Hats off to Direct Line - Robin Reliant
Item on the radio tonight, from Monday Direct Line will not decrease the no claims bonus of any policy holder who is hit by an uninsured driver. Nor will it charge the excess on the policy.

Apparantly the government are also working on a solution to the problem of those who refuse to insure.
Hats off to Direct Line - Rosanbo
As well they shouldn't either!

They recover their losses from the MIB* so why should it be any different from any other non fault accident? (assuming the new policy doesn't apply to own fault accident involving an uninsured driver).

*and this means the car's last insurer has to foot the bill.
---
was kev_is_here
Hats off to Direct Line - paulb {P}
Apparantly the government are also working on a solution to the
problem of those who refuse to insure.

I know the answer to this one! It's called "catching them and fining them properly instead of giving them a fine that's about 1/4 of what they'd pay for insurance" and "crushing the car if they don't pay"!

Frivolity aside, and as a Direct Line policyholder myself, good on them for this. Hopefully others will now follow this excellent example. Seeing as the money comes out (as I had always understood it) from the Motor Insurers' Bureau in such cases, I've never really understood why the NCB had to suffer (leaving aside greed on part of insurers).
Hats off to Direct Line - martint123

www.mib.org.uk/GIfund.asp?id=1&subid=1F

11. Are there any special MIB rules about a claimant's no-claim discount?
No. This is exclusively a matter between a policy holder and their insurers. However, insurers have agreed, in most cases, to allow no claims bonus where a claim on MIB for uninsured losses has been met on a full liability basis.

I didn't realise how long it had been going and that they operate the green card scheme.

Martin
Hats off to Direct Line - Rosanbo
I think that would read better if it said
"to allow no claims bonus *to remain intact* where a claim on MIB for uninsured losses"

Insurance companies are *required* to give a minimum greencard cover of "third party only" *OR whatever the legal minimum of cover is for a particular country, whilst the car is outside UK.

Some companies will give free comprehensive cover (on a comp policy) for 14 days, 30 days, 90 days, some will do it only once, some will do it twice, some will have no restrictions on the number of holidays you take.

Some will charge for the comp cover green card. Most of those who charge will not tell you you have the option to go with minimum cover green card free of charge, saying "you have to have a green card and it costs XXX"

An example of this was my taxi insurance company, It was an old Vx Carlton, I had TPO cover for UK, I asked about going to Europe. She said "Oh You'll need a green card and it costs 15 pounds". "Hmm" I replied - ended the call, found out that they are *required* to give me TPO cover in France.

I phoned them back and mentioned this to her saying "so I don't need a green card afterall because I'm allready covered"
She said Yes you're right the 15 pounds is just if you want to take a written certificate with you, it's our charge for writing one out." But I don't need it, so why would I want to pay you for it?

I always ask when I get a quote what the green card cover is. Because I always goto France. But you have to be careful to make them specify what they mean. Some of them will say
"We give a free greencard cover",
"How often?"
"Unlimited"
"Comprehensive cover?"
"Oh no you have to pay extra for that"
AAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!