Renault megane 1996 misting headlamp - Mike H
Never had this problem before on any of my cars. Having tried a forum search & found no answers, what's the best way of stopping this happening - indeed, is there a way or is it just down to design? It distorts and seems to weaken the beam & it would be nice to get it sorted before the winter :-)
Renault megane 1996 misting headlamp - Victorbox
You must have a minor leak. Small chip or crack or front glass not clipped to headlight corectly - assuming you can replace the glass front separately to the whole headlamp. A temporary cure I've used (not on a Megane) is to leave off the bulb access cover at the back of the headlight to allow the front glass to dry out. The heat from the engine helps too.
Renault megane 1996 misting headlamp - Simon
You may also find that come winter time when you use the lights more the problem will disappear. With the heat that the bulb gives off it will help to dry out the inside of the headlight and may be enough to keep the condensation away.
Renault megane 1996 misting headlamp - Dalglish
distorts and seems to weaken the beam & it would be nice to >> get it sorted before the winter :-)

>>

... and the mot !!

... and the mot !!

Not a problem - passed the MOT 2 days after I bought it, and before the misting started! :-)

Although I do realise, before anyone else points it out, that just because it has an MOT it doesn't mean the headlight is legal.
Renault megane 1996 misting headlamp - BobG
Had this problem on my '97 Megane. I used to remove the bulb, put SHMBO's hair drier on hot in the bulb aperture for a few minutes or until the misting went away then replace the bulb and turn them on for a few minutes each month ( in the garage if summer !). I never found a small crack or leak around the lamp even when I put a pressure washer on it .

Good tip, will try this over the weekend. The hot weather today has reduced the problem anyway.
Renault megane 1996 misting headlamp - bazza
...and once you've dried it out, use clear silicon sealant (bathroom sealant) all around the perspex/glass rubber seal.That should cure it, worked for 3 years plus on both my Astra headlights.
Baz
Renault megane 1996 misting headlamp - Civic8
It should be a sealed unit. Volvo 740 used to suffer from this. cracked lens/seal. it wont weaken beam only defracts beam ie beam strays from original possition due to mist created by influx of water/evaporating/due to heat. Best way to sort it get it replaced.
--
Was mech1