Correct way to start any car - Craggyislander
Hi Guys

I was having a conversation last night with a mate of mine who was a senior mechanic for Volvo for many years. We got round to the correct procedure to start a car and I mentioned that whenever I start my car I always push the clutch to the floor before turning the key(whether it's in neutral or not) and then I release the pedal when the engine has fired.

He said that this is a bad practice as it creates wear on the thrust bearing and other parts of the clutch.
I told him I always do this as I thought it was good practice and helps to reduce wear on the starter motor.

What do you reckon? Should I just start her up with no feet on any of the pedals?

Cheers :o)
Correct way to start any car - SimonJ
personally I always floor the clutch when I start a car (usually with the car in neutral)

The Ssangyong Musso (later Daewoo) that I have driven REQUIRED the clutch to be depressed for the engine to start.

Correct way to start any car - Altea Ego
I have always started a car with the clutch pushed in. Stems from the days of driving cars where the battery was so cream crackered it didnt have the power to turn the engine over fast enough with the drag of all those heavy gogs whirring inb treacle.

Now
1/ Insert card in slot
2/ Push button
3/ put on seat belt. wriggle to get comfortable
4/ Engine suddenly springs into life seemingly like magic on its own.
Correct way to start any car - Crinkly Dave
I hired a new Renault last week
Started as described by Renault Family, except that it gave a message that it would not start unless I either pressed the brake pedal or clutch!
Correct way to start any car - martint123
I always depress the clucth. AFAIK most (all?) manual cars in the USA need the clutch pressed before they start. Possibly anti-lawsuit??

Correct way to start any car - inthewildteam
UK here m8,

but lived in Canada for 5 yrs (where it gets v cold)

Always depress clutch before operating the starter, less drain on starter motor having to turn over the gearbox and the engine together.

Volvo mechanic??? They used to use Renault engines, need I say more?
Correct way to start any car - Ivor E Tower
Key in ignition, turn until dash lights come on (oil pressure etc); put seatbelt on; depress clutch pedal if manual or check it is in "P" for auto; turn key to operate starter. This gives time for fuel pump to get primed, glow plugs to warm or whatever. I was also under the impression that on manuals, depressing the clutch pedal reduced the load on the starter. From memory, most car handbooks suggest that this is done, especially on cold mornings, specifically to reduce the load on the starter.
Correct way to start any car - Cliff Pope
So I think we are agreed then - depressing the clutch can be an aid to starting, especially in cold weather.
The theory that it wears out the clutch release bearing is rubbish. How many times do you depress the clutch in the course of a normal journey? So what extra % wear will result, even from one more operation?
If clutch release bearings were really so fragile, it would be worth perfecting clutchless gear changes!
Your Volvo mechanic should have more faith in his product. My release bearing has done 296,000 miles so far - perhaps one of his mates built that one?
Correct way to start any car - Ford Dagenham
Hello.

I have perfected clutch less gearchanges from third to 4th and 4th to 5th.

The basic principal is to remove from third and wait for engine and cog box to slow then pull down carefully and it wont even make a noise it just slips in a good thing to know if your clutch or cable goes.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
Correct way to start any car - Jonathan {p}
The theory that it wears out the clutch release bearing is
rubbish. How many times do you depress the clutch in the
course of a normal journey? So what extra % wear will
result, even from one more operation?

Cliff

Don't waste it, keep the clutch depressed and select first gear without releasing!

Jonathan
Correct way to start any car - Singer-G
My driving instructor, in the 1970s, taught me to press the clutch in before starting the car. However my second car, a 1966 Singer Gazelle, had a block of carbon as a thrust bearing. This was worn out, so pressing in the clutch mean't that the engine turned over more slowly. I got out of the habit, and have never gone back to it. I'm probably doing it all wrong, but I don't think it makes much difference.

Correct way to start a Lada - Singer-G
Lada used to recommend turning on the headlights for 10 seconds, then turning them off again and starting the engine. The theory was that it warmed the battery a little, without taking too much out of it.
Correct way to start a Lada - MrWibble
Alternatively drive an automatic and don't worry about it ! ;-)