Finally got Her back behind the wheel! - Hugo {P}
OK, so SWMBO has been driving around quite happily for a few weeks now.

The lady in my life was always a very reluctant driver, having been coersed into taking her test by an ex employer, and then disaster struck with the little pug 309 SRi.

She was pulling in for petrol and couldn't align it to the pump at our local garage. She got into such a flurry that she just completely lost her nerve. Apparently an old chap tapped on the window and asked her if she was OK. This was some 3 years ago.

The thing is she didn't mind driving the previous car, a Fiat Regata, the car that most people wouldn't be seen dead in!

The problem is that all the driving was down to me. With my starting up a business and working on our house, my time was precious enough without having to be the only family taxi as well.

About 18 months ago, I muted the idea about getting a small automatic for her. Although she was not keen on the idea she didn't dismiss it outright, then there was another problem - I lost my job. The idea was then shelved.

As most of you know, my mother passed away some 3 weeks ago. When we went to the house We decided to remove her car (a Nissan Almera Auto) with a view to selling it as quickly as possible to release some money to pay for short term expenses etc. However, I came up with the idea of her having a go in it.

We went on a quiet road after getting her on the insurance. My mother's policy kindly covered both of us until we either sold it or decided to keep it. SWMBO started to take a liking to it.

After a couple of journeys with me, then her mother she has now named it, put an air freshner in it and guards it with a possesive jealousy that I never knew she was capable of!

This is great! For the first time ever, I don't have to take my youngest to her riding lesson tomorrow! I can have a lie in or get on with the house. It's kind of ironic though, she is often out when I get back. I don't seem to be covering a lot of miles at the moment because I am working locally, The Discovery hardly gets used, the van only goes locally, but the Nissan seems to be clocking up more miles than ever!

H
Finally got Her back behind the wheel! - Kingpin
Great- good news, just shows how unpredictable things can be. Hopefully confidence will grow as the miles clock up. It's a case of finding the right car for each individual.
Finally got Her back behind the wheel! - volvoman
Well done H.

Just to introduce a little fly to the ointment though - have you planned your response to the inevitable "Don't think you're having a lie in whilst I'm out every day driving your kids around! Now get out of bed and finish my kitchen!!"

Only joking H - I'm sure the lovely Mrs H wouldn't do anything like that :)
Finally got Her back behind the wheel! - PoloGirl
As someone who had to be forced back into the car in floods of tears after the last encounter with a lorry, just wanted to say well done to Mrs H, and to you Hugo for obviously having more patience than the average man!

>>.....and to
you Hugo for obviously having more patience than the average man!

PG - I assume that is a compliment??

Actually I didn't have a choice. I never pushed the issue, but every time I said "If only you could drive" in a TIC way, I got a lecture about pressurising her and how cruel I was etc. So I just waited for the right moment....

In truth I think the extra freedom and the prospect of me spending more time on the house rather than ferrying the family around was probably something to do with it. The fact that she managed to acquire a nice 23,000 mile motor with all the extras as well, which is newer than mine may have helped!

My mother, who's car it was, would be pleased.

H
Finally got Her back behind the wheel! - HF
Just to say my belated commiserations on your sad loss, Hugo. I'm sorry I did not see you mention this before.
Just to say my belated commiserations on your sad loss, Hugo.
I'm sorry I did not see you mention this before.

Many thanks HF.

.. Good to see you back, maintaining your impressive (posting) statisitics ;).

H
Finally got Her back behind the wheel! - HF
Thank you Hugo.

You take care,
HF