Ford - 'Model Year' - Bill Payer
I notice that new Fords are often advertised as 2004.25 or 2004.5 etc 'Model Year'. A dealer told me that the cars are the same - it's more related to the special offers that are available. However, I would have thought it was the other way around - ie special offers on the older cars. I was offered a much better deal on .25 model year car than on a 2004.5 but wonder if I would lose out somewhere on the specification.
I checked the brochure, but that was way out of date.
Does anyone know how to tell the difference on the car - is it marked somewhere?
Ford - 'Model Year' - Stuartli
I would suspect that it's to do with the changes in registration letters during the year - i.e. some from last year would be 03 or 53.

The code will presumably enable a car salesman to know the vehicle's approximate age.
Ford - 'Model Year' - Dynamic Dave

Could the .25 relate to ¼ and the .5 relate to ½? ie, the 2004.25 being registered in the first ¼ of the year, and the 2004.5 being registered ½ way through the year.

Ford - 'Model Year' - Garethj
I think Dave is right.

Gareth.
Aged 33 1/4
Ford - 'Model Year' - No Do$h
Ford make minor tweaks and changes to their models fairly regularly (at least as often as they get visits from the accountants). More often than not it's things like "delete pen holder, remove ashtray illumination".

When a change is scheduled to take place, Ford slot it in to production and give it a "unique" MY code. It also helps keep track of what is going on with unsold stock and you will frequently find that special offers refer to "pre 2003.5 model year" or similar.
Ford - 'Model Year' - Bill Payer
Ford make minor tweaks and changes to their models fairly regularly
(at least as often as they get visits from the accountants).
More often than not it's things like "delete pen holder,
remove ashtray illumination".
When a change is scheduled to take place, Ford slot it
in to production and give it a "unique" MY code.
It also helps keep track of what is going on with
unsold stock and you will frequently find that special offers refer
to "pre 2003.5 model year" or similar.

Yes, this fits exactly with what I thought (thanks for other suggestions but it's nothing to do with registration - these are brand new unregistered cars).

Any idea how to tell which version I actually get - it strikes me that if there's no ID on the vehicle then I could be sold an older version and not realise it, only to lose out later if I tried to P/X it.
Ford - 'Model Year' - No Do$h
Not always easy without some co-operation from your friendly Ford dealer or even from Ford. Best bet is to find out the VIN (chassis number) for the first of the MY build; try ringing Ford themselves for this. Once you have this you know to look for a car with a higher VIN.
Still trying to find out but, in the meantime, this may prove of interest:

www.ukmot.com/index.htm

It's the MOT Inspection Manual and details what examiners are required to look out for during the test.

Bit off the beaten track as regards the question, but still interesting.
A little bit more.

In the case of the 2004.25 Ford Mondeos in this link, it refers to new, reduced emissions engines which attract lower tax bands for company car drivers:

www.ringways.co.uk/refresh_mondeo.htm