Back room and paranoia; not good for your health - Colin Standing
It's got to stop.

For years, I've gone about my business blissfully ignorant of many of the things lots of you know all about.

For the millionth time I today left home in the car; howling gale, pouring rain, appointment at hospital in ten minutes. For the millionth time I stopped half a mile from home to pick up a paper, ran back to the car, got in and froze.

Oh Lord, its not going to start. THE BACK ROOM SAYS IT MAY NOT RESTART in these circumstances. It did, just like the previous 999,999 times.

Why? What is different about my car? I should be told.

Colin S
Re: Back room and paranoia; not good for your heal - Big bird
What are u on ????????????????????
Re: Back room and paranoia; not good for your heal - alvin booth
You were just lucky today Colin.
See what happens tomorrow.
Alvin.
Re: Back room and paranoia; not good for your heal - richard turpin
Colin,
There is a person on this site who believes in planks. He uses them to save wear and tear. He says if you park your car on planks which have one end higher than the other, later on you can get in and the car will move of ot's own accord. Far out baby.
Re: Back room and paranoia; not good for your heal - KB.
The difference is Colin, while I and others here drive the basic Fords, Vauxhalls and Honda's which are occasionally given to breakdown (in a physical sense that is), you're driving the Limited Edition Surreal Mk. 1. You've inadvertantly logged on to the HJ.co.uk site when you really wanted it's associate site, Jean Paul Sartre.co.uk This, you'll find, is more suitable for you.

Hope this explains the dilemma you find yourself in.

Regards,

KB
Re: Back room and paranoia; not good for your heal - Tomo
Ignore them Colin!

I, and my wife, had all sorts of experiences in earier days (the luckiest was when a Viva gearbox fell to bits JUST inside the year!) and then she chanced upon Toyotas, since when things have been exactly as you describe them, even with one or two defections to Mazda, and more recently a Korean and an ex-colonial (still basically Japanese). It can happen.

By the way I always keep tyres to prescribed pressure plus a few psi for cornering and we do not even get punctures.

It has been said, you make your own luck.

Cheers, Tomo
Ignore them Colin!

I, and my wife, had all sorts of experiences in earier days (the luckiest was when a Viva gearbox fell to bits JUST inside the year!) and then she chanced upon Toyotas, since when things have been exactly as you describe them, even with one or two defections to Mazda, and more recently a Korean and an ex-colonial (still basically Japanese). It can happen.

By the way I always keep tyres to prescribed pressure plus a few psi for cornering and we do not even get punctures.

It has been said, you make your own luck.

Cheers, Tomo

Tomo wrote....

'It has been said, you make your own luck'.

I agree, Tomo, that to quite a large extent that you can influence the amount of good and bad fortune that befalls you.

The obvious examples that spring to mind, in this motoring forum context, are say - driving sensibly, intelligently and in accordance with well proven and accepted principles. The adherance to speed limits is one that I know is a contentious issue, and one that I've noted your comments on, but cannot be discounted when considering the effect that good or bad luck may influence the outcome of any given situation.

By way of an illustration, a couple of years ago, I attended a Road Traffic Accident in which a gentleman acquired a very powerful American sports car and decided to 'give it a spin' on a road on which the 60 mph national speed limit for single carriageway roads applied. When he was doing an estimated 100mph, a pedestrian appeared from adjacent forest land and caused the driver to swerve off the road. He then 'flew' through the air for 50 metres before hitting a tree, bursting in to flames and sustaining massive injuries and was burnt to a crisp.

He obviously thought that it was safe, in his view, to exceed the limit, but the unexpected happened and at that speed he was up a gum tree (actually it was Beech tree).

When I saw your post in December...................

Author: Tomo (---.as.wcom.net)
Date: 29-12-01 00:38

As I remember 200 kph is no more than 125 mph, so 240 should be safe for a good moden bike or car (eg Toad), given a clear road?

.........it took me back to that particular long straight road through the forest and I'm sure you would agree that there was a certain amount of bad luck there, but a greater measure of inadvisable driving. Which on that occasion, cost him his life and badly injured his passenger.

The other thing that crossed my mind regarding 'making your own luck', was the loss of 3000 - 4000 lives on September 11th. It's pretty obvious that those poor souls didn't have too much influence on their fate and their loved ones are not going to have much sympathy for the 'making your own luck' school of thought.

Nevertheless, food for thought.

Incidentally, I'm finding it harder and harder to distinguish contributors who have genuinely got a question or a point to make - and those that post here to wind up those who choose to respond. It struck me that Colin fell in to the latter category, and I'm still waiting to be proved wrong. BUT, as you will have seen me say before - I've been wrong before and admit to the fact.

KB.
Stretching a point, KB, to bring your beef in on the back of a thread on reliability.

It seems at least possible that the gentleman you mention was using an unsuitable road because the available suitable ones were all infested with anti-motoring devices or police at the behest of the ACCUTTAFOOM (Anti Car Cranks United To Take All Fun Out Of Motoring - I leave you to speculate on GUBSIDCWOTAMP!). In which event I blame these parties absolutely for his decease.

Even I have to risk the tractors and sheep sometimes, nowadays.

Getting born has a 100% probability of leading to death!

By the way, I've been driving since 1945 without hurting anybody; so why should I be persecuted because some people can't drive?

In what capacity were you "in attendance", by the way. Are you one of those who are allowed to get a shift on, at my expense as a taxpayer?
Re: Back room and paranoia; not good for your heal - Flat in Fifth
KB,

Your post above reminded me of the drive into the "office" last Thursday.

Quiet road through the forest, lots of snow/ice, nice new tyres with lots of lovely new spikes in them, limit on this road was actually 50k, but with these new tyres it was good for 80-100k+ without too much risk of a serious attack on the snow banks.

However as it was an open public road I behaved myself, infinitely oh *infinitely* more boring than having a blat, but basically like all journeys it was important to get to the other end in one piece, so discretion prevailed.

Out from the trees came two elk, I guess one was last years calf. At 100k I don't know what would have happened, certainly I am glad that I do not have killing Bambi on my conscience. Yes you do make your own luck, and I am NOT trying to sound smug about it.

BTW Carlos Sainz hit an elk in practice for the Swedish this week. I think the elk needed a closer look at Penny's hat, just luuuurv that bonnet.

regds,
Stuart
At a 100k or better you'd have been long past before they appeared!
Re: Back room and paranoia; not good for your heal - Flat in Fifth
Ah the old if you'd been going a bit quicker it would all have happened behind you defence.

True, but then perhaps would have got involved in another unseen incident which happened at a different time and place.

Suggest that your argument needs thinking through properly.
If you'd have gone faster I wouldn't have hit you. - David W
Ahh that brings back a memory.

In quite a substantial car some years ago doing 30ish in town (on a major route) when I realised an old Reliant three wheeler was about to ram me from the offside, he'd pulled out of a side road.

Being unable to compute the exact impact points, not wanting it to hurt or smash the front off the Reliant I braked hard and almost stopped as he hit me.

The guy grumbled a bit and hadn't got his details so I arranged to follow him home for these. When we got out of the cars at his house he and the missus launched into me saying that the accident was my fault for not flooring the throttle and getting out of his way.

I pointed out in the powerful car I was driving that risked crushing his mobile eggbox with the passenger door and his wife being the crumple zone.

Cheeky devil fought it for a few weeks with the insurance but I had legal protection and he didn't. One letter from my legal folks soon sorted that.

David
Re: If you'd have gone faster I wouldn't have hit - KB.
David, Nice to have you aboard the thread. I see you kept well clear 'til the smoke cleared a bit. I hate those smiley's (note use of apostrophe), but they do clearly show that you have tongue in cheek when typing a particular line, so.... :-)

An interesting little tale you tell and a reminder that legal cover can have it's uses. You don't see so many 3 wheelers about. Is it still the case that you can drive them on a M/C licence? And presumably they've all got reverse gear now. I often wondered how you got out of a BMW Isetta(have I got that right?) if you inadvertantly parked it too close to the car in front, whist facing downhill?

In (slight) connection with Reliants, an ex colleague of mine was driving his firms truck at some speed, when a Reliant Scimitar crept across his path. Suffice to say that the Reliant driver was somewhat taken aback to see the entire front half of his car, complete with engine, being taken down the road for some considerable distance, while he was left sitting in the remainder of said car. Some lessons to be learned there to do with to with the speed at which one travels, methinks.

I think I saw Ronnie Courtney say elsewhere how a thread can change direction. This must be quite a good example, and it might not have finished yet. BTW Ronnie, thanks for your kind words.

I'm still hoping Mark will decipher Tomo's puzzle. During Tomo's earlier reply, he, I suspect, misundersood my words and explained, instead, the meaning of the TOMO acronym rather than the GUBSIDCWOTAMP one - which is the one I wanted unravelling. Or would that set the ball rolling again?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that the fella that started this one (Colin S) has returned to it? Why not?, I ask.

Regards,

KB (note the absence of a full stop)
Unravelling acronyms - Flat in Fifth
GUBSIDCWOTAMP

GUBSIDCWO The Anti Motoring Police.

WO ~ without or with out ?????
Re: Back room and paranoia; not good for your heal - Rob Govier
old aviators saying...

"you are only as good as your last landing"

rg
Re: Back room and paranoia; not good for your heal - Dave Y
Another old aviators maxim:
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old, bold pilots"
Come on Tomo, Are they your only thoughts? I did at least take the time and trouble to assemble mine in to a post that, surely, warrants a bit more of an answer than - "At a 100k or better you'd have been long past before they appeared". What is the point you're making? Are you saying I'm right to criticise the excessive speed of the man in the Corvette, and that you agree? Or are you saying that he couldn't have seen him at all and drove into the woods for no reason? Or that I'm making it all up? What *are* you saying Tomo? Isn't that reply just plain dismissive?

I repeat a question that I think I've asked before - Does my contribution not warrant your time spent giving a slightly more considered reply? It is true that we both hold very different views, but it seems to me that some of your replies are so short and terse and, quite often it seems, intended to antagonise, that perhaps I ought to refrain from trying to have any sort of dialogue with you, which is not the point of the Forum.

I made every attempt to be polite and, hopefully, reasoned with the above post and acknowledged my infallibility and all you do is toss that, not very meaningful (or perhaps is was full of meaning), one liner back at me.

It is, or at least was, my hope that with age and experience come qualities that may be absent in our youth. Anyway its time for bed now.

Regards,

KB.
Tomo, I just saw your reply appear after I put mine up. You make several points and it's gone midnight and I was about to retire for the night. Perhaps I may come back tomorow? But briefly, surely you not having a go at me for allowing one subject to get round to another? I don't think any of us is innocent of that charge - yourself included. I don't consider that I can be realistically accused of having that much of a 'beef' when compared to, well, say - you for example. You refer to your 'hobby' quite regularly, so I'd ask for a bit of fair play on that one.

I don't know how I'm supposed to decipher your acronym, you'll have to spell that one out for me. I suspect it might not be very polite.

I don't need to be told that we're all going to die - I'd worked that one out for myself. You're far too intelligent to need to patronise me thanks. In the course of 28 years of doing my job, I've seen more than enough people dying in front of me, in spite of my efforts to save them, to need to be told that. Many of them were in the predicament they were in as a result of the sort of thing we've been talking about.

I genuinely acknowledge your driving record since 1945 and have no reason not to.

In connection with..........

"so why should I be persecuted because some people can't drive?"

............now whose having a 'beef'?

And finally, in connection with.......

In what capacity were you "in attendance", by the way. Are you one of those who are allowed to get a shift on, at my expense as a taxpayer?

.......If that's not a 'beef', I don't know what is.

You want to know if I'm a Police Officer?. No I'm not. Would it make any difference if I was? I'm sure it doesn't take much working out - how about an acronym like yours......IWFTFBAHDFTP28Y's

It's now WAY past bedtime, catch up with you another time, thanks for the reply.

Regards,

KB
Hello again KB!

I apologise for the suspicion.

"Tomo" is an acronym for "The old motoring Owl", "Owl" being an apellation I acquired in a radio connection a number of years ago, still known to a number of radio amateurs on packet (I get into trouble there too, usually about compulsory Morse!).

I am trying to think of an impolite phrase to match "Tomo" - not that I'd call myself that!

As to being terse, I got a rocket many, many years ago for being diffuse (and using exclamation marks). That of course was in relation to scripts. I should think all one finger typists tend to be terse.

Obviously we are not going to agree, so be consoled that I am not going to take out highly cherished Toad in the present weather.

Cheers,

Tomo
Re: Back room and paranoia; not good for your heal - Mark (Brazil)
>>IWFTFBAHDFTP28Y's

I work for the Fire Brigade and have done for the past 28 years.

What`s the apostrophe for though ?

M.
Mark, I can't do else except agree that the apostrophe is superfluous - but in my defence, it was after midnight and I thought it made it even easier to understand, so I guess you'll overlook it just this once. I do try to get most of my spelling and punctuation reasonably right, but am prone to lapses (as you will see if you look back). Certainly commas & apostrophies catch me out and we don't have the benefit of F7 here. (Or shood that bee comma's & apostrophe's?).

You haven't told me what Tomo's one stands for though - or perhaps you've worked it out and are hanging on to it to spare my feelings, in which case you're discretion does you proud.

I hope this hasn't started a trend coz it takes me ages to work this sort of thing out - maybe there's a computer programme that does it for you. If there isn't, perhaps someone needs to write one. Maybe LAS can address that now he has more free time.

Regards,

KB.
Re: Back room and paranoia; not good for your heal - Mark (Brazil)
>>IWFTFBAHDFTP28Y's

I work for the Fire Brigade and have done for the past 28 years.

What`s the apostrophe for though ?

M.
Blimey, Mark - that last one HAS thrown me. First I get the grammar wrong and now I'm seeing double. Better go back to bed.
Re: Back room and paranoia; not good for your heal - Kev
Hey fellow Kev, as we are nit-picking, how come your name has a . after it? If its your initials surely it should be between them?
Ive been wondering about it for a while.

N secondly, im well on my way to Nova ownership having had first driving lesson on wednesday.
I don't see what you lot can moan about, its by far and away one of the most fun things I have ever done.
Stop whinging about the costs [not neccesarily [?] you KB.] and go out and have a bit of fun in it!

O, and if you flashed by a crap white Nova in the future, get out me way! please ;-)

Kev
apostrophe's... - ian (cape town)
The ' takes the place of the the ears in "years".

Same as CD's or VC's is correct grammar, as they are both plural.

"Why can't the English teach their children how to [write]?"

Re: apostrophe's... - KB.
MUM...they're picking on me again!

The . is optional OK? And it's "necessarily" not "neccesarily", "Wednesday" not "wednesday"and "Oh" not "O",

"Ive been wondering about it for a while".....Hey fellow Kev, as we are nit-picking, how come .....you forgot the ' in I've.

People in glass houses........ :-)

"Ive been wondering about it for a while". .....no you haven't!

Seriously though - I'm as guilty as anyone else of not getting it right, but occasionally the grammatical "hiccup's" we see here can be quite funny.
And thank you Ian for your advice and reprimand.

Regards,

The author.
Re: apostrophe's... - ian (cape town)
it's ok, kb. i'm a big fan of e e cummings...
Re: apostrophe's... - ChrisR
Ian

it depends on which style manual, and which version of it, you are using. Harvard does away with the apostrophe in CDs in its most recent incarnation. I couldn't say what the MLA protocol is.

Chris
Re: apostrophes... - Phil P
Agreed, apostrophe in CD's definitely 'clunky'
Re: apostrophes and grammar - Pat
And incorrect! 'CDs' is a plural, there's no missing letter (such as the i in there's!)

Does correct grammar really matter? I'm a bit of a stickler normally, though sites like this make me wonder if it's all necessary as long as the meaning is conveyed.
Re: apostrophes and grammar - KB.
Oi, Mark! You started this and now you've cleared off. Talk about loading the bullets....
Re: Does correct grammar really matter? - Ronnie Courtney
Pat

In a word - yes! Correct grammar, or use of the English language, really *does* matter, but probably a great deal less on a site like this than on many others if it is to attract the splendid contributions it does on such a wide range of subjects, and from such a wide range of contributors.

On the one hand, one could argue that we should all know the correct way to do something, even if we subsequently reserve the right not to - rather like one's driving pre and post the driving test perhaps!

On the other hand, language evolves over the years, and we should not forget that Net Language has done just that, having started off as the language of researchers and students, full of in in-jokes and acronyms, and of course the asterisks, smileys and emoticons without which this site would not be complete.

So, in the words of Anon, "You pays your money, and you takes your choice"!

All that said, Ian, I'm sorry but (unusually) you lose on this one, and Chris R, Phil P, Pat (and I) win. Fowler's Modern English Usage (Revised third edition 1998) makes it quite clear that:

"Though once commonly used in the plural of abbreviations and numerals (QC's, the 1960's), the apostrophe is now best omitted in such circumstances: MAs, MPs, the 1980s, the three Rs, in twos and threes, except that it is normally used in contexts where its omission might possibly lead to confusion, e.g. dot your i's and cross your t's; there are three i's in inimical, the class of '61 (= 1961)."

KB - Well done on your 28 years' service, and what lies behind your thoughtful contributions - now I know why you post at such unsocial hours!

Mark - Well done on your deduction but, so far as your mention of KB's apostrophe is concerned, you're a wicked tease, CV *is* keeping you awake, or else you're :-P !

Ronnie

PS Scottish, and taught to speak *and* write English in Scotland!

PPS What's the Calcutta Cup!?
Re: Does correct grammar really matter? - ian (cape town)
Ronnie Courtney wrote:
>
>
> All that said, Ian, I'm sorry but (unusually) you lose on
> this one, and Chris R, Phil P, Pat (and I) win. Fowler's
> Modern English Usage (Revised third edition 1998) makes it
> quite clear that:
>
> "Though once commonly used in the plural of abbreviations and
> numerals (QC's, the 1960's), the apostrophe is now best
> omitted in such circumstances: MAs, MPs, the 1980s, the three
> Rs, in twos and threes, except that it is normally used in
> contexts where its omission might possibly lead to
> confusion, e.g. dot your i's and cross your t's; there are
> three i's in inimical, the class of '61 (= 1961)."

My head is both bloodied and bowed. :)
Damn language's evolving too quick for me ...

> PPS What's the Calcutta Cup!?
Want a new kicker? I'm sure I can find a local lad with impeccable scottish ancestry... (You seem to have down well with that NZ lad - his granny comes from where?)
BTW, I seem to recall a certain mr Jeffrey (sp?) getting into trouble for booting the trophy down Princess Street one night, after a night on the ale...
Re: English as she is spoke - Ronnie Courtney
Ian

It's not just the place-kicking (Surely Andy Irvine's genes must have been passed on to someone .... ) or the lack of a successor to that Mr Jeffrey (the "quicksolver" kicker) - the real sadness for Scotland so far as the "pseudo Scots" are concerned is that Jason Robinson allegedly has first generation dual nationality but, for some obscure reason, has chosen to play for England!

Regards, and hope your head is better.

Ronnie