Insurance dilemma - Felix
Hi,
I've ended up taking the rap for damage to a hire car that I used on company business (wasn't me honest - witness whinging thread a couple of months back...). The claim was only £70 and has come out of my pocket. What I am wondering is, do I have to declare this to my OWN insurer? As the small print on our company policy says, I have an obligation to declare an accident to my insurer or risk voiding my policy. And the hire company has a "accident report" with my name on it, and there's nothing I can do about that now.

If I declare it, is it likely to make a serious hit on my premium (or any effect at all)? Since it's a piffling amount, below my company's policy excess, then does the warning on their policy actually apply?

If I don't, could it really void my insurance, or will nobody ever find out? I don't know if such incidents sit on a database somewhere waiting to catch me out.

Anyone able to help?

Thanks
Felix

Here is the thread about the incident Felix mentions above. tinyurl.com/b3pco

Here is another thread that Felix started regarding an insurance claim tinyurl.com/8zt3h

Some people are just born unlucky I guess...

smokie, BR Moderator

Insurance dilemma - Bill Payer
Well I wouldn't mention it (but then I wouldn't have paid the £70 either).
The analogy I?d make is that when you hand a lease or PCP car back at the end of its term, you?re supposed to pay for remedial work. I know our company pays some pretty chunky bills (I saw one for £1700). Does anyone declare that - I would suggest not.