More Than exasperating - El Hacko
Car insurance renewal time and thru the letterbox comes More Than's notice - same price as last 2 years, but (as mentioned here) I check with insuresupermarket.com to compare prices. In goes my car registration, personal details etc. Up comes largish list, with cheapest from (yes, you've guessed it) More Than - at nearly £100 less than they're asking me via the postman. Ring 'em, and they offer to knock off £9. Why the big difference for me as an existing customer than to come on-line as new business? I ask. Oh, you get discounts as 1. a new customer, and 2. for being on-line, says "Customer Manager". That doesn't explain the big difference - ridiculous, says I, Sorry, nothing I can do, she counters. How abt if I cancel my policy and come in as new customer at quoted price on-line? No prob, she says. Yes, I keep my No Claims etc - same conditions.
Has world gone mad? Just wish they weren't competitive, so I could tell 'em where to go!
More Than exasperating - frostbite
Even worse for me this year - their quote was £250 for this year as opposed to £200 for last year! Offered a derisory £10 off when I phoned.

Went with HSBC/AXA at just below previous premium.
More Than exasperating - rtj70
When thw wife's insurance was due with More Than, the online quote wasa fair bit cheaper. Called up and pointed out difference and they couldn't match it. When asked if I did online, was that okay (putting them as previous insurance company etc.) they were okay with it.

A mad world.
More Than exasperating - madf
It's not mad. It's about inertia- customer inertia.

Most customers are too lazy to check competitive prices at renewal time and get screwed.

You or I might think that retaining loyal and accident free customers might be a sensible way of doing business and would offer them better rates. Insurers think that existing customers are mugs and offer new customers better rates than existing ones.

I always believed that it costs a fortune to attract new custoemrs and retaining them is cheaper than losing and starting again. Insurers think otherwise..So obviously the administrative costs of marketing advertising and checking new customers are minimal compared to the costs of giving existing customers a good deal:-) And TV adverts at peak time are free andpigs fly:-)

But that's the way insurance works. A business model which encourages existing customers to go elsewhere or get screwed.. I would love to see a Business School study on it.

And then they wonder why no-one admires insurers and customer loyalty is low:-(

madf

More Than exasperating - livefortheday
Worked in a brokers for 18 years.

Insurers have absolutely no loyalty to you.

Don't credit them with this character trait, just get the best deal. Then treat yourself with the money you have saved.

Sounds vaguely like a Direct Line advert.....
More Than exasperating - v8man
There are such large variations in quotes between insurance companies that I conclude the numbers are pulled from a hat!!
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
That all makes sense in today's competitive world, but from my (older generation) perspective, I can only express the hope that one day even companies like banks and insurance companies will see, and act on the advantages of striking a balance between rewarding loyalty and attracting new business.
More Than exasperating - Roger Jones
On receiving the renewal notice for the policy covering two of my cars, I ran my details through

www.confused.com

I presented the results to the insurance brokers. £400+ was sliced off the renewal price to match the lowest prices on the confused.com list.

I had done comparative checks among half a dozen companies on this policy on two previous renewals, but found it to be competitive. I'll be using confused.com in future.
More Than exasperating - Ex-Moderator
>>will see, and act on the advantages of striking a balance between rewarding loyalty and attracting new business.

You'd think there would be some, wouldn't you. But there mostly aren't any advantages.

Lets assume that a company would like to have 100 customers. They have 100 customers, but each year they lose 10. So they want to make sure that either they don't lose the 10 or that they get a new 10.

So firstly they will analyse their losses.

Bearing in mind that;

-they will wish to constantly tune their portfolio. e.g. Car X driven by drivers Age y is costing them a fortune so they deliberately will price themselves out of that specific market.

-some losses will be unavoidable - people die, leave the country, stop driving, sell their car, fall out with their insurance broker, marry an insurance broker, whatever.

-then there is a portion that they lost, which they would have preferred to keep, but went somewhere else cheaper. - what do you suppose out of the 10 ? 3 ? Lets suppose its three.

So in order to retain those three, they will have to drop their prices on the whole 100 including those that they don't wish to keep. So they will discount 90 policies to increase the count to 93, which is still short of what they want.

Or, they just accept that they will lose all 10. Then they offer a whacking great discount to new business. This discount is so good that they get 10 new policies. Now, not only are they at 100, not 93, they also retained the original 90 at the higher premiums.

Of course its is more complex than that what with the cost of acquisition, customer relations, reputation and perception, etc., but that's basically how it works - They don't want too much loyalty. They do want new customers. They do want to lose some. As was said above, you should treat them the same way.
Couldn't agree more.
More Than exasperating - MichaelR
All this explains perfectly why the initial quote is higher than for a new customer but surely this is irrelevent once you have phoned up and asked them about this - they would not need to discount all policies, simply discount yours in order to retain you.

In cases where you are going to cancel and re-sign up again, surely its worth doing just to save the admin costs. Bizarre insurance companies.
The amount of times I had to go through the faff of starting a new policy with the same insurer to get the best price for a client makes me weep.

More Than exasperating - Ex-Moderator
surely this is irrelevent once you have phoned up and asked them about this - they would not need to discount all policies, simply discount yours in order to retain you.

Then it gets into the newspapers that all that is required is a phone call. Then, rather than the 10 people you suddenly get all 100 calling you, even those who were previously quite happy.
More Than exasperating - ndbw
Have been with the same insurer Zurich since 1955,maybe I am paying more than some others but they have always come up trumps when needed and I find peace of mind on that score worth it.

ndbw
I admire your loyalty.

The tragedy is it will never be repaid.

Service levels are set and everyone gets the same.

If you do reach the stage where you feel you are paying to much and say you may go elsewhere, they will let you walk. No discounts, no favours and no repayment of your loyalty.
More Than exasperating - Armitage Shanks {p}
And they might complicate the issue by delaying or refusing to provide you with proof of your 'no claims', unless of course you a renewal notice to show.
interesting stuff ...
ok, I accept I am out of date and idealistic, or should that be naive?
irony is, I work in PR, and clearly, image and reputation protection/perception is not an important issue for such organisations.
Crazy isn't it.

You are the type of client they should be falling over to keep and bend the rules to give you a bit of discount as and when to keep you happy. Sadly, it does not work that way anymore.

Working in broking and dealing with insurers was such a demoralising experience. Like political parties, they had focus groups, seminars re keeping clients/customer service etc, etc but at the end of the day my experience showed me this was window dressing and they only ever cared about the bottom line and pink fluffy dice everyone else.

Two things spring to mind:

1) The firm that likes to quote you happy arranging a seminar re keeping clients as this is the cheapest client to maintain and the most profitable and then adopting policies that half the time made it more difficult for brokers to keep clients for example quoting different rates all over the place despit insisting that rates would not vary by more than 10% to keep a sensible and stable market.

2) A firm that will remain nameless insuring a person for three years and then pulling my agency for 12 months because they had a large claim and the insurer had lost money on our account that year. The fact that every year and if you stripped out this claim the relevent year also they made stacks from us was irrelevent. We had cost them money and we had to pay. You can liken this to any group of car owners costing them money...they will be punished. Oh and the claim? The neighbour of our client went through the roof space of the terraced house they lived in, dropped down through the loft hatch and stole the keys to her car. He then drove it and hit a motorcyclist. They reserved £100,000 for the claim, but three years later had still not paid a penny. How this bizarre sequence of events was our clients and my fault I will never know!

in case anyone's interested in the result, I went on-line to MoreThan, intending to cancel poliocy and come in as "new customer", saving £60-ish. But had prob with site accepting my valuation, so rang 'em. Went thru whole rigmarole again, complained bitterly, was put thru to "Retention Team" (yes, I kid you not) and eventually agreed to half-way-house figure between what renewal by "dealing with human beings" cost and on-line-new business discount figure.
They got my business, but goodwill ... never.
More Than exasperating - JH
Thanks for the tip but I'm going for a lie down now. I remember now why I've stuck with Direct Line for zillions of years;
"when did you pass your driving test" - a very long time ago - oops that's not a drop down
"what is you car worth" - less than I think
"what is your occupation" - I typed in IT 'cos I work in IT and I got "Itinerant". Put me in my place. I fancy "hedge layer". "Knitter" sounds quiet and harmless. What does "personality" mean ? I obviously don't watch enough television.

Then there's "registration is invalid" - Oh ! you want it with no spaces do you ? Not to mention the slow server. Zzzz.

John
More Than exasperating - ihpj
>>How abt if I cancel my policy
and come in as new customer at quoted price on-line? No
prob, she says.

>>
Funny how insurance works. Its the same with my Home Insurance too. Renewal as 'new' custoemr is better than if I opt to renew as 'existing' customer - so thereya go.

-----
Im not plain stupid, just a special kind of stoopid.
More Than exasperating - DSLRed
I had exactly the same problem with the AA last renewal time, so its not just More Than. The woman on the phone was very, how shall we say, underwhelmed, when I spoke bitterly of my disappointment at being treated as a second class customer because they already had my business.

To make matters worse, when I asked what the quote would be to come back as a new customer (bearing in mind that the AA are acting as brokers for various insurance companies) they said that the quote was £x. "What the hell are you playing at" I said when I figured that £x was not 90% of £y, my original quote. "You said previously that new customers get 10% discount, so where's my 10% discount, that saving does not equate to 10%".

But your existing insurer, Zurich is now quoting a higher price, and are not the cheapest quote any longer, the cheapest quote is £x.

So, the same insurer was quoting different prices for 2 "people" with exactly the same profile, same age, same address, same driving driving record, same car, same occupation etc etc ...........

At that point, I gave up, told them to stuff it up their ***bleeeeeep***.

More Than exasperating - Cardew
This trend of offering incentives to attract new customers applies not only to car insurance firms.

Banks frequently offer enhanced interest rates to new savers and reduced interest rates to new borrowers.

Loyalty to existing customers seems to be an outdated concept.
ho-ho - just noticed who's advertising on far right column, urging people to be "lucky" ...
More Than exasperating - doctorchris
I am responsible for insuring 4 cars in my family and almost invariably all change to a different insurer each year, seeing some terrific reductions changing 2 policies to Norwich Union this year.
I find confused.com very useful at present.
Don't waste my time on the phone pleading with current insurer to reduce premium, just spend about 30 mins on the internet (to save £80 in the case of my own car=£160 per hour and no tax).
More Than exasperating - cheddar
The fundemenatal problem with insurance is as with all financial services, it is an incestuous industry, I made the point on another thread recently about knock-for-knock settlement of claims, a great way for the insurance industry to justify increasing the premiums of two, as opposed to one, of it's customers without incurring a greater collective cost.

Likewise mortgages, customer retention is not a major objective beacuse it is in the lenders interest for customers to move around so as to maintain their collective revenue from admin, survey, legal fees etc.

Although the FSA have ensured that the matter of endowments is now in hand pensions can/are still being sold on the basis of the brokers fees, i.e. it is in the brokers (advisors!) interest for his customer to move his/her pension around although this is often not the best for the customer.