What's the best first car for a 17 year old?

My son turns 17 later this month and I am looking for guidance on a first car. Our budget is £2500 and I am thinking Toyota Yaris, Honda Jazz, Mitsubishi Colt, or Mazda 2. Which of these would be the best option for reliability/cost of ownership including insurance?

That's a pretty strong shortlist. I'd be inclined to concentrate on finding the best example of any of those for sale locally rather than cutting down the list shorter. Get some insurance quotes too, to see how they compare. Also consider a Ford Fiesta with the 1.25-litre engine. There's more on saving money on insurance here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/cheap-car-insurance/