Pro Forma Invoice - help - nervouselk
I was wondering if anyone knew of a garage that would give me one of these? My car was involved in an accident quite a while ago now, where the other driver was un-insured. The only way I can get any kind of money back is through obtaining one of these as I refuse to pay out the amount it will cost to fix my car and then try and claim the money back. So far all the garages I have spoken to will only give me a quote for work and an estimate on parts. This leaves me in a catch 22 situation where I can\'t get a proformer unless the work is done and i wont get the work done unless i get a proformer. If anyone knows anything regarding how to obtain one of these without having to fork out money up front it would be great if they could let me know.
Pro Forma Invoice - help - Mark (RLBS)
the Pro-Forma is a little risky. The garage\'s dislike is because they may not be able to do it for that money if they find other difficulties once they start. Therefore, whilst they don\'t care what pieces of paper they issue, they are usually reluctant to guarantee a final price.

However, you shouldn\'t need to do this;

If the work is being paid for by another insurer, they should be prepared to settle directly with the garage and I cannot imagine why they will not.

If the work will be paid for by the offending party, then insist that either he settles with the garage directly or that it is passed to his insurer.

If the third party is not insured or is not willing to go to his insurer, then either live with it or sue him. You may find a conversation about interest charges would help.

If its because you want the money but intend to either get the car repaired cheaper than that or not to get it repaired at all, then ask for an offer from the insurer.

I can\'t help but feel that either you have missed out on a step in the process or there\'s something I don\'t know or am not realising.
Pro Forma Invoice - help - nervouselk
its a little complicated but basically the guy thought he was insured under his dads insurance but isn\'t and the insurance company wont pay out based on this and dont have to So there is no insurance company involved which can pay me. My solicitor needs the proformer in order to get money from the organisation that helps payout in cases where the other driver was uninsured (cant remember the name of it) without this they won\'t deal at all. The garages wont deal with me regarding a proformer as they dont know the cost of the parts until they have to buy them. But I refuse to spend what could be several thousand on car repairs in the hope of claiming some of it back. This means I need a proformer in order to get money to get the work carried out. I cant see why the garage wont just over estimate a proformer by hundreds they already seem to do this with most insurance estimates.
Pro Forma Invoice - help - Mark (RLBS)
Sounds like you need a new solicitor to me. You probably won\'t get a payout until you can show you have at least tried to pursue the offendor. And I would have thought he (or his Father) would be well motivated by the thought of a call to the police.
Pro Former Invoice - help - terryb
Can you not claim on your own insurance so they pay out in the interim and pursue Mr Uninsured?

--
Terry
Pro Former Invoice - help - nervouselk
no, I was TPFT so my insurers wont pay. The police were informed as soon as I knew he was uninsured but they checked him out and he must have produced a document which they thought showed him insured so they wrote to inform me that they were not doing anything about it.

The word from the solicitor who is only dealing with trying to get my car repaired is that the proformer is required. To go after the guy would cost me money, money I dont want to spend as iam sure even if i won he would only pay me something like £5 a week until it was paid.
Pro Former Invoice - help - Mark (RLBS)
I don't think there is much we can do here.

Presumably you are having to pay for your solicitor to deal with this claim, and presumably nobody is reimbursing you for that ? At least if you were pursuing the fool he would have the problem of reimbursing your solicitor.

As for the pro-forma - try a back street or one-man operation. You may have more luck.

For the rest, a decent solicitor would still be my recommendation.
Pro Former Invoice - help - BrianW
A pro forma invoice is simply an invoice issued in advance of the goods being supplied or services performed, the arrangement being that the supplier will not do the work until it has been paid.
Generally speaking a pro forma will not be issued until you have placed an order with the supplier i.e. workshop.
If you are claiming through your insurer then all you need is an estimate from a workshop, in which case you will not have to pay out up front.
Or have I mis-understood your motives?
Pro Former Invoice - help - helicopter
I assume that this is for your insurance company?

In my book a quote and a pro - forma ( correct spelling ) invoice are much the same and if you contact whoever is asking for a pro forma and say something to the effect of 'I assume by pro - forma that you mean a garage estimate for the repairs '.Just get the matter clarified with whoever is asking for it , preferably in writing .

I believe no garage will generally commit themselves to an exact figure for a body repair until they get the car in and have a good look.They will say labour time but materials at cost.
Pro Former Invoice - help - daveyjp
I presume you are going through an MIB claim. The MIB claim form asks for 2 estimates (not a pro forma). There used to be a minimum claim of £3,000 for claims from the MIB. If it looks like your claim will be less than this you won't get anything from MIB and you'll have to sue the other driver.
Pro Former Invoice - help - pmh
When did MIB start paying out on damage only claims? It only used to be for personal injury claims. Surely it is up to the injured party to claim from MIB, nothing to do with the uninsured driver claiming?

The lesson to be learnt here is that if in any doubt about the ability of the wrongdoer to pay make sure that you suffer a personal injury and report as such to the police at the time of the accident.

Whiplash will soon start adding up to £3k.

pmh (was peter)
Pro Forma Invoice - help - pmh
>Surely it is up to the injured party to claim from MIB, nothing to do with the uninsured driver claiming?<

Just reread the thread, my mistake, disregard this statement.

The advice of get a new solictor seems justified!

pmh (was peter)
Pro Forma Invoice - help - derek
dont know what your worried about just knock one out in word