False alarm! - ian (cape town)
I borrowed the old man's merc to go down to the shops today (Boxing Day family thing, y'know...)
When I came out, I saw that the back n/s tyre had large patches of discolouration on it, as if fluid had been spilt over it. As these all seemed to start at the wheel, and flow outwards, I was naturally worried, thinking brake-fluid leak. When I drove back, and pointed it out to the old man, he said not to worry: "That's where the dog pees every morning, when I let him out" ...
Re: False alarm! - David W
Ian,

Have a look at this I posted back in June.

David

Author: David Woollard (---.btinternet.com) Date: 30-06-01 22:31

Several years ago the first long trip with our newly aquired (s/hand) BX was to the in-laws in The Cotswolds. Cleaned the car in anticipation of creating the right image and had a brisk drive over there on a warm day.

Straight in for a cup of earl grey recounting tales of the "magic carpet" ride, then back out to unpack after a while. Horrified to find a stain of fluid under the car just betwen the radiator and front wheel. Not feeling quite so smug about the new French flyer now.

Engine oil. coolant or hydraulic fluid I wondered? Perhaps wsher fluid if I was lucky. Looked at it, tested the consistancy on fingers and smelt it. A bit inconclusive. Somewhere between washer fluid and anti-freeze we decided, it had nearly dried with an almost sticky feel.

As father in law and I discussed the possibilities Mary brought out our dog for a run, he walked half way across the front of the car and cocked his leg neatly replenishing the stain. Ah so that was it.

Made me wish I hadn't spent so much time smelling the sample on my finger!

David
Re: False alarm! - ian (cape town)
Yep, I did the finger thing as well ... :)
Re: False alarm! - KB
Thanks, both, for those ditty's which raised a much needed smile. I suppose everyone's got a wee tale to tell, but I'll refrain from trying to better yours. Certainly, you know urine trouble when you see a puddle under the car. I'm just glad you didn't try the 'taste' test as well. Pleased to know that D.W. likes a cup of E.G. Have you tried Lapsang Souchong? If not - do. If only so as you can say you know what tea made from old, used charcoal ash tastes like.

Regards.
Re: False alarm! - Slartibartfast
DW,
Lucky you didn't do a taste test !
Re: False alarm! - David W
It was very very close!

David
Re: False alarm! - Simon Saxton

Plays havoc with alloy wheels, if they are not coated.

Simon
Re: False alarm! - Simon Saxton

Plays havoc with alloy wheels, if they are not coated.

Simon
Re: False alarm! - Brian
It doesn't do copper any good either.
I used to go to a factory where they made central heating components, the night watchman's alsation used to play havoc with bits waiting for chrome plating, they had to put them back through the cleaning process before they could plate them!