allow accelerating up to the 60-70mph required for safe merging. Despite my thinking, "surely they won't pull at that speed" - they do just that - at 25mph. So despite my best planning attempts, it sometimes gets a bit 'hairy' when this happens on a busy stretch of the A1.

I've sometimes observed that older drivers seem reluctant to come to a halt at junctions and will stutter along at a crawl before pulling out at 5mph into fast-moving traffic. Maybe these are the ones....?
Is it just me or - Malcolm_L
A50 where it joins the M6 at Stoke is a classic, it's a very tight left hand spiral and it's difficult to emerge onto the slip lane proper at anywhere near the right speed, you're then left with a very limited amount of space (and time) to make your move.

I've continued accelerating on the hard shoulder rather than pull out at a dangerous speed (especially when you've followed someone who's is less positive).

On the other side of the coin, I've been in the 3rd lane of the M40 and watched as a car emerged from a slip road and across lanes 1 and 2,carefully managing to keep my car in his blind spot until I used the horn to signal my presence.

Judging by the look on his face, I wouldn't have swapped places with his washing machine for a good while.
Is it just me or - David Horn
I nearly had a serious accident in exactly the situation you described - A38 Devon Expressway, Little Chef, car pulling out. I was doing 70, the right hand lane was packed and doing 80, and I remember looking at this car on the slipway and thinking "You wouldn't dare..."

Sure enough she did and pulled out more or less in front of me. I stamped on the brakes as hard as I could locking all four wheels, and she just managed to accelerate out of my way.

Also had trouble there when with my dad in the horsebox, a driver realised she was missing the junction, stamped on her brakes and swerved into the "exit" lane, realised what she'd done and came to a halt with the back of her car sticking out into the motorway...

You can't brake hard or swerve in any heavy vehicle, particularly a horsebox (this was 7.5 tonnes and had three horses in), and we missed her by inches. I think we just have a serious problem with undereducated and inept drivers.
Is it just me or - Waino
traffic joining the motorway must match its speed to traffic
on the motorway.

This has been the rule for at least the 35 years that I have been driving. Unfortunately, with massively higher traffic densities, it is easier said than done. I can think of no answer other than to be courteous and careful. The problem is made worse by drivers who join from a slip-road and automatically assume that a driver will move over for them - not giving sufficient thought to the fact that he himself might have an overtaking car on his RHS.

Some months back, I spent a few weeks in Tasmania where the population/unit area is about one fiftieth that of England. Driving was a real pleasure again rather than a chore.