Can a car be sold without a service book?

Is a dealer allowed to sell a car knowing there's no service book and not informing the buyer of this fact? Also, would they be duty-bound to inform the buyer that the car has been repaired?

Asked on 1 February 2021 by Ian Duncan

The dealer is legally obliged to tell you about any accident history that is known. If they fail to do so then you can reject the car and report them to Trading Standards. Not all cars are sold with a service book - as some manufacturers keep the entire service history online. But the seller should be able to show you the history (online) or provide printouts. If the car is advertised with a 'full-service history' and this is untrue (with no evidence supplied) then the car can be classed as 'missold' and rejected.

For your legal rights, see: www.honestjohn.co.uk/problems-with-a-new-or-used-c...s