Focus 1.4 dying out - Phelim
Hi there. I have a 1.4 Ford Focus and it has been stalling on me. About 3 months ago a noise started coming from the engine and it has been progressively getting worse. It is like 3 or 4 small claps and then it happens again a few seconds later. When this happens you would think that the car is going to die out. It has recently started to die out on me sometimes when I am changing down at junctions. I got the air mass flow sensor checked and it was fine, apparently one of the plugs was faulty so I changed that too.

Any ides would be greatly appreciated as this is wrecking my head

Many thanks
Focus 1.4 dying out - Civic8
How old is it how many miles it done?1 reason could be a backfire through inlet manifold.it could be caused by a vaccum pipe split but as I dont know the car it is a guess.faulty plug will cause miss but not a backfire assuming thats what you meant by clap?
Focus 1.4 dying out - Phelim
Thanks Mech1 for the reply

It is a 4 year old car with 48000 miles. Yeah since I changed the plug, the missing has stopped.

Is it possible that a backfire in the inlet manifold would cause the car to stall on some occassions? Do you know if there is an easy way of checking for a vacuum pipe split?

Many thanks