Sprinter water leak - hamsterdangler
I have a 2000 Mercedes Sprinter 311 cdi van. 270000 miles. Runs extremely well but is losing water about one litre per 100 miles. I have checked for external leaks, for telltale marks around hose joints, radiator, heater matrix and water pump, nothing, I have had the system pressurised to 21 lb, about three times normal and run the engine for about ten minutes at about 2700 rpm with no fluctuation in pressure evident and no external obvoius leaks being forced. If the head gasket was faulty or head warped and the seal between water jacket and cylinder broken one would expect a pressurised water jacket but it is not so. Radiator cap was checked, o.k. Engine runs as normal, starts cleanly on four temp as normal slightly below 80C. There is no evident emulsion or water in the oil or oil in the water. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Michael
Sprinter water leak - event boy
i have a 2000 sprinter 411cdi. when we first got it a couple of years ago. we had the same problem.

it turned out that it was leaking from an overflow on the back of the head.

it was hardly noticable at idle but was pooring out at speed. at about the 1l per 100miles you suggested.

it turned out that the head was cracket so water was escaping.

hope this is some help
mark
Sprinter water leak - hamsterdangler
Thank you for your reply.

I have now had two sprinter CDI's, a 311 and 313 and both have ended up with a cracked head. With four valves per cylinder there is little metal between the valves and the head tends to crack between the valves. If you have a later vehicle is is easier to fix, you will still need a new head, gaskets etc. but if you have an early CDI i.e. 2000 there is a problem in that the injectors which are very long and narrow and go right down in the middle of the head can seize in. You have to get the injectors out to remove the cam cover before you can get the head off, so like Mercedes you would be likely to replace the whole engine unless you want to smash and replace the cam cover. So the cost of a new complete engine is more worthwhile. I have been advised that the injectors on later engines are less prone to seizing. I just got a second hand engine from a crashed van and fitted it. With only 36,000 miles on it, it was less than a quarter the price of a new unit.

Good luck with your van,

Regards,

Michael