Is there a 'warm' hatch for an 18 year old that won't be ruinously costly to insure?

Our 18-year-old daughter is angling for her own car and would like something 'more interesting' (i.e. faster) than her mother's three-cylinder 1.0 litre Hyundai i10, in which she's to date been a secondary driver (with black box). Is there a model out there - a warm hatch - which can pull the proverbial skin off a rice pudding AND not prove ruinously costly to insure for a driver of such tender years?

Asked on 28 March 2019 by Mark Hildyard

A Suzuki Swift Sport or Ford Fiesta ST-Line might be a good option, but I suspect either of these will still be very expensive to insure for an 18-year-old. Consider something older that qualifies for classic insurance... a second-generation Golf, for example, won't be quick but will be more interesting than a Hyundai i10.